starting strength gym
Page 80 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: bob g goes TM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well, O, it was a close run thing but the Brownie was pardoned at the last minute. We were coming down from the camping spot, it was really hot, we were low on ice, and weren't set up right for a shore lunch. So he still swims. Man, I could get used to that kind of fishing. The Deschutes is indeed beautiful. You should see #1 cast a fly. Wow, has she taken to it.

Wednesday Aug 15 - Recovery

Squat 45x5x2, 95x5, 155x5, 225x3, 275x1x2
    Press 45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 155x1, 195x1x2

This was my first time under the bar in 12 days so I took it easy. I'll get some easy bench and deads in tomorrow then it's off to the the SS Seminar, Milwaukee style, for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    This was my first time under the bar in 12 days so I took it easy. I'll get some easy bench and deads in tomorrow then it's off to the the SS Seminar, Milwaukee style, for the weekend.
    Take a pen and note taking material. You are going to be blown away by the amount of information. This is a great seminar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Take a pen and note taking material. You are going to be blown away by the amount of information. This is a great seminar.
    I second this. If you're going just to learn, it's amazing. If you're going to get your SS Certifcation, bring your A-Game. They have really high standards. Hope you really enjoy it!

Thanks, guys. I feel like a kid going back to school. I have a new note book and pencils and a back pack.

Thursday Aug 16 - Recovery (continued)

Bench 45x5x2, 95x5, 155x5, 205x3, 245x3, 285x1x2
    Deads 95x5, 135x5, 225x3, 275x3

This was another easy night to get back into the swing of things after vacation and to not overdo it before the Seminar. I stocked up on some Wisconsin barley pops and plenty of Tru Moo. I'll see some of you there.

Fri – Sun, August 17-19 at the SS Seminar in Milwaukee

All five big lifts.

Things learned:

Squats,
    • My natural form is ˝” too high.
    • Rip yells at people who squat ˝” too high.

DL,
    • I don’t do these very often and I needed, um, guidance on my set up. It wasn’t awful but it wasn’t right.
    • Doing DLs after a big breakfast, squats, and a big lunch is not optimal.

Press,
    • Actually, I have these down pretty well.

Clean,
    • I was pleasantly surprised. I haven’t done these in a long, long time. The last time I did I fubared and came close to breaking a wrist.
    • I worked up to a confident 155 triple with a bit left in the tank. Cool.

Bench,
    • My ass doesn’t fit on the skinny HS bench.
    • The work set was fine; these are what I’m good at.

In general, I have work to do on the squat and DL starting positions to engage the hamstrings in the set up. I’ve been self taught so far with the SS techniques for these lifts and am looking forward to doing them now with my fresh edumacation. Pressing is what I’m most comfortable with; I think my numbers speak for themselves here. I won’t need to change up technique on these. I don’t know how I will put cleans into my program but I have the confidence to do so now. I kind of wish I came into the seminar directly from normal training but I just got back from a long vacation. My top sets would have been higher and closer to my normal working weights. Plus, I wouldn’t be so stinking sore right now.

All in all this was a blast and very informative. Rip, Stef, Juli, Wolf, Steve and Tom are great folks and really know their shit. Go to the seminar near you if you can swing it.

Cool, I'm glad to hear you really got a lot out of the seminar, Bob! That is awesome.

How soon before you are pressing 250 overhead? BTW, I don't know if I ever got your BW. When we met I thought you looked mighty lean, course, I didn't ask you to strip down, don your speedo's and oil up though.

If you ended up with 250 overhead, would that BW or over?
    Last edited by Oldster; 08-20-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Your experience is similar to many others...I assure you. You will certainly get better as you apply you edumacation...

Humbling experience, ain't it?

I wish I coulda been there with you. Sounds like you had a blast.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Cool, I'm glad to hear you really got a lot out of the seminar, Bob! That is awesome.

How soon before you are pressing 250 overhead? BTW, I don't know if I ever got your BW. When we met I thought you looked mighty lean, course, I didn't ask you to strip down, don your speedo's and oil up though.

If you ended up with 250 overhead, would that BW or over?
    It was a really good learning experience, a lot of fun, and a lot of WORK. I haven't done that kind of volume on back to back days in many years.

I'm hardly lean, I will spare the psyches of the citizenry and never wear a speedo in public. I haven't been on a scale in months but figure I'm around 230 so, yeah, if I get to a 250 press it will be over BW. I got a 230 double earlier this year so this could be doable.