starting strength gym
Page 6 of 339 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: ColoWayno's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Monday first day of 5-3-1
    (Cycle 1, Week 1)
    Weighed in at 200lbs (I don't know how I stay exactly this weight)

Well as excited as I was about starting this I still went off and forgot to write down what I was doing. I remembered pretty well though. I'm not sure I got the starting weight exactly right but it was pretty close.
    Press: 90% of 1RM = 125. I think I used 130 for my calculations.

Press: 85x5
    100 x 5
    112.5 x 8
    EZ-Curl Situps 2x10 with just the bar.
    Chins: 10,9
    After chins I did a barbell complex for conditioning with 65lbs for 10 minutes. I tried a fancy one "The Bear" but realized that I have never high bar squatted in my life and I was having a heck of a time getting the bar to go where it needed to be on my back without killing my shoulders. I never stop giving myself reasons to laugh.
    So I simplified it... a lot... I ended up just doing a hang clean into a full front squat, then a thruster from that position. I REALLY liked it although I could only manage one set with a 30 second break. I think working the hang clean like this should help my Power Cleans a lot. I'm going try to get to where I can do these on the 30 second mark and then inch it down to where I'm pretty much going full on for 10 minutes.
    I also bought some running shoes yesterday. I'm thinking I'll run Saturday morning.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-04-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Tuesday 5-3-1 Cycle 1, Week 1
    Weighed in at 200lbs (exactly again)
    (sets x reps x lbs)
    Squats: 1x5x190
    1x5x220
    1x10x250
    10 minutes of chilling
    Power Cleans (1 minute clock for 10 minutes)
    9x2x125,
    1x1x125

I was pretty happy with 10 reps on my squats. That was a weight that I was shaking under less than a year ago! I think I could have pumped out another rep. A guy ran over to spot me around rep 9 even though I was still feeling pretty strong. I'm not sure if for some weird reason the guy running over psyched me out into stopping at 10.
    My power clean session was cool. Not all of the reps were great, but I think there were some really good ones. I've been watching a lot of video, especially what happens with the hips when they extend. I'm starting to trust my reflexes a little bit more. I think that kind of volume and low rep sets is just what I needed. That routine was suggested to me on a thread in programming (I'll link when I find it). What was great was I got every rack until the very last planned rep which I missed. I don't think I could have picked a better weight or rep scheme for where I'm at right now.

http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ad.php?t=16587
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-05-2010 at 02:17 AM.

I love those PC's on the minute. They add up, don't they? One cool thing is how many extra reps you get over time, and how easy it is to measure progress on that sort of scheme. Glad to see you liked some of the programming advice I gave you. Have fun with it, work into it a little over time, and let me know if you have any questions. It'll be cool watching your log. I'm pretty anxious to get back into 5/3/1 with some metcon work myself, soon.

Yep, I was pretty tired by the end but still felt like I had time to get into a good start position and had a good chance at getting each rack.

Thursday (Cycle 1, Week 1)
    Weighed in at 199Lbs (after workout)
    (Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Bench: 1x145x5, 1x165x5, 1x185x11
    Dips: 1x5xBW, 6x3xBW
    Treadmill jog, 1 mile in just under 10 minutes.

Bench felt fine but my shoulder didn't feel ready for the dips. I have to figure out if I can dip or if I should do something else for a while. I don't think they made anything worse. I may have to just do a few low rep sets once a week and then another assistance that's easier on my shoulder.

I think I may keep the jog to 10 minutes for now and just try to up the pace. I don't think increasing the time is a great idea at this point. I can tell it's been a while since putting in miles. A year ago I had a sub 8 minute mile. I feel it in my shins immediately.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-07-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Friday (Cycle 1 Week 1)
    Weighed in at 201
    (sets x reps x lbs)
    Squats: 1x45x8, 1x5x135
    Deadlifts: 1x5x205, 1x5x235, 1x8x270

Saturday AM: 10 15 second (approx) hill sprints.

I opened with some easy squats because that still seems like the best way to warm up. Did all of the normal shoulder warmup and various other movements I'm used to doing.
    This was my most disappointing workout of the week. I realized a while back that I was not really breathing right on the deadlifts (was breathing at the top) I'm still uncomfortable breathing at the bottom and extra reps just made a bad problem worse. I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix, I just have to slow down and take a big breath or two at the bottom.
    The good news is I got my ass out of bed early enough to go out and do those hill sprints. I was thinking about the Wendler interview when Rip was talking about his hill sprints and blowing his calve on the 10th rep. I was feeling a little pain and tightness there but fortunately nothing bad happened. These sprints weren't very impressive but I found my form and energy improving toward the middle reps, getting more on my toes, etc. Now to work up to 20 reps and/or maybe some longer intervals mixed in.
    Got a late start due to the fact that I hung out and had pizza instead of going to the DEFAC. It seems like a change of pace like that is needed once in a while.
    Now to get two good nights of sleep before Week 2 begins.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-08-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Just thought I'd post a few days of my typical diet here:
    Saturday:
    Breakfast (PFC): (nearly always the same)
    4 Eggs Overcooked (they say it's safer that way, plus it's the only way they make 'em)
    4 Turkey Sausage links
    3/4 Cup (cooked) Oatmeal with 1TBLS of brown sugar
    Cappuccino (12 oz cup, probably 8 oz of milk) with round tbls creatine

Elevenses (PC):
    Fruit 1 cup (today was honeydew melon)
    3 egg whites
    2 Cups skim milk

Lunch (PF):
    Philly Cheese Steak (beef, peppers, cheese with no bun)
    1 Polish Sausage
    Veggies (carrots, bell pepper, broccoli)

Teatime: (PC)
    Protein Shake (50g Whey) in water
    Small Orange (cutie type)

Dinner: (PF)
    Hamburger with cheese (no bun)
    Pork Chop
    Veggies (carrots, bell pepper, broccoli)

Bedtime: Protein Shake (50g Whey) in water.

I hope carrots and bell peppers don't disqualify an otherwise protein + fat meal.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-08-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Sundays diet was pretty much identical to Saturdays except I didn't have any fruit in the afternoon.

1st and 2nd Breakfast: the same
    Lunch: same with a different meat (non memorable)
    Afternoon: Whey+H20
    Dinner: BBQ chicken, Broccoli and cheese.
    Bedtime: Whey+H20

So my last real carb intake was with my second morning meal, and whatever carbs were in the BBQ sauce that coated the chicken I ate for dinner. That was some of the first chicken I've had here that didn't make you gasp for a drink of water with each bite.
    In the afternoon I started to get that "dieting" feeling. I don't quite know how to describe it but if you've ever done deficit dieting or low carb you might know what I mean. I'll see what the scale tells me tonight. I'm not shooting for weight loss here.

Monday (5-3-1 Cycle 1, Week 2)
    Weighed in at 199lbs.
    (Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Squats (warmup): 1x8x45, 1x5x135
    Press: 1x3x90, 1x3x105, 1x8x117.5
    Hang Clean+Front Squat+Thruster Press: 20x1x65 on 30 second clock.
    Chins: 10x3xBW on a 1 minute clock
    EZ Curl Situps: 6x5x(bar weight) on a 1 minute clock

I like doing all of this stuff on the clock. The Hang Clean combo should actually start being a good conditioning exercise next week when I cut the clock down to 20 seconds. I need to change the chins, add weight or do them faster. I planned on doing 10 sets of situps but failed to keep my arms straight up on the 7th.

I love this guy, but I've got to stop getting political in Ends and Pieces, so I'll post it here. Here's Thomas Sowells latest:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ie_105521.html

RIP: Mom, Leigh-Ann, Evie, Ken, and Aunt Nance Ann
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-10-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Tuesday (5-3-1 Cycle 1, Week 2)
    Weighed in at 199lbs
    (Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Squats: 1x3x185, 1x3x210, 1x8x265
    Power Cleans 10x2x130 on the minute.

I decided to do my distance run after benching on Thursday since my hill sprints won't be until Saturday morning.

I must say the DOMS is great from Mondays workout. I really didn't think I was working that hard on the chins. Also I haven't felt DOMS like this in my ABZ in quite a while. Sweet DOMS.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 05-12-2010 at 01:31 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday (Cycle 1, Week 2)
    Weighed in at 200lbs
    (sets x reps x lbs)

Bench: 1x3x155, 1x3x175, 1x9x200

As soon as I walked in the gym I knew I had a problem... been running to the porta crapper every hour or so, now I have these achy joints. So I decided to just see what I could do on the bench press and get the heck out of there. I was pretty happy with 9x200.

After 9 hours of sleep, coffee and some Advil I feel ok. I'll play this evenings workout by ear. I could really use a day or two off but it's not to be until late July or so. My coping mechanism is just to sleep my ass off when I can.

I tried to find a simple meal replacement drink here to help me get some calories in. All they have are energy drinks and body building supps. This really sucks.

Page 6 of 339 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast