starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeezing a log out

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Grbrs View Post
    I have never posted before on here because I have found most of the answers to my questions before I needed to ask them by browsing this site, reading the books and applying a small amount of common sense.
    You are a good role model.

Thanks for the comments guys, you don't need too much imagination to guess what i was doing when i thought that up.

Also, an ab work question (i know there is a thread on it but this is different), i throw in a couple of sets of sit-ups at the end of most sessions, they are taxing, but when i try adding weight to them i sort of topple over backwards and my legs come up (don't laugh), if i anchor my legs i feel as though my hip flexors (correct me if this is wrong) are doing all the work. Any suggestions?

Also Also, i think that the Clarification article has come along just in time because for fuck sake some people are ridiculous!

Shit forgot this - ALSO there is a wicked article over on the Elite site at the moment about using a treadmill as a prowler substitute, i am definitely going to be giving this a shot, would love to do it in the week but my gym at Uni has no treadmill. Don't really want to put it between my heavy and medium days, we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Grbrs View Post
    ...there is a wicked article over on the Elite site at the moment about using a treadmill as a prowler substitute...
    I read that and an image flashed in my head of someone pushing a treadmill across a parking lot...

Situps do work the hip flexors, but you should initiate the movement with your abs. Spinal flexion first then hip flexion is another way to think about it.

Sunday 09/05/10 (Medium)

Squat – 130kgx5x3

Bench – 82.5kgx5x3

Push Press – 60kgx3, 70kgx3, 80kgx3

DB Row – 20kgx10, 30kgx10, 40kgx10, 52kgx5

Sit ups – unweightedx8, +5kgx8, +10kgx8

Pinched my thumb between two plates on Friday, its swollen and the nail is black so I decided not to clean today (it hurt to hook grip the bar) which sucked. Did some DB rows instead just for fun, grip was the issue on the heavy set.

Thanks Isis for the sit up advice, much better now thank you.

Squats were solid (as they should be), but I could feel the fatigue from Friday trying to creep up on me. I think if I understand correctly, this accumulation of stress over the medium and heavy day is designed to spur the adaptation so this is how its meant to be.

Just felt about with the push presses as I had never done them before. I think I prefer sets of 3 for this but if anyone has any input/suggestions it will be much appreciated.

I’m really enjoying training using this method. I really look forward to the heavy day and after the medium day I feel a bit beat up from the weekends heavier days so I look forward to a light day on Wednesday, after which I’m gagging for the heavy day by Friday!

Wednesday 12/05/10 (Light)

Squat – 105kgx5x3

Press – 57.5kgx5x4

Bench – 70kgx5x3

Back Extensions – 3x10

Chins – 4, 3, Lat pull downs – 55kgx15

Sit ups – 2x8 unweighted

Light day today. Took about 2 minutes rest between all work-sets. I think I am going to rotate the pressing exercise on light days from now on, so if I bench on a heavy day I’ll press on the light day, seems to make more sense.

Weighed in at 97kg (214lbs), I ordered Dominos pizza last night, apparently its buy one get one free on Tuesdays so I ended up with 2 large pizza’s, gave 4 slices away and annihilated the rest (ya hear that skinny guy!?) I’m also getting to the point where my belt is on its last notch and it was really a bit to tight today, I know a lot is from the pizza bloat but I need a new belt soon which is annoying. I got my last one from pullum sports, if anyone has any better suggestions (UK) I’m all ears.

Friday 14/02/10 (Heavy)

Squat – 150kgx5x2

Bench – 97.5kgx4, 4. 60kgx10

Deadlift – 160kgx5x1

Back to where I started on the squat, I’ve enjoyed the deload though, form is much more solid, feels much better, really helped my confidence when dealing with weights near my max. Failed to get all reps on my bench, I failed this weight on linear progression as well, I’ll try it again in two weeks. I’ve lost a few kilo’s bodyweight (intentionally) which may be somewhat to blame, my bench as always been heavily effected by my bodyweight.

Tuesday – 18/05/10 (Medium)

Squat – 135kgx5x3

Press – 65kgx5x3

DB Bench – 21kgx10, 27.5kgx10, 32kgx6

Power Clean – 72.5kgx3x3

Had a manic weekend with Uni work, final deadlines for big project is this week, got in the gym yesterday to hit my medium day. Ate maybe 2 meals all day Sunday and got rubbish sleep the whole weekend so felt like shit, no energy. Just glad I managed to hit everything I came in for. No light day this week unfortunately.

Friday 21/05/10 (Heavy)

Squat – 152.5kgx 3, 2

Press – 75kgx5x2

Power-clean – 75kgx3x3

Sit ups – 2x10

What I nightmare, I was shortly to have a rant on my log about there being logs on here which are just pages and pages of failed sets week after week followed by excuses and then I fail my squats today, maybe karma. And yes I have excuses! The bars where I trained today are chrome plated and they slip, I lost grip on my right hand side on both sets and it just kills my power in my legs and hips. My warm-up sets all felt really strong so I was pretty gutted. Next time I go (Sunday) I am covering the bar with athletic tape. Also cleaned as I trained with a friend and he wanted to, will deadlift on Sunday.

On another note, I have exams coming up at uni and I know my sleep this last week was rubbish (another excuse huh) and I know it will be for the next few weeks. I am considering maybe doing a mini diet over these next few weeks rather than just be disappointed with my training due to shit sleep. I feel like a pussy considering this but its been on the cards for a while and this seems like a good time to do it. Currently weighing 99kg (218lbs) Any input on this matter is appreciated, as to training, I thing Gary Gibson has a post here about what he is doing when he diets a bit so I’m gonna look to that for inspiration. I’ll probably try to follow the same sort of rotation as I do at the moment (H/M/L).

As I said and suggestions are warmly welcomed.

starting strength coach development program
    Sunday 23/05/10 (Medium)

Squat – 137.5kgx5x2

Bench – 85kgx5x2

Push Press – 75kgx3x2

Deadlift – 165kgx0

Friday 28/05/10 (Heavy)

Squat – 140kgx1, 150kgx1, 155kgx2

Bench – 95kgx5

Deadlift – 165kgx5

Leg Raises – 2x10

Sunday 30/05/10 ( Medium)

Squat – 140kgx5x2

Press – 67.5x5x3

DB Bench – 27.5kgx10, 32kgx10, 35kgx5

Power-Clean – 70kgx3x3

This is what I’ve been doing the last couple of weeks, pretty much only training twice a week (at the weekends) to keep the week-days free. I’m slap bang in the middle of my end of year exams, done 3, got 2 to go this week, after that I’ll be back training more consistently. Note the lowering of volume to coincide with the temporary calorie restrictions. Body weight was 94kg (207lbs) on Sunday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast