starting strength gym
Page 2 of 230 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Viking Workouts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    Dietwise I'm following John Sheaffers recommendations, as this has worked wonderfully for me.
    Care to give a quick recap of those recommendations and what they've done for you?

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Hell, a metal plate! That'll do you. You're not alone on cleans ruining your mood, either. They're a great source of frustration for a lot of us. Me included. Have you tried doing the power snatch instead? It's not as much weight, but I think it's kind of more fun than cleaning, and you still get the explosive effort. And going overhead is just cool. Or does the turn over at the top still fuck with your wrist too much?
    I've fucked around with PS before, but it isnt great for the wrist either. I think if I could just ignore the pain, I'd be alright, but I can't, it makes me gunshy, forget about technique, and then everything goes to hell. I'll probably get the plate out next year, and with all probability also be in a country where I can join an OL-gym, so cleans and snatches will return at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by ambivalens View Post
    Care to give a quick recap of those recommendations and what they've done for you?
    Basically you eat a portion size of carbs and a portion size of protein each meal every three hours. There are small tweaks to make (i.e. cut carbs later in the day, or add more carbs early, add olive oil etc.), but that's basically it. He then also lists which carbs and protein sources are recommended, and for what. Nothing groundbreaking more like: Ground beef for gaining weight, chicken breast for shedding fat kinda stuff. He has an e-book called "Swole" which I'd recommend. I know E-Books don't get much love around here, but that one is worth it IMO.

In terms of what it's done for me, it's improved bodycomp while - more importantly for me - fuelling my lifts. And even more important, my energy-level throughout the day is alot better after I started following his recommendations, which obviously makes everything alot more fun, not just training.

Thanks for stopping by, both of you. Sorry I took a while in responding.

My recent absence was caused by a nasty virus which gave me sky-high fever for a few days. All better now, and going to the gym today. The plan is to repeat the last squat workout, as I am still working at less than limit poundages. As for the push-excercises I'll dial them back a tiny bit.

I am an idiot. I was going to dial back my push-excercises but decided last minute to be stupid. The results were predictable:

15-08-11: SS #6
    Squat: 300x5x3
    Bench: 240x5,4, 235x4
    Chins: BW+25: 2x7

Somewhat shitty day. My push-excercises have really taken a hit and/or I'm not fully up to speed yet. Happy to repeat the PR deadlift however.

24-08-11: SS #6
    Squat: 240x5x2
    Press: 165x5x2, 4
    Deadlift: 390x5

26-08-11: SS #8
    Squat: 305x5x3
    Bench: 235x5, 225x5
    Chins: BW+25: 8,7

Lots of personal stuff going on, so didnt go all out on the bench. Would probably have failed a rep on the last set with 235.

29-08-11: TM #1
    Squat: 310x5x3
    Press: 150x5x5
    Chins: BW+25: 8,8,6

Squats were very, very close to failure today. Knee was surprisingly good. Taking into account how tough everything has been lately, I decided to jump straight to TM. I will be doing the basic version in Justin Lasceks E-book:

MON: Squat 5x5, Bench/Press 5x5, Chins/Pull-ups
    WED: Squat 2x5, Press/Bench 3x5
    FRI: Squat 5RM, Bench/Press 5RM, Deadlift 3RM

I am doing a Sheaffer-inspired deal on the Chins/pullups, wanting to get 3x8 before I add weight, which will lower the reps, and I work up to 3x8 again. I might consider doing a few back-extensions on light day to get blood flowing but it's not essential.

I'm counting on Squatting 315 for 5, Pressing 167.5 for 5 and deadlift 395 for 3 on Friday. Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Hopefully it wont bury me like last time...

I'll be interested to see how it goes for you, Viking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tad_T View Post
    I'll be interested to see how it goes for you, Viking.
    As am I. Good to have you back.

31-08-11: TM #2 - Light Day
    Squat: 215x5x2
    Bench: 190x5x3

starting strength coach development program
    So on Fridays you are going to warm up and then hit a heavy set and call it done for an intensity day, correct?

Page 2 of 230 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast