starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PVC's 5/3/1 "Intermediate" Log

Default Conditioning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    7 Hill Sprints

I'm finally understanding that whole "focus on one goal at a time" thing when it comes to strength and conditioning. My lifts (especially the squat) are suffering from my conditioning workouts, and my conditioning workouts are suffering from my lifting. Don't you love it when you can confirm the things you learn about by experiencing them yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    7 Hill Sprints

I'm finally understanding that whole "focus on one goal at a time" thing when it comes to strength and conditioning. My lifts (especially the squat) are suffering from my conditioning workouts, and my conditioning workouts are suffering from my lifting. Don't you love it when you can confirm the things you learn about by experiencing them yourself?
    Indeed, just like all this fatigue & overttraining style sleeplessness from thie high volume group deadlifts ive done for the past couple weeks.

Default Deadlift 5/3/1

Deadlift - 260x5, 295x3, 335x5
    Good Mornings - 95x10x4
    Grip work - attempted to close 200, did holds with 200, did holds with 150

Next cycle I'm going to film my deadlifts, because I think I might be hitching them a little bit.

Default Bench 5/3/1

Bench - 125x5, 145x3, 160x5
    DB Bench - 60x6, 55x8, 55x6, 50x7

Another disappointing session. It would seem that, for me, on a 5 week schedule, skipping the assistance exercises for some of the sessions, 5/3/1 isn't enough volume. Doing each lift every 8-11 days hasn't been enough. Part of the reason I did the 5 week schedule was because I wanted to do hill sprints twice per week, but so far I've only managed to do them once per week anyways. The other reason was because there would be some weekends where I couldn't train, but so far that's only happened once out of 4 weeks. So, next cycle will be textbook 5/3/1, with each lift done once per week and tons of assistance exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by famendoza View Post
    How do you fail to press 125x5 and then chin 7 reps at 185lbs of bodyweight afterwards?
    Probably because there isn't enough volume on pushes?

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    I'm doing a 5 week version of 5/3/1 which has me doing each lift up to 11 days apart, and I've also been skimping on assistance exercises (even today I did it). 11 days between lifts is not enough volume for me. Next cycle (starting in 1.5 weeks from now) I will be trying the standard 4 week version of 5/3/1, with each lift done once per week and not skimping on assistance exercises. I will get back to you then. Okay?

Default Squat 5/3/1

Squat - 215x5, 245x3, 275x4
    Leg Press - 360x10x5
    Ab Wheel - 6 reps on knees

Didn't think I'd make 4 reps, especially since 245 felt so heavy. I think I could have gotten 5 reps, but it would have been a 5RM and I didn't want to go to failure (although I'm thinking it might be useful to go to failure once in a while on this program...I'll have to experiment). So my squat has dropped from a 290 5RM to a 275 5RM. Sigh. Well, by the end of the summer I'll be setting some nice PRs. Slow and steady wins the race.

Default Press - Deload

Press - 80x5, 85x5, 90x5
    Chinups - 8,6,4,3,2
    Dips - 7

Went to the gym too late, ran out of time to finish dips.

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    There's more mass PUSHING than there is PULLING. It's not a question of volume in this case because chins are harder by far than presses.

starting strength coach development program
    Goals for the end of the summer (since I'm thinking about it):

Squat - 305x5
    Deadlift - 360x5
    Bench Press - 185x5
    Press - 140x5
    Chinups - Set of 10 with 25 lbs added
    Conditioning - don't know, still working on this goal

And I'll test 1RMs on my lifts at this time as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast