Thread: Viking Workouts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Comeback WO4: 11-06-18: 14.15-15.10
    LBBS: Barx5x4, 60x5, 80x5, 100x5, 120x5, 130x5
    TnG BP: 102,5x5, 110x5, 102,5x5x4
    Deadlift: 162.5x5

Good day. Squats moved well. It was hard not to take 140 for a ride. But they werent perfect, so I played it safe. I think I will ramp to 135 Wednesday and 140 Friday, provided it feels OK. I will do fronts and chins Wednesday and then a heavy DL around 175 Friday, once again, if things feel good. If this works, then I will use 140 and 175 for my HLM programming next week. But let's see what happens.

The fiver on bench is basically equalling my all time PR, and it was a max effort, no doubt I will try to increase both top-set and backoffs by 1kg next week and then we see.

I am hitting my 500/70/200 macros consistently and am hungrier than when I was on lower macros. How the hell that even works I will never understand. But knowing to expect it, I will ride it out this time. It might take a month for me to feel "normal" again, if past experience is a guide. At least I can hope that the added fuel would help me to a PR or two.

Comeback WO7: 13-06-18: 14.25-15.15
    LBBS: Barx5x4, 60x5, 85x5, 105x5
    Press: 65x5, 72.5x5, 65x5x3
    Chins: BW+20 3x7reps

Squats made my back feel progressively worse. I tweaked it again, if not quite as acutely as the first time. It is stiff and I am walking semi-crooked again. I guess the movement wasn't picture perfect and this made things mess up and/or the 130+162.5 on Monday left some stuff a bit overworked. In any case, here is the deal going forward: I will commit to ten (10) warm up sets with the bar no matter what, until I have zero issues. I will stop as soon as I feel even the slightest worsening. Maybe stay with the weight or drop it down so I can fix it, but never go up.

What this will look like, I think, is that I will work up to whatever I can do for a set of five on a given day. If I feel very good, I might do 2 more sets across and a set of 5 of a correspondingly heavy DL. On bad days I will do only the topset and a lighter set of deads or no deads at all.

Press went up. I actually bailed on the 5th rep for a second and then thought "fuck it" and locked it out. I was worried about my back. I am debating whether to add 1kg to bench and press next week and seeing how that goes, or to begin some rep-cycling. The latter is somehow more attractive to me, so I might fiddle around with some ideas I have.

As this back stuff is going to be up and down, I will annotate how subjective feel is. With 10 being completely FUBAR (acute injury day left me around a 8-9) I would say that yesterday was maybe a 6 and today is a 5. It hurts almost constantly, but I can straighten myself out and move around pretty OK. Bending over to pick stuff off the floor can be done, but takes a bit of thinking.

Comeback WO8: 15-06-18: 14.30-15.25
    P. LBBS: Barx5x10, 60x5, 80x5, 100x5, 120x5
    CGBP: 95x5x4
    DL: 60x5x4

Back was probably about a 4 going in. Squats annoyed it at first, but I eventually found a groove that made it quiet down, the pauses helped, I think. 120 felt like work, if not hard. Deads I tried the same thing, but back got worse, not better from them. In general my back did feel better going out than going into the gym, but I knew that when it got cold it would start locking again. And it has. I think this is just as much from deads as from squats, if not more. I will give it a 4 again today. The pain/tightness is localized above my left SI, with a lot of tightness in my left hip. I walk crooked unless I straighten myself out.

The plan is still the same, then. Not to have too many fancy ideas of what to do when I go into the gym, but if the back allows me to, do some squats and pulls with whatever it will allow me to do that day, erring on the side of over-warmup and caution.

I decided to do closegrips for my medium bench day for variety, to possibly help the shoulder, and because the uprights are a bit high for my normal grip anyway. 95 was a good weight. Heavy but doable. I will try to add 1kg across the board to my pressing movements next week and see what happens.

Gaintenance week 1 results:
    BW: 87.6 (+0.6)

Waist: 86 (0)

I think hunger is beginning to die down, but I am prepared for a couple more weeks of a rough ride. I had the initial bump of 0,5kg almost immediately after upping macros, and have then been sitting there since. I have dialled fat down and carbs up a tad, so currently going for 525/60/200.

The goal would be to add something like 0,5kg/month. I will use a simple algorithm to achieve this by adding/subtracting a bit of energy:

If BW drops I add in 25c.
    If BW stays the same I add 10c.
    If weight increases by 0,1-0,2kg I stay with current macros.
    If weight increases by more than 0,2, I subtract 25c.

I will eventually start being more flexible, eating out here and there and having some higher fat/lower carb days to try some different foods. But not until I have regained some balance after this latest fat loss phase, which I predict will take another couple of weeks.

Comeback WO9: 18-06-18: 13.30-14.40
    LBBS: 120x5x3
    TnG BP: 103,5x5, 111x5, 103,5x5x3 <- Equals all time PR
    DL: 150x5

My back was probably around a 2 today. I felt it a bit here and there, and there was a definite burning sensation here and there after each work set of squats. However I felt no real problems, and it is also a 2 now. Let’s see what it says tomorrow. If I can keep it somewhat OK, then I will do some LP on squats and deads, alternating DL with weighted chins. I think ramping 5’s up to 140, as I had initially planned, is too aggressive. I should get in some volume at lower poundages, and usually I find that doing a short comeback LP on squats works really well, especially in a surplus.

Speaking of, I absolutely murdered the top set on bench today. I let two kids work in, so my break was perhaps a bit longer than usual, but I also think the extra carbs are working their magic. Last week 110 was an epic grind. Today 111 went up without any doubt. I am going to be working out in Estonia again from next week, and New Gym Disease might hit. But if it doesn’t, next week I would set a lifetime 5RM PR.

Comeback WO10: 20-06-18: 13.52-14.52
    LBBS: 122,5x5x3

Press: 66x5, 73.5x5, 66x5x3
    Chins: BW+20 8, 7, 7 reps

Left side of the back was locked most of the morning, but it was very localized to the SI/Hip joint, so I will give it a 2-3. As expected, squatting made it loosen up, probably a 2 or even a 1 right now. Knees are a bit cranky, though. I have probably been getting into them a bit too much to lessen the pressure on the lower back. Working on a happy medium there - flaring my toes a bit more than usual seems to be working right now.

Press was really hard. My back hurt a bit after the last rep of the heavy set, but in a different way than the original injury, so I hope I will be fine. Backoffs were hard, too. Chins are pretty OK, I do them between Press sets to save time. Trying to add a rep here and there. If I get to 9 reps on the first set and at least 8 on the following, I will go to 25kg.

General feels is that I felt a bit beat up (elbows etc.) today, probably because I am pushing both bench and press quite hard at this point.

Comeback WO10: 20-06-18: 13.27-14.21
    LBBS: 125x5x3
    CGBP: 96x5x4
    DL: 155x5

A funny workout. Everything was light enough that there was no doubt of me completing the reps. Yet everything hurt. Knees, elbows, shoulders. Lets just see how I feel after the weekend, which will include air travel.

Back was cool today, a two I think. Even though squats werent picture perfect, in part due to me trying to figure out a stance that would suit both knees and back, I wasnt really worried. Closegrips are a good weight, work but not limit sets, and deads were super solid.

Happy to get this done in less than an hour. There are quite a few racks etc., so I can use downtime between sets setting up for the next lift which really helps.

Gaintenance week 2 results:
    BW: 87.9 (+0.3)

Waist: 85 (-1)

Have been hitting 525/60/200 on the button all week. There has been some hunger, I am definitely not out of the woods yet. The stats are a bit misleading. I was 87.2 this morning, but have also been trying to limit nighttime fluids a bit, so this may influence. Hence I am going to use the weekly average from now on, which was 87.9. I am a bit surprised that my waist went down. Measurement error/daily fluctuation surely. But at least it isnt skyrocketing. I hope to keep it below 90cm for the next ten weeks or so, and then I will probably cut a bit more of the fluff.

I think I probably could get away with adding a bit more fuel. I will let Mondays workout be my guide. If I feel as strong as last Monday I wont. If I feel as beat up as yesterday I probably will.

Comeback W11: 25-06-18: 17.41 -18.55
    LBBS: 127.5x5x3
    TnG BP: 104,5x5, 112x5, 104,5x5x3 <- all time 5RM PR

Chins: BW+20 8,8 7 reps

Back in Tallinn. Back was a 1-2 during the day. Couldn't quite get squat technique right, ended up doing a narrow stance with flared toes that went OK if not stellar. No knee sleeves for the next month as I forgot to bring them here from Denmark, so far they feel OK. Generally squats felt very heavy. If it isn't New Gym Disease I might have to switch to a HLM on squats way sooner than I had hoped.

Bench was a challenge but felt good. I was not in doubt about rep 5, but it was a true RPE10 or whatever. Nothing left in the tank, and only inched it's way up. Chins were tough too. I have been doing them between the back-off sets (supersetted) but I think I might stop doing that and just accept a slightly longer workout.

In general feels are that I am not quite recovering, so I am adding a bit of carbs, going to 550/60/200 for the rest of the week, and I'll see what that does to lifts, waist and BW.

starting strength coach development program
    Comeback WO12: 20-06-18: 13.52-14.52
    LBBS: 130x5x3
    Press: 67x5, 74.5x4+F, 67x5x3
    Deadlift: 162.5x5

Back is behaving but I was very worn down. Weights may be slightly heavier in this globo, shoes and belt are different. In any event I had some DOMS in both abs and adductors going into this and generally did not feel recovered. The failure on Press was coming, so that's fine. It's more the squat that annoys me. Last rep wasn't pretty I am debating whether to repeat 130 on Friday. Deads were fine.

Back is 1-2 almost all the time these days which is awesome.

I did 30 minutes cardio on Thursday. It felt super easy, which tells me that the long commute in Denmark is more than enough cardio when I live there. But while I am back here, I will do a weekly session just to keep it up.
    Last edited by DV; 06-29-2018 at 11:32 AM.