starting strength gym
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Srini B - Intermediate Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For squats, since they felt quite heavy the last 2 weeks (Volume days), I relooked at the weights being used and weights on Volume days are just about 4 kilos less than weights used on Intensity Days. This is probably a bit too much and I think it is advisable to use 90% (approx) of Intensity Day weights, during Volume Days. So, I reset today's (Volume) Squat weight to be 90% of this week's Intensity (1x5) Squat weight.

Dec 21, 2010 (Tue) (Volume)

Main:
    LBB Squat (5x5) 100 kgs
    OHP (5x5) 48 kgs
    Power Clean (6x2) 54 kgs

Assistance:
    Parallel Bar Dips (3x5) (Body Weight)

Note:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers & no shoes allowed here)
    2. Was generally feeling a bit beat and not very motivated today - even felt a bit bored initially. Maybe this happens sometimes, on the first weekly workout which follows after a couple of days' rest.
    3. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5) & 22 kgs (1x5)]. Maybe time to increase weight on my second set, from next time.
    4. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 40 kgs (1x5), 60 kgs (1x3), 80 kgs (1x2)
    5. Squat - No belt in worksets 1-4 – used belt in the final (5th) set.
    6. OHP - no issues. I am surely using the "rebound/bounce" effect in good measure - would like to make sure this is ok and not too excessive. Need to post a video of my OHP.
    7. Power Clean - definitely feels much easier if I remember to keep my shoulders ahead of the bar, and therefore, ensure that the angular momentum from opening hips forcefully (upon reaching mid thigh position and in addition to jumping), results in linear upward momentum on the bar. That is, if hips are opened too soon, I/we lose this advantage and then, the bar appears to be quite heavy. Snap at the top of course, happens after hips have opened. If done correctly and in the right sequence/timing, bar certainly appears weightless and racks perfectly. Still I might have a little bit of an issue still with lateral splitting a bit more than recommended - need to watch for this and avoid doing it.
    8. Need to reach down some more on the Parallel Dips.

------------------
    Last edited by Srini B; 12-22-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Dec 23, 2010 (Thu) (Recovery)

Main:
    LBB Squat (2x5) 82 kgs
    BP (3x5) 68 kgs

Assistance:
    Back Hypers 4x10
    Chin Ups BW-C3, C3, C5

Notes:

2. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5) & 22 kgs (1x5)].
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> Front Squat 20 kgs (2x5), 30 kgs (1x5), 45 kgs (1x3), 60 kgs (1x2)
    4. BP - No Problems. Could/should have really gone a little less on the weights for the Bench (according to the TM spreadsheet provided by one of the forum users), but decided to use this weight (68 kgs) as it was relatively easier to load the bar with this weight, (5 plates, 6 kgs each, on either side, with an 8 kg bar).
    5. Assistance Exercises - No Problems, except Chin Ups have very low numbers as always. Switched to Chin Ups today - don't think I am going up, upto/beyond my Chin level...maybe, just upto my forehead. (I hate pull-ups & chin-ups!!!!!). By the way, no problems with including an "extra" set of Back Hypers (4 sets of 10 reps, instead of the usual 3 sets of 10 reps).

-----------------------------------

Missed last Saturday's Intensity workout (Christmas), so decided to do the same Intensity workout today (Mon). Actually this went well...very very well...

Dec 27, 2010 (Mon) (Intensity)

Main:
    LBB Squat (1x5) 112 kgs
    OHP (2 RM) 52 kgs
    DL (1x5) 128 kgs

Assistance:
    Good Mornings (3x10)
    Push Ups (3xF) - BW - 13, 12, 11

Note:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers & no shoes allowed here).
    2. As part of overall initial warm ups, Overhead Squat [(empty bar)10 kgs (1x5) & 22 kgs (1x5)]. The set with 22 kgs felt a bit more unstable than I would have liked it to be. Let's see how it goes the next time.
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 45 kgs (1x5), 65 kgs (1x3), 90 kgs (1x2)
    4. Squat - The 1 workset (5 reps) was done with belt. No problems whatsoever. Felt very very easy, in fact. Maybe I don't need to micro-load the Squat and DL...well, for now, I'll just take it safe and continue to microload (2 kgs approx increase, each time) - afraid to go too fast and then, stall....
    5. OHP - Was easy, way too easy.
    6. DL - Warm Ups -> 60 kgs (2x5), 82 kgs (1x3), 106 kgs (1x2)
    7. DL workset felt quite easy too. The last rep was a tad difficult.
    8. Generally, feel very strong today...!!!
    9. Did Good Mornings too...didn't feel anything from doing them. Will still need to verify and see if I am doing them correctly. Maybe need to add some weight to the bar.
    10. Push Ups - no problem with counts. Triceps feel great (pretty pumped up) after the 3 sets. One more time with these same reps and perhaps, then, time to increase reps - approaching 15 reps...excited!!!

Last edited by Srini B; 12-27-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Dec 29, 2010 (Wed) (Volume)

Main:
    LBB Squat (5x5) 102 kgs
    BP (5x5) 74 kgs
    Power Snatch (6x2) 38 kgs

Assistance:

Notes:

2. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5) & 22 kgs (1x5)]. Felt more stable this time. Maybe time to increase weight on my second set, from next time.
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 40 kgs (1x5), 60 kgs (1x3), 80 kgs (1x2)
    4. Squat - No belt in worksets 1-3 – used belt in the final two (4th & 5th) sets.
    5. BP - no issues.
    6. Power Snatch - no issues.
    7. Did remember to reach down some more on the Parallel Dips. Looking forward to completing 15 reps at BW and then, to start doing weighted Parallel Dips.

------------------

Dec 31, 2010 (Fri) (Recovery)

Main:
    LBB Squat (2x5) 82 kgs
    OHP (3x5) 46 kgs

Assistance:
    Back Hypers 4x10
    Chin Ups BW-C3, C3, C4

Notes:

2. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5) & 22 kgs (1x5)].
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> Front Squat 20 kgs (2x5), 30 kgs (1x5), 45 kgs (1x3), 60 kgs (1x2)
    4. OHP - No Problems.
    5. Assistance Exercises - the usual - no new issues...

Jan 4, 2011 (Tue) (Intensity)

Main:
    LBB Squat (1x5) 114 kgs
    BP (2 RM) 82 kgs
    DL (1x5) 130 kgs

Assistance:
    Good Mornings (3x10)

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers & no shoes allowed here).
    2. As part of overall initial warm ups, Overhead Squat [(empty bar)10 kgs (1x5) & 22 kgs (1x5)].
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 40 kgs (1x5), 60 kgs (1x3), 85 kgs (1x2). Must have copied these warmup numbers incorrectly - should have been 20 kgs, 45 kgs, 65 kgs and 90 kgs, actually.
    4. Squat - The 1 workset (5 reps) was done with belt. No problems whatsoever. Felt quite easy.
    5. BP - Felt easy (both reps). One issue was that the spotter helped with the 2nd rep at the very top, so I continued with another rep, this time making sure that spotter did not help. Still felt easy - not too much difficulty.
    6. DL - Warm Ups -> 60 kgs (2x5), 82 kgs (1x3), 106 kgs (1x2)
    7. DL workset felt reasonably easy too. The last two reps were a tad difficult. No belt yet, as the belt available in the gym is quite broad along the back, which makes it extremely difficult when bending for DL. So no belt yet... Will need to purchase a narrower WL belt for use during DL's, soon...
    8. Again, felt pretty strong today, overall...!!! But, was a slow starter again, today.
    9. Did Good Mornings too...didn't feel anything from doing them. Don't think I will add weight to the bar for GMs just yet, as these follow a heavy (for me) set of DL - so, don't want to overload and risk injury/stall on the main lifts.
    10. Push Ups - 1st two sets were not a problem. On the third set, could not get past 9 reps and "collapsed" on the 10th, (and of course, didn't get to finish the 11th rep). Maybe need more recovery time between sets, (gym was closing towards my 2nd and 3rd sets). Anyway, need to get stronger with this!!!

I could not workout after the Tue Intensity workout last week, as I was affected by cold, mild chest congestion and cough, (everyone at work is coughing). Also, some of the medicines made me drowsy/groggy, & so, although I was planning on working out since Thu last week, just couldn't do it.

Jan 10, 2010 (Mon) (Volume)

Main:
    LBB Squat (5x5) 104 kgs
    OHP (5x5) 50 kgs
    Power Clean (6x2) 56 kgs

Assistance:

Notes:

2. Was a very slow starter - perhaps, because of having worked out just once last week.
    3. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5) & 22 kgs (1x5)].
    4. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 40 kgs (1x5), 60 kgs (1x3), 80 kgs (1x2)
    5. Squat - No belt in worksets 1-3 – used belt in the final two (4th & 5th) sets. All sets felt heavy - again, same reason as above, I think.
    6. OHP - Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 25 kgs (1x5), 30 kgs (1x3), 40 kgs (1x2).
    7. OHP - worksets felt very heavy, so much so, I was thinking of perhaps resetting OHP Volume weights lower (similar to what I did with Squat Volume weights). The 1st two sets, I started all reps from the bottom - so, reps started to feel heavy towards the end of the set. The 3rd set, after the 1st rep, I made sure that subsequent reps started at the top (with adequate breathing) - 5th rep, still felt heavy. The 4th set (5th rep) especially felt very heavy. Figured that this could be due to the fact that bar was about 1/4 to 1/2 feet away from my face on the way up. So, wore belt for the 5th set AND made sure that the bar was not far away from my face on the way up. Actually, this made the 5th set quite easy - so, don't know about needing to reset to lower weight on OHP Volume. (Still, OHP Volume weight is pretty pretty close to OHP Intensity weight at this time).
    8. Power Clean - felt heavy, but completed all reps. Thinking to repeat this weight again next week, just to ensure that it feels more comfortable.
    9. Completed 3 sets of Parallel Dips - since it was nearing gym closing time, (and I was pretty tired at this point), might not have reached down too deep on all the reps. Will ensure to reach down deep, again, next time...

------------------
    Last edited by Srini B; 01-10-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Jan 12, 2011 (Wed) (Recovery)

Main:
    LBB Squat (2x5) 82 kgs
    BP (3x5) 68 kgs

Assistance:
    Back Hypers 3x10 (with 6 kg weight)
    Chin Ups BW-C3, C3, C3

Notes:

2. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5)].
    4. Squat - workset (2x5) - LBB with 82 kgs - no problems.
    5. BP - No Problems.
    6. Assistance Exercises (Back Hypers) - given earlier discussion in forum regarding Back Hypers being more effective when (increasing) weights are used, rather than increasing the number of Hypers, I decided to limit myself to 3 sets of 10 reps (and skipped the 4th set I added last week), but added 6 kgs weight. Gym master here advised me to complete the 1st set with just Bodyweight and then, use the 6 kg weight in the next 2 subsequent sets. That's what I did. The workout felt incredible on my lower back - I was a bit sore for about 10-15 mins, but what a workout!!! Certainly, a lot more workout than just increasing rep count - no doubt about it.
    7. Chinups - the usual - struggled to complete 3 reps in each of the 3 sets (what a surprise)!!!

Last edited by Srini B; 01-12-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Jan 14, 2011 (Fri) (Intensity)

Main:
    LBB Squat (1x5) 116 kgs
    OHP (3 RM) 52 kgs
    DL (1x5) 132 kgs

Assistance:
    Good Mornings (3x10)

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers & no shoes allowed here). However, as I was planning on getting a form check video of my squat workset - so, talked to Gym Owner and got it ok'ed to wear shoes today. By the way, shoes I am wearing are not WL shoes (yet), but they do have a flat hard sole and do not have too much heels - so using them for now. Looking for WL shoes to buy here, but most everything available here have much more than 1/2 inch soles - so still looking...
    2. As part of overall initial warm ups, Overhead Squat [(empty bar)10 kgs (1x5) & 22 kgs (1x5)]. Cool...
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 45 kgs (1x5), 65 kgs (1x3), 90 kgs (1x2).
    4. Squat - The 1 workset (5 reps) was done with belt. No problems whatsoever. Felt reasonably easy. Did manage to get a form check video (please see link below - any comments are much appreciated). Please Note, I have also submitted same video in the MR Q&A forum - video is still a bit grainy and I do take about 20 secs to actually start squatting, sorry - anyway, hope it gets approved...
    5. OHP (Workset was done Belted). Felt easy (all 3 reps).
    6. DL - Warm Ups -> 50 kgs (2x5), 75 kgs (1x3), 110 kgs (1x2)
    7. On the DL workset (unbelted), what happened was, an asshole was breathing down my neck, asking me a gazzillion times during my warmup sets, if I was done (I use the Squat bar to DL - it's the only bar that is 7 ft in length at this gym). So, I think unwisely, I might have hurried a bit to get started on the workset - consequently, om the last (5th) rep, felt I might not have locked lower back as well as I would have liked to - felt like lower back rounded a bit, but not sure. So, will repeat DL with same weight next Intensity day. By the way, the AH who was breathing down my neck during the DL warmups, came running over the moment I completed the last rep - I didn't get even a couple of secs from my "not so great" 5th rep, before I had to begin unloading the bar. Anyway, the AH then got the bar back on the squat rack and proceeded to do a bunch of 1/4 squat sets, looking up at the ceiling on the way up on all reps, grunting and screaming all the time. GOSH!!! (sorry for the "long" story here)...
    8. Did Good Mornings - initially thought of adding weights, but after the "not so great" 5th DL rep, decided to continue with an empty bar for all 3 sets today. Maybe, will add some weights next time.
    9. Push Ups - no problems whatsoever, all sets/reps completed as planned.

My Squat Form Check Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKCNYh9jcuo

starting strength coach development program
    Could not visit gym for a whole week, initially due to Monday being a holiday everywhere here. My daughter had a dance program on Tuesday. The rest of the week, we all came to know that my Dad now has a heart condition and I had to take him to the Doctor's many times.

Jan 24, 2011 (Mon) (Volume)

Main:
    LBB Squat (5x5) 106 kgs
    BP (5x5) 76 kgs
    Power Snatch (6x2) 40 kgs

Assistance:

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers). I am wearing shoes here these days - flat, hard soled shoes, but not WL shoes yet.
    2. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5)].
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 40 kgs (1x5), 60 kgs (1x3), 80 kgs (1x2)
    4. Squat - All sets belted. Was difficult to some extent, perhaps owing to the more than 1 week gap since the last workout, but managed to complete all sets. Belt helped a great deal.
    5. BP - actually, this felt more difficult than even the squat. Completed all 5 sets, however, on the 3rd and 5th sets, spotter helped with the final rep. It is so difficult to get these "spotters" at this gym to keep their hands off. Anyway, looks like, I will need to repeat this volume weight. Let's see...
    6. Power Snatch - couldn't get to do any snatches done today, as it was already 2 hours almost since I came to the gym, and I was also quite tired. Will try to get this done during Recovery day.
    7. No depth whatsoever in the Parallel Dips - was quite tired and it was gym closing time...

------------------
    Last edited by Srini B; 01-26-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast