Jan 26, 2011 (Wed) (Recovery)

Main:
    LBB Squat (2x5) 82 kgs
    OHP (3x5) 48 kgs

Assistance:
    Back Hypers 3x10 (with 6 kgs)
    Chin Ups BW-C3, C3, C5

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers here). Did not wear shoes today.
    2. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5)].
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> Front Squat 20 kgs (2x5), 30 kgs (1x5), 45 kgs (1x3), 60 kgs (1x2). No Belt.
    4. Squat - Workset (LBB) - no problems. Unbelted.
    5. OHP - Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 30 kgs (1x5), 35 kgs (1x3), 40 kgs (1x2). No Belt.
    6. OHP - Workset. All 3 sets belted. No Problems. Felt easy today.
    7. Assistance Exercises - Back Hypers - all 3 sets with 6 kgs weight. Resulted in a bit of a sore back.
    8. Chinups - same...no new issues.
    9. Tried to Power Snatch, but felt tired from the sore back (due to Back Hypers). Need catch up on Power Snatch next week then.

-----------------------------------

Jan 29, 2011 (Sat) (Intensity)

Main:
    LBB Squat (1x5) 118 kgs
    BP (3 RM) 82 kgs
    DL (1x5) 134 kgs

Assistance:
    Good Mornings (3x10)
    Push Ups (3xF) - BW - 13, 12, 11

Notes:

1. Was having a little bit of a chest congestion and a slight feeling of feverishness (although, there was actually no fever). So, didn’t feel at my best today. However, did not want to skip yet another workout day – so, made it to the gym today.
    2. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers here).
    3. As part of overall initial warm ups, Overhead Squat [(empty bar)10 kgs (1x5)]
    4. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 45 kgs (1x5), 65 kgs (1x3), 90 kgs (1x2).
    5. Squat - The 1 workset (5 reps) was done with belt. Was ok, but on the 3rd rep, leaned forward a bit and spotter immediately pulled me back as I was coming out of the hole. Think, spotter might have also helped me a bit on my 5th rep. And, since I did not feel a 100% ok health-wise today, not sure, if I should be repeating this Squat Intensity weight again.
    6. BP (Workset was done Belted). Felt easy (all 3 reps). But, bounce definitely present (not off the chest, though). If I did stop for a second between reps (like Bill Starr says), not sure if I would complete all 3 reps - may not be a bad idea to check this out too.
    7. DL - Warm Ups -> 50 kgs (2x5), 75 kgs (1x3), 110 kgs (1x2).
    8. On the DL workset (belted), felt a bit tired. Could only manage 3 reps and was more like 3 singles - could have been due to the fact that this belt construct makes it difficult to Deadlift (broader in the back). Anyway, beyond the 3rd rep, thought my lower back would very likely start to round. So, did not continue further. Thinking, I might have to consider this as a 3 RM weight and go from there!!?
    9. Could not accomplish any assistance exercises today, due to not feeling ok.

Could not visit gym earlier in the week due to personal commitments. Also, Tuesday, I went to the the WL Hall at Nehru stadium (about 50 kms from here) and then found out that the WL Hall is unavailable for 3 days (some competition has been scheduled). By the time I returned back to RedBulls Gym, it was too late and not enough time for a Volume day workout.

Feb 03, 2011 (Thu) (Volume)

Main:
    LBB Squat (5x5) 108 kgs
    OHP (5x5) 50 kgs
    Power Snatch (6x2) 40 kgs

Assistance:
    Parallel Bar Dips (3x5) (Body Weight)

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers & no shoes allowed here).
    2. Arrived quite late at the gym, due to horrendous traffic blockage...consequently, had to hurry through my workouts.
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 40 kgs (1x5), 60 kgs (1x3), 85 kgs (1x2)
    4. Squat - All sets belted. All worksets felt good.
    5. OHP - Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 25 kgs (1x5), 35 kgs (1x3), 40 kgs (1x2).
    6. OHP - Worksets - all belted...no problems whatsoever. Narrowed grip just about a 1/2 inch to ensure that forearms are absolutely vertical at the bottom. Also, reworked the grip, so "palms are facing the ceiling and bar is close to wrist and not the fingers". Made a huge difference, I think.
    6. Power Snatch - Gym Owner agreed to give me 10-15 mins. after gym closing time to get these done. There were also a couple other guys doing ab crunches that he was supervising. Anyway, Power Snatch went very well. Two things helped immensely, I think. One was (similar to the Power Clean), it does help quite a lot, to have the shoulders just ahead of the bar, just before the triple extension. Second, made sure to have proper posture (bent knees) when receiving the bar at the top. All sets were easy. Only difficulty was to catch the bar on the way back down (no bumpers here and there is no way to drop the bar). Absolutely enjoyed the Power Snatch sets.
    7. Had no time to do Parallel Dips today.

------------------
    Last edited by Srini B; 02-03-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Feb 05, 2011 (Sat) (Recovery)

Main:
    LBB Squat (2x5) 86 kgs
    BP (3x5) 68 kgs

Assistance:
    Chin Ups BW-C3, C3, C3

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers here & shoes are not allowed here).
    2. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5)].
    3. Squat – Warm Ups -> Front Squat 20 kgs (2x5), 30 kgs (1x5), 50 kgs (1x3), 65 kgs (1x2). No Belt.
    4. Squat - Worksets (LBB) - no problems. Unbelted.
    5. BP - Workset. No Problems.
    6. Assistance Exercises - Back Hypers - all 3 sets with 6 kgs weight. Resulted in a bit of a sore back.
    7. Chinups - same...no new issues.

Feb 8, 2011 (Tue) (Intensity)

Planned:

Main:
    LBB Squat (1x5) 120 kgs
    OHP (1 RM) 56 kgs
    DL (1x5) 134 kgs

Assistance:
    Good Mornings (3x10)

------------
    Actual:

Main:
    LBB Squat (1x3) 120 kgs
    OHP (1 RM) 60 kgs
    DL (1x4 + 1 rep after 30 secs) 130 kgs

Assistance:
    Good Mornings (3x10)

------------

Notes:

1. Worked out at the WL Hall (Nehru Stadium). This is a place which contains many sets of Olympic Weights (Colored Bumpers) & 20 kg Barbells with sleeves. No Squat Rack or Power Rack though, just uprights. Everyone here (except myself), trains exclusively on the Olympic lifts. Everyone here is younger/fitter/ (stronger?) than I am. All of them are Professional Weight Lifters - I am the only amateur here. Feels very different being here in comparison to working out at the other gym (RedBulls, which is a BB gym), where I am the one that lifts the heaviest weights.

2. Everyone was done with their workouts by the time I reached here at around 6:00 pm. So, towards the end of my workout, had the whole gym all to myself - I had completed Squats & OHP by then and only had the DL to complete, (along with GMs & Push Ups). So, it was ok that I was working out alone, at that point. Also, since everyone were done with their workouts and were packed & ready to leave by the time I got here, I could not borrow a WL belt - the other gym (Redbulls), has 3 WL belts that are shared by everyone. Anyway, need to buy my own WL belt right away. I found someone's knee wrap at the gym and used it as a makeshift belt - felt ok, but a real WL belt would have been better for sure.

3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 45 kgs (1x5), 65 kgs (1x3), 90 kgs (1x2).

4. Squat - The 1 workset (planned for 5 reps) was done with (makeshift) belt. Could only do 3 reps, though. Was not confident if I could complete the 4th and 5th reps. In hindsight, I think, I was definitely going a tad deeper than necessary, and, was also relaxing my hamstrings right before coming out of the hole. I must remember not to do this from the next time, as also to keep chest well up during the ascent. Sometimes (when it gets too heavy for me), have a tendency to raise my hips and with shoulders lagging a bit behind, especially on the 3rd/4th reps - not good !!! Anyway, have to repeat this weight again, during the next Intensity workout. Hoping to get all 5 reps done at this weight, next week.

5. OHP (All sets with makeshift Belt). One issue at this WL gym is, the smallest weights are 5 kg plates. I have seen 2.5 kg plates here, but couldn't spot them yesterday. Therefore, it is impossible to setup certain weights such as 35 kgs for instance. Yet another thing to buy & to take with me when working out at this gym - 1 kg and 2 kg plates to help with microloading.

So, actual warmup weights were: 20 kgs (2x5) 40 kgs (2x5) 50 kgs (1x3)

6. OHP - Workset. No way to setup 56 kgs, so used 60 kgs for the 1 RM. Felt a little difficult, but completed.

7. DL - Warm Ups -> 50 kgs (2x5), 80 kgs (1x3), 110 kgs (1x2).

8. On the DL workset, used 130 kgs (again, no way to microload). However, could only manage 4 reps and then 1 additional rep after about 30 secs. It might well be that there are some differences in the actual weights here when compared to the weights at RedBulls, (more accurate weights here). The Bars too are 20 kgs WL bars with sleeves, and feel quite different from the 10 kgs sleeveless bars at RedBulls. So, perhaps, this is a reason that I could not complete 5 continuous reps. Have to repeat this weight again, at the next Intensity workout.

9. Completed GMs (10 kg bar with no weights). No problem with Push Ups.

Last edited by Srini B; 02-09-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Could not visit gym after the Intensity workout last week, (as always, some personal commitments, which forced me to have to be elsewhere).

Feb 15, 2011 (Tue) (Volume)

Planned:

Main:
    LBB Squat (5x5) 110 kgs
    BP (5x5) 78 kgs
    Power Clean (5x3) 58 kgs

Assistance:

-----------------

Actual:

Main:
    LBB Squat (5x5) 110 kgs
    BP (5x5) 78 kgs

-----------------

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym, (no bumpers & no shoes allowed here).

2. Gym was incredibly busy today. It took me 1 hour to be done with Squats - had to wait a little bit for weights, but no other person was actually Squatting, (just too many at the leg press machines). However, in addition to the brief wait time for availability of weights, the warm-ups and then, the work-sets with adequate rest between sets (about 5 mins between sets), in all, took me an hour to complete Squats as scheduled.

There were many people at the Bench however, (all using very low weights and were also doing flat/inclines/declines - so to wait for others to complete their reps and then to switch the Bench setup (to flat for my workout) and putting weights on and off, for my warmups and worksets, overall, took another hour to complete Bench.

So, that pretty much took 2 hours of my time at the gym and then, it was closing time. So, could not get Power Cleans and Parallel Bars (Assistance) done today. Will try to get these two completed during the upcoming Recovery Day.

3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 40 kgs (1x5), 65 kgs (1x3), 85 kgs (1x2)

4. Squat - All sets belted. All worksets felt good.

5. BP - Worksets - 1 set unbelted, the 4 other sets were all belted...no problems whatsoever.

Actually this is a PR (5x5) - I had been struggling to get all 5 reps completed at this weight for about a month/2 months now - actually, it was a stall, atleast a couple of times, at this 5x5 BP weight for me earlier, during Linear Progression. So, I definitely attribute this increase in strength on both the Bench Press as well as OHP to the Texas Intermediate Method, (and to micro-loading). Feels great to now be able to complete 5x5 at this weight, without any real issues.

In all sets, on the 5th rep, I had to exert a little extra work at the top/finish, (some grunting). But otherwise, no sweat...

6. Power Clean - no time to complete Cleans. Will try to complete these during the upcoming Recovery Day.

7. Had no time to do Parallel Dips today - will try to complete these during the upcoming Recovery Day.

------------------
    Last edited by Srini B; 02-17-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Feb 17, 2011 (Thu) (Recovery)

Planned:

Main:
    Front Squat (2x5) 88 kgs
    OHP (3x5) 50 kgs
    +
    (leftovers from Volume Day)
    Power Clean (5x3) 58 kgs

Assistance:
    Chin Ups BW-C3, C3, C3
    +
    (leftovers from Volume Day)

--------------

Actual:

Main:
    Front Squat (1x2) 88 kgs
    LBB Squat (2x5) 88 kgs

OHP (3x5) 50 kgs

Assistance:
    Chin Ups BW-C3, C3, C3

--------------

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers here & shoes are not allowed here).

3. Squat – Warm Ups -> Front Squat 20 kgs (2x5), 35 kgs (1x5), 50 kgs (1x3), 70 kgs (1x2). No Belt...No Problems.

Followed all pointers from Coach Rip's Front Squat (Platform) Video - certainly helped a great deal with knowing & maintaining the right form throughout.

4. Squat - Worksets (Front Squats) - belted - felt very heavy as this is the first time, I was dealing with Front Squats at this weight. So, just did 2 reps, at this weight. Will increase reps every week.

5. Squat - Worksets (LBB) - no issues.

6. OHP - Warmups & Worksets - No Issues.

7. Assistance Exercises - Back Hypers - all 3 sets with 6 kgs weight. Resulted in a bit of a sore back.

8. Chinups - same...no new issues. Actually, there is a large shelf, high up on the wall, in my room at my office...I am trying to use this for some Pull Ups singles, whenever I get a moment (alone) at work. Let's see if this increases my Chin Up numbers in the gym.

9. I tried to do Power Cleans (leftover from the previous Volume workout) after this - could only manage 3-4 warmup reps, mostly due to the still sore back from Back Hypers. It takes me about 30 minutes or so for my back soreness to go away, after doing Back Hypers - I must remember to do these at the very last, henceforth.

10. Parallel Dips (leftover from the previous Volume workout) - same issue with Back Soreness - so, couldn't do this either.

Last edited by Srini B; 02-18-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Feb 19, 2011 (Sat) (Intensity)

Planned:

Main:
    LBB Squat (1x5) 120 kgs
    BP (1 RM) 82 kgs
    DL (1x5) 134 kgs

Assistance:
    Good Mornings (3x10)

------------
    Actual:

Main:
    DL (1x3) 130 kgs

------------

Notes:

1. Worked out at the WL Hall (Nehru Stadium).

2. It was a total disaster of a workout today - sorry!!! And, being a Saturday (it appears everyone here leaves earlier than usual, on Saturdays), by the time I got done with Squat Warmups, there was practically no one left at the gym.

3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 45 kgs (1x5), 65 kgs (1x3), 90 kgs (1x2).

4. Squat - I had to ask one guy who was checking out the WL Hall, to spot me on the 1 squat work set. For whatever reason, I could not get even a single rep going today. Did come out of the hole on 2 reps, but, I think spotter helped for sure...

5. BP...could not get this done, as there was no one around to spot me. Guy that spotted me on the Squat workset, had left too. So, there was no way, I was working out on the Bench, on Intensity day, all by myself.

6. DL - Warm Ups -> 50 kgs (2x5), 80 kgs (1x3), 110 kgs (1x2).

7. On the DL workset, used 130 kgs - only did 3 reps. Maybe 3 reps work better for me, than 5 reps?

8. Kinda depressed with today's "workout" - did some Power Cleans...upto about 50 kgs. Frankly, did not feel too strong or confident on these either today.

9. Forgot completely about assistance exercises today - was feeling too burned out today, anyway, so not sure I would have been able to complete as planned, in any case. Man, what a disaster of a workout day!!!

10. It might have been that I was trying to do a couple of additional things on Recovery Day a couple of days back and it fatigued me more than usual. Also, still did not get time to purchase WL belt - this is definitely a factor, when working out at Nehru stadium - will HAVE to purchase WL belt, before my next visit here, as also proper Squat shoes.

11. Oh, and another thing was, still had a slightly sore back, perhaps, due to Back Hypers done on Recovery Day. Maybe, I need to reduce this to 5 reps each set, or perhaps, even need to stop doing this for a while. Definitely affecting me adversely, at the moment.

12. One good thing perhaps, was that I did see 2 1/2 kg plates as well as 1 1/4 kg plates at this gym today. This should help somewhat with microloading...

Last edited by Srini B; 02-19-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Feb 22, 2011 (Tue) (Intensity - Repeat the Previous Intensity Workout)

Planned:

Main:
    LBB Squat (1x5) 120 kgs
    BP (1 RM) 84 kgs

Assistance:
    Good Mornings (3x10)
    Push Ups (3xF) - BW - 15, 12, 11

------------
    Actual:

Main:
    LBB Squat (1x5) 120 kgs
    BP (2 RM) 84 kgs

Assistance:
    Good Mornings (3x10) with empty bar, with bar + 12 kgs, with bar + 24 kgs
    Push Ups (3xF) - BW - 15, 11, 10

------------

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym (no bumpers here). Shoes not allowed here.

2. Decided to repeat the previous Intensity Workout (as I could not get anything accomplished last Saturday). However, did not plan on repeating Deadlifts, as I had managed to complete 3 reps with the planned weight last Sat.

3. As part of overall initial warm ups, did Overhead Squats [empty bar - 10 kgs (1x5)].

4. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 50 kgs (1x5), 75 kgs (1x3), 90 kgs (1x2). All without belt...

5. Squat - belted. No issues whatsoever!!! One thing I really need to watch for, is to ensure that I don't fall forward when coming out of the hole, by not keeping Chest Up enough. If this happens, bar goes forward of mid-foot and at heavy (for me) weights, reps turn out to be failures.

6. BP...warm-ups (unbelted) and work-sets (belted) - no issues.

7. Assistance Exercises - Good Mornings - felt like adding some weight, as I did not Deadlift today. Felt fine with weights.

8. Push Ups - no issues. The first set of 15 reps was fine. On each of the 2nd and 3rd steps, missed 1 rep on the planned numbers.

Last edited by Srini B; 02-23-2011 at 12:41 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Feb 24, 2011 (Thu) (Volume)

Planned:

Main:
    LBB Squat (5x5) 112 kgs
    OHP (5x5) 52 kgs
    Power Snatch (6x2) 42 kgs

Assistance:

-----------------

Actual:

Main:
    LBB Squat (5x5) 112 kgs
    OHP (5x5) 52 kgs
    Power Snatch (6x2) 42 kgs

-----------------

Notes:

1. Worked out at RedBulls Gym, (no bumpers & no shoes allowed here).

2. Gym got busier and busier through the evening - it took me 2 1/2 hours to complete my main workouts. Power Snatch was especially difficult to do, due to so many people walking to and fro and I had to wait for some space clearance, before I could Snatch, for every single rep.

Also, someone else who was on a Bodybuilding type routine, was apparently on a Thighs day schedule, and was also into Chain sets (I think). So, after completing 2 of my Power Snatch sets, I had to wait for about 10 minutes or so, for this BB guy to complete his Squats. (There is only one 7 ft bar at this gym - luckily for me, hardly anyone squats here, so I use this for Squatting of course, as also for Pressing and for Power Clean/Power Snatch).

3. Squat – Warm Ups -> 20 kgs (2x5), 40 kgs (1x5), 65 kgs (1x3), 85 kgs (1x2) (No belt)

4. Squat - All sets belted. All worksets felt good - no issues.

5. OHP - Warmups (unbelted) & Worksets (belted) - no problems whatsoever.

6. Power Snatch - no issues.

7. Had no time to do Parallel Dips today.

------------------

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast