starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lifting Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So thoughts on this first cycle of 5-3-1

I like the structure of the main lifts. Consistent, but with a little variety. I should be able to chug along just fine and get up to and then past my old PRs with these hopefully

My main problem is with the assistance stuff. I am not sure how to tell if it is working. Should I expect immediate improvements? will they come in the assistance lift, or the main lift or both?

For example, pendlay rows are getting very tough for me, i feel very little improvement. Also once a week is not enough for push-ups. But I feel like handstands are improving nicely.

so tweaking it for next cycle:

Mon
    BS
    pull-ups
    hill sprints

Tues
    Press
    Handstands
    push-ups/z-press superset/metcon thingy? (3 rounds, 10/5)?

Thurs
    PC
    DL
    Chins
    GMs

Friday
    Bench
    Ring dips/supports
    tabata push-ups

whatcha all think?

PC/DL/GM all on the same day? I feel sorry for your spinal erectors.

Yes, push-ups at least twice a week, but not tabatas, and you can't neglect basic sit-ups as well. Go take a look at what Ryan Long posted in his article on his own Army conditioning. That might make a better baseline for your training.

I am still alive

I had to drop 5/3/1, it was to little volume so and the 5 rep week crushed me. I was devastatingly sore, as well as failing reps. I think the frequency was just not enough for me, at least at that level of advancement. So I switched back to a similar program to what i did over the summer.

Mon:
    BS
    Press

Wed:
    FS
    Push Press

Fri:
    DL
    Bench

If i have time I will throw in chins, or ab work on random days. I have gotten 2-3 weeks out of this, though i do not do mon-wed-fri, more like whenever i get a chance with sometimes 4-5 days in between workouts. But I am progressing and feeling better than before, so hopefully I can do this till i get some of my strength back then maybe try 5/3/1 out again when i am more advanced. I may try to post some of these workouts, but time is just so limited that i can promise nothing...

Robert, you have to do enough to keep you balanced, that's all. Studies come first, and sleep above all. Keep up the good work.

Ok I am going to try to post again, we will see how that goes though... Here is my new program, did a slight tweak to keep it interesting.

Day 1
    BS 3x5
    Press 3x5

Day 2
    DL 1x5
    Bench 3x5

Day 3
    Snatch - build to heavy single, drop 5-10lbs and do 4-6 singles there
    Clean+Jerk (if the jerk fails but clean feels good, i will keep going just clean) - same as snatch

So I am dropping FS, Push Press day, but am doing the full version of the olympic lifts. I enjoy FS but am hoping I will be able to get my Clean up to the point where it will be enough to be a similar stress to my FS's. Plus i think the explosive lifting will benefit me. I figure I will do linear progression on this with 1-2 days rest between lift days for as long as possible. Hopefully I can orient this around school enough to stay consistent enough to get back to where i was, and maybe even improve my oly lifts a bit.
    Last edited by Robert Callahan; 09-24-2010 at 01:36 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
    I had to drop 5/3/1, it was to little volume so and the 5 rep week crushed me.
    I had trouble adapting to the drop off in volume too. I noticed it the most when it came time to squat. I think it comes down to advancement level and getting the accessory exercises right (which I also had trouble with).

Keep up the good work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123