starting strength gym
Page 2 of 179 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: michele's training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    will do, thanks. we also worked on that when Kelly Starrett was here and your post prompted me to remember. he had us do them with the rotation and without, and the difference in power was striking.

thank you!

fucking forgot to try this magical inverted row tonight.

squat: still recovering from hip flexor strain. no pain now, but my coach is keeping my work set numbers very low and we're back on a strictly linear progression to get back up.

45x5
    65x5
    85x5
    105x5
    115x2

125x3x5 third set the best, as usual

bench

did 5x5 here since my squatting was so sub-maximal.

45x5
    55x5

70x5x5 easy. i'll feel it tomorrow though.

chins

9,6,5 with a light band. 9 is the most i've ever pulled with this band configuration.

pushup program: working microsets (4 reps) Mon-Friday. they are getting easier, but still not worked up to the 6 sets/day i was prescribed. shoulders aren't up to that volume.

my "push up program" is working after only two weeks. my coach mocked me for being surprised and excited, but that's just how he rolls. i forgive him.

friday night it was about 104 degrees in brooklyn and not much cooler inside the gym, which has a roll-up door and no climate control. my body likes the heat so once i got moving, it was fine. one of the other people in the class happens to be in the first trimester of her first pregnancy; she put on a belt and lifted too, just like always.

squat

continuing with a "rehab" strictly linear progression, 3x5, until i am back at work weight.

130x3x5 injured hip not complaining at all. so glad.

press

55x3*x5 missed the final rep on the second set but pulled it out on the final one, which is unusual. once i fail on the press, it's usually curtains.

cleans

83x3x3 these were tough today; gonna blame the heat. but i did them.

Usually on Fridays we have a short conditioning workout, but it didn't seem prudent today.

after several weeks of extremely compromised sleep and nutrition, i spent friday and saturday catching up on both, and today's training reflected that.

squat - still on the SS linear (rest of my program is intermediate Texas). my coach and i discussed the future plans for this "rehab" adjustment to my program and agreed to ride out the strictly linear as long as we can.

after watching a video of Rip clapping someone repeatedly on the sacrum to get them to drive with their hips, i had a teammate apply some pressure to mine while i was squatting earlier this week. no surprise - the drive was uneven. i need to focus on that.

injured hip continues to feel just fine.

warmup sets: 45, 65, 95, 115, 125lbs

work: 135x3x5. no issues other than the usual struggle not to lose my back.

bench:

continues to improve. my bench PR is 97.5 and as much as it pains to me say it, my whole goal in life right now is to be able to bench one hundred pounds. the difference between "heavy but doable," "one-RM" and "fucking impossible" is less than ten pounds for me, which is frustrating and comical at the same time.

77.5x3x5 - all reps moved very well and i even managed to keep my breath for all five reps on the final set. definitely helps me keep tight.

dead:

we decided last week after a bad failure with heavy rack pulls to go back to pulling from the floor for a while.

warmup 95, 135, 150

work: 165x1x5

last rep was swearing, gritting teeth ugly.

good day in the gym.

squat continues its march on rehab linear progression.

got great depth today, good bounce, good speed.

warmup

45x5, 65x5, 95x5, 115x3, 125x2, 135x1

work 140x3x5

press

50x3x5 i didn't do a rep out last week by mistake, so my progression is all effed up. these went up easy though.

chins

(banded) 9,8,8

my best chins performance ever at this band strength. i lost about 10lbs very recently. i don't believe the uptick in my chin volume is related to anything other than those 10 pounds of missing flab.

i'm about 15 lbs, tops, from my work weight PR in the squat, which means i'll be there in a week. then things will get really interesting really fast - i have never lost weight since i started lifting, so i'm curious to see the impact. if the deadlift is any indication, it's not going to be pretty.

Just stumbled on your log. Good finding more strong women out there!

*waving*

i wish i could train today!

i had *maybe* 400kcal in the 18 hours prior to training today.

that was some straight up bullshit right there.

squat: still rehabbing on a linear progression, but it's officially heavy now.

warmup: 45x5, 65x5, 95x5, 120x3, 130x1

work: 145x3x5

got a little stuck on the fourth rep of the final set, but nothing major. i was sharing a platform with two other women, one pregnant and one squatting 200-lb work sets. a bitch can hardly complain in that kind of company.

bench: heaviest-ever 3x5 attempt, but failed the final rep in the last two sets.

80x1x5, 80x2x4.

decided not to clean, too ferklempt today and cleans are notoriously susceptible to that kind of crap.

we had to do five sets of shuttle sprints for our token weekly metcon after all that. the worst bruise i ever got in my life was from skidding into a kettlebell marking the perimeter of shuttle sprints so i sacrificed a lot of speed today to keep that from happening again.

everything feels heavy at 10 AM.

squat

45x5
    65x5
    95x5
    125x3
    140x1

150x3x5

i started whimpering during the first work set - never a good sign.

we agreed to slow down to 2.5-lb jumps after today.

press

we have fucked up my progression all to hell.

50x3x5, no idea why that was my work weight.

rack pulls

185x5

holy shit that was hard, way harder than it should've been. my 1-RM from the ground is 210, and i almost didn't pick up 185 from the rack - i had to be bullied into it by my coach.

my lights were dim for a good hour or two after that squatting.
    Last edited by Michele Knaub; 03-03-2012 at 09:59 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I had to take a freaking nap yesterday afternoon. What was it? The humidity? The last day of July? Satan? I was completely shot from my squats and glad I didn't attempt my bench-- I never would have gotten them. I feel way better today, hope you do too...

Anyway, you were a fucking warrior getting through those squats. Those were three grinding sets-- not an easy rep in there-- very tough you are.

Page 2 of 179 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast