starting strength gym
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Better With Age

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Younger guy? 22 isn't young anymore?

Edit: To clarify, by staring date I meant when you started SS.

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be 22 again....and 6'3", 240'ish, for that matter. None of which is happening for me any time soon. As I mentioned in my intro, I wish I had discovered this program years earlier instead of wasting all those years dicking around the gym. The sky's the limit for you, City. I'll be tracking your progress, fellow Chicagoan.

Default 4/5/10

Today's work sets:

Front Squats 165 LBS x 5 x 3
    Overhead press 137.5 x4. Took off Microplates 135 x 5, 5
    Medium band goodmornings 15x3
    Pull-ups 6, chins 6, pull-ups 5

I'm closing in on 190 LBS. An unintended by-product of all the squats and milk is that a lot of my clothes no longer fit me. Especially older clothes. I had to go to a wake last night. I couldn't for the life of me find anything to wear. My suit is probably about 15 years or so old. Its a standard dark gray one that never goes out of style so I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. I was probably about 135 LBS when I bought it. It no longer fits. Neither did most of my jackets. I eventually found a pair of pants and jacket into which I managed to stuff myself. I Worried all night about rippage or the button shooting off my pants and accidentally blinding somebody. I've gotten so much bigger on a linear barbell training plan and eating like a man than I had in all my previous 8 years or so of "working out" combined. I'm not looking for 6-pack abz but I wouldn't mind losing some belly fat. Maybe time to cut some of the junk out of my diet.

Default 4/7/10

Took some ibuprofen for a headache before hitting weights. It probably kept my elbow pain in check as well. I think I'll stick with this bastardized advance novice set-up. I probably won't do the two light days next week as indicated in the book.

Today's work sets:
    Squats - 295 LBS 5x3
    Bench - 212.5 LBS x 5,5,4. Once again struggled with rep number 4 of 3rd set. Although I bench in a power cage, I have no spotter and have to be smart. It would still hurt if I missed that last rep. One of these days...
    cleans - 140 LBS 3x5 Form varies from rep to rep. Some feel right, the bar brushing my thigh and the jump, etc. On others, I stop to brush the thigh and it becomes a shrugging reverse curl thingy. Must find some consistency.
    Last edited by fnet; 04-07-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Wrong number entred for squat poundage

Default 4/10/10

Fuck! Shit! Piss! Balls!

I was all set to lift today. Nothing out of the ordinary. I usually follow a Sat./Mon./Wed. schedule. Two days rest. Decent night's sleep. Good breakfast, etc. I was even going to record my squats. Not having much of a life these days, I live for this shit. This is my golf or fishing or whatever the hell guys my age do for fun. I set up to do my warm-up sets. I felt tight. Did a couple extra empty bar squats, really working on my form (chest up, knees out, no butt wink, etc.). Nothing unusual but felt a little tight in the hamstrings. My last warm-up of 275 LBS felt heavy. I was set to do my scheduled 300 LBS. Came out with my feet too wide. Only got 4. Next set, I only managed 2. My elbow pain came back as bad as ever. As I reracked the bar, I was overcome with an overwhelming feeling of defeat. I felt really, really depressed. WTF? Its only a hobby for me. Its not life or death. I usally manage to power through. Today, I was too disgusted to go on. Do I try again tomorrow, or do I wait til Monday (my 45th birthday, BTW)? Last time I stalled out at 310 after a few attempts at 305. I thought I would have no trouble with 300.

These things happen. I felt like shit when I hit a stall, many actually. You need to look at this as an going progress. Certain things can be tweaked and adjusted, much like a chemistry experiment. And don't worry about progress you should be making. Just focus on making progress. I was actually kicking myself in the ass when I realized I probably wasn't going to make 405 for 5x3 on SS. I remember when I used to daydream about doing 315.

Default 4/11/10

I was not going to let my last day at 44 years old go down without a fight. I finished Saturday's session.

Squat 300 LBS x 5 x 2
    OHP 137.5 LBS x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 385. Failed on first attempt. Then managed 3 reps.

My elbows are barking at me, but I'm glad I finished. I hate to let a good weekend session go. I have much more energy. Often times after work, I am beat and the last thing I want to do is get under the iron.

Bought a cheap glute-ham bench off Craigslist. Footplate's a bit small, but maybe I can modify. I wanted a good Texas Power Bar form my B-day, but I can make do with my cheapo bars a little longer.
    Last edited by fnet; 04-11-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Its my 45th birthday and I celebrated by eating a slab of ribs.

Default 4/13/10

starting strength coach development program
    Didn't feel too bad after celebrating my 45th with a few Mojitos last night.
    Here are today's work-set numbers:

Front Squat: 170 LBS 5 x 3

Bench: 212.5 LBS x 5 x 3. Finally got that last rep of that last set up. It was touch and go but I went for it. Kept thinking I did not suffer the indignity of wiggling out from under the bar.

Glute/Ham Raises. Finally got to break in my newest toy. I had to play with the settings because I was squishing my balls. 3 sets of 10.

Alternating: Chin-ups 8, Pull-ups 5, Chin-ups 5

Just wanted to add that I set a goal last year of pulling 400 LBS before my birthday and I did it a couple weeks ago. Maybe I should set a similar goal of a 400 LB max squat for my next birthday.
    Last edited by fnet; 04-13-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added some info.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast