starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dastardly Tackles Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by SamGriffin View Post
    You make a mockery of strength training.
    You don't know what dyspraxia is, do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I grew up with Dyspraxiawhich may explain some relative weakness overall due to my "wiring" and why it would take someone like me longer to perfect lifting patterns.

Dastardly,

for what my opinion is worth, I would go with PVC's advice. Start with a conservative target weight for your intensity day, and work back to 90% of that for your 5x5. In numbers, aim to squat 100Kg x5 on Intensity day, and do 5x5 of 90Kg on your volume day. Possibly lower, as you burnt yourself during the first week.
    Let your body adjust to the new rythm, I'm sure you will see the difference. You've got plenty of time to increase your weights.

I also see no problems with your switching to TM; if you felt you could not continue on linear progression, it's a sensible decision to switch. Yes, TM will make your progress slower, but I can't see that being a huge concern, especially if you plan to make strength training a long-term activity.

IPB

I appreciate your advice PVC & IPB, but im starting to think that I might like to vary my training regime somewhat. Maybe just for few weeks.

I understand that your are both probably right, but I feel like doing something different.

One of my strength/training goals from many months ago was to get decent at olympic lifts. Currently, I have not even found an effective way for me to clean/power clean. My front squats are also weak, I think I could benefit from getting stronger at them not just for the olympic thing, but also for balanced development.

Im thinking of putting together a temporary routine, which I might do for a few weeks or perhaps even months to focus on learning olympic lifts/front squats and working on my niggling shoulder problems.

A brief example of what this could be (at 3 different venues):

Day 1: (my regular old school dungeon gym)

Back Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Dips 3xF

Day 2: (free access at local tennis club, no barbells there, but decent amount of females)

Lunges 3x10
    DB incline/shoulder press 3x12
    Chins Maximum volume.

Day 3: (gym at local college, has bumper plates & 1 platform)

C&J or Snatches.
    Press 3x5
    Front Squat 3x3
    Deadlift 5RM

Something like this is what "my body" is suggesting would work for me right now. There is enough variety in squatting movements that I shouldnt get burnt out. It should give me a chance to focus on learning the olympic lifts (which is fun) while hopefully spurring some progress on squats & pressing movements by having the right acessory exercises to fix some of my weaknesses. I probably need to fit some good mornings/RDL's in there somewhere too.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 06-14-2010 at 09:55 AM.

My 2c, from my experience, with *my* body:

1. You need to do the Olympic lifts more than once a week to learn them.
    2. Learning the full, classic lifts without a coach will be difficult and potentially counterproductive, and it is inconsistent with what your primary goal should be right now, getting stronger.
    3. Every time I've gone down the road of adding or subbing assistance exercises for the core lifts, I've dug myself a hole it took at least a month to dig out from.

My recommendation is Texas, as rx'd, with minimal or no assistance, start 10% below where you think you should start.

PS - No one is saying you can't front squat on recovery day and do some technique work on the power versions of the Oly lifts.

Thanks Rhymer, I agree with your idea in the long term. But im feeling a little burnt out and bored of doing the same thing, I had that epiphany on my brief week on TM, I just thought it sucked. Was not enjoying it.

Im going to spend a few weeks mixing it up, for the fun/mental aspect as well as working different movements to help with knee & shoulder problems. I will have another go at TM (starting conservatively) or possibly look into joining a powerlifting club for coaching in a few weeks.

Dips & Seated DB pressing will help with shoulders.

Lunges & front squat will help with hips & knees.

In the past I have used lunges to rehab knee issues (last year) they work pretty well and make my knees feel good, because they involve a greater ROM for the knee and get the glutes to work hard holding the femoral head in place. Ive noticed some femoral shifting in squats lately.

I realise that 1 day per week is not optimal for learning lifts, but it is better than nothing.

I have been reading about the Starr heavy/light/medium concept. I think I can get this to work like that.

Day 1: Heavy

Back Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift: 5rm
    Dips: 3xf

Day 2: Light

Lunges 3x10
    DB seated/incline press:3x12
    Chins/Pullups: 5xF

Day 3: Medium

C&J or Snatches
    Front Squat 5x3
    Press 3x5
    Power Pull - maybe?
    Abdominal work -maybe

Maybe worse than nothing, actually, if you're thinking you want to compete some day. But if you're just mucking around and willing to not progress so much if at all, have at.

Heavy SN and Cl+J without a coach might be detrimental to your shoulders, though, BTW. If you're basically just deloading, don't hurt yourself in the process.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rhymer View Post
    Heavy SN and Cl+J without a coach might be detrimental to your shoulders, though, BTW. If you're basically just deloading, don't hurt yourself in the process.

Oh, it certainly will not be heavy! I suck so bad at the quick lifts that I can barely move any weight. I will be focusing on VERY light weights for the snatch, possibly just the empty bar! C&J will be with a little more than what I can press. I will be very much focusing on learning good technique, especially dropping into a squat.

The main stimulus on that day will come from the front squats and possibly "power pulls" if it seems plausible to include them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123