• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Gripper training:

- Attempted to close the 200, failed
    - closed the 200 with both hands and did a timed hold, 3 sets per hand
    - closed the 150 for 25 reps with each hand
    - closed the 150 for 18/17 reps with left and right hands respectively
    - timed hold with the 150 for each hand

I think this worked pretty well. We'll see next Sunday when I deadlift again.

Hey whuttup PVC, just dropping in to wish you well with your training and life in general. I recently bought Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 ebook so I thought I'd check out your log to see how its done in practice. Based on your numbers from the first training session, it seems you're using the 65%/75%/85% template.

Good luck!

Default Bench 3x3

Quote Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post
    Hey whuttup PVC, just dropping in to wish you well with your training and life in general. I recently bought Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 ebook so I thought I'd check out your log to see how its done in practice. Based on your numbers from the first training session, it seems you're using the 65%/75%/85% template.

Good luck!
    Thanks man, always welcome. I went with 65/75/85 because I don't want the first two sets to interfere with the last one, which is the most important. Five-rep warmup sets are surprisingly tiring.

Bench - 120x3, 135x3, 155x7

Right on schedule. It seems that for my press and bench press, every 5 lbs added to the bar represents one less rep that I can do. If this is correct, I should be doing 160x6 next week if all goes according to plan.

Ran out of time for assistance work. Conditioning later today, probably.

Default Conditioning

6 hill sprints

How are you liking the hill sprints? I was a dumbass and tried to "feel" them out in terms of fatigue. I was a wreck in the gym the next day.

Default Squat 3x3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    How are you liking the hill sprints? I was a dumbass and tried to "feel" them out in terms of fatigue. I was a wreck in the gym the next day.
    Really? The first time I did them I stopped when my sprint speed slowed down too much, and other than some pretty wicked calf soreness and some minor ab soreness I was fine. The second time I did them my sprint speed/acceleration improved and my rest times decreased, but my endurance was just as shitty so I had to stop at 6 again. I'm going for 8 next time.

Squat - 205x3, 230x3, 260x5
    Leg Press - 180x10, 270x10, 360x10x3 (weight added to sled)
    Ab Wheel - 4,1 on knees

Disappointing. It's funny, because when I was doing SS the bench and the press would be the first lifts to stall when I wasn't eating enough. Yet currently I'm trying to drop a few pounds and my presses are indifferent and my squat has been affected a lot. Cat Stevens was right: it's a wild world.

Also, for the ab wheel I think one single set might be ideal vs. multiple sets. However, it might just be that I can't do enough reps yet. I'll play around with it.

Yeah...I didn't stop when I started to slow down.

Default Press 5/3/1

Press - 95x5, 110x3, 125x4
    Chin ups - 7,5,4,4,3
    Dips - 7,5,4,3,2

I am so fucking tired and sore.

Today I worked an 11.5 hour shift at work, I was outside for most of this period, and it was 30+ degrees outside. Absolutely brutal. My shirt was soaked with sweat by noon. And then of course there's the soreness/tiredness from the squats and ab wheel (abs are particularly sore). All this culminates to my excuse for not getting 5 reps with 125. Any other day I would have gotten it, I swear. It just wasn't in the cards today.

How do you fail to press 125x5 and then chin 7 reps at 185lbs of bodyweight afterwards?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by famendoza View Post
    How do you fail to press 125x5 and then chin 7 reps at 185lbs of bodyweight afterwards?
    More like 183lbs of bodyweight at this point, but to answer your question I don't know. As I said, any other day of the week it would have been 125x5. Oh well. If I had squatted on Monday instead of Tuesday I probably would have been fine for 125x5 press on Wednesday, but then my squat would have suffered from hill sprints on Sunday. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast