starting strength gym
Page 1 of 179 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: michele's training log

Default michele's training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    been lifting for just a bit more than a year, first a SS linear progression and then intermediate Texas method, all with a SS-certified coach in brooklyn. i also attended rip's SS seminar in april.

i would switch to Oly lifting if i could get the kind of coaching i'd need (that is to say, a shitload, because i'm not that athletic.)

at about 150 lbs, my PRs are:

squat 170 lbs
    press 72.5
    dead 210

bench 97.5
    clean 100

we do volume day - recovery day- intensity day, where "intensity" days mean a rep-out for the squat and press movements.

about 6 weeks ago i injured myself for the first time since i started lifting; a right-side hip flexor strain. after some time off squatting, then tissue manipulation and ART, i started back with regular squatting tonight.

this was the first meeting of my lifting group for this 8-week, thrice-a-week "cycle." squat numbers still in REHAB land til we figure out how i do.

volume day 1:

squat 115x3x5 (normally would be 5x5)
    press 47.5x3x5
    chins (with a thin band) 7,6,6

goals for this 8-week cycle:

squat: 180
    bench: 105 (been trying to crack 100 for several months to no avail)
    dead: 220

i would also really, really love to be able to do a single dead-hang chin but i appear nowhere near it. the first part of the pull - i got nothin.

Michele! Awesome to see your log. I can't wait to see your progress!

With chins: I'm working back up to doing them now, too. But having gone through this before (I used to do pullups back in the day), I can tell you that they're just like that. You just can't do them at all, and then all of a sudden, you can. What worked for me was lots of negatives, but if I had known about bands back then, I would have incorporated those.

Also: congrats on passing the exam! I noticed your name up in the directory.

thanks, you too. shit was no joke!

re negatives on chins: i use the bands now, but when i was able to do pullups back in the day, i got there with negatives (plus i was quite a bit lighter.) i wonder if i should stop ignoring my own history and learn from it instead.

I like the name of your log: straight to the point-- I knew who it was!. Good to hear you are back squatting...

Bummer that I missed class last night, had a work thing. Same crew I imagine? I'm calling my 5 days off a deload, see you Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    thanks, you too. shit was no joke!
    No kidding. Mine turned out to be, like, 12 pages of single-spaced type. Crazy. It gives me even more respect for anyone who is certified by Rip.

[Cue jokes about my verbosity.... NOW]
    Last edited by Gunnhild Bruno; 07-14-2011 at 10:03 PM.

recovery day, easy

except for the no sleep and no food bullshit.

warmup: virtually none, but the whole workout at pretty much my fastest speed, as the gym was closing/closed.

work:

squat 95x3x5
    bench 75x5x5
    clean 80x3x3

I have also been put on a pushup program whereby I have to do 6 sets of 4 throughout the day. Colleagues are amused.

I have been contemplating buying one of those door jam pull-up bars for work. I have an unused door directly behind my chair.

You just inspired me to do just that. I am going to get 10x3 unbanded chins this cycle.

See you Sunday I guess? Maybe i should switch to your schedule-- I'm doing 2-a-week plus recovery on my own too....

i tried one of those, it didn't fit anywhere in my apartment. i was crushed.
    yeah, switch to Tues-Sun, that's what i do. recovery on Friday.

Default here's how a bitch fails to rack pull

my 1-RM deadlift is 210.

today i couldn't *rack pull* 215.

without wraps, with wraps, double overhand grip, alternating grip. no.

deloaded ten pounds, no.

if you would like to duplicate this feat of stupidity, here's how.

1. don't sleep all week.
    2. don't eat hardly anything.
    3. get really fucking stressed out.

that should do it.

typically Sunday is intensity day - a rep-out for both squat and press movement.

since i'm still regaining strength and numbers on the squat, we did a 3x5 instead.

squat 120x3x5

felt pretty good. i'm still descending way too slow because of latent fear of aggravating my hip. gotta stop that.

press 53x3x5

supposed to be a rep-out but i spaced and hit the first set of five, so coach had me continue. this is pretty heavy for me so i'm pleased i hit them all.

i'm also on this fucking pushup program, and only three days in my shoulders are hot - they hurt to touch. taking the weekend off.

rack pull

warmups at 95, 135, maybe something in between, and 185x2.

which barely moved.

leading to FAIL at 215.

starting strength coach development program
    Michele, check out Justin Lascek's video on 70's Big-- it deals with external rotation for the pushups which will better protect the shoulder.

Page 1 of 179 1231151101 ... LastLast