starting strength gym
Page 51 of 230 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Viking Workouts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    Thanks! Very, very tired this morning, which is to be expected after volume. I need to get to bed EARLY tonight, after volume squats.
    Yes, lots of rest, lots of sleep. Volume of any sort knocks our dicks in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Yes, lots of rest, lots of sleep. Volume of any sort knocks our dicks in the dirt.
    Hah! There's a nice mental image! I got there a bit late today, so wont be able to sleep super early. Also I forgot to jot down what I was supposed to do, but I *think* I remembered it well enough, will have to check. It went way, way better than last week. Among other things, it wasn't as damned long.

JF #6: 03-01-01: 18.10-19.33

Warmup Foam/lacrosse rolling (4-5 min), C&J WU (2-3 mins)
    I'm getting through warmups fast without it affecting performance lately. Awesome.

Clean: 62.5x3x5
    Some of these might even be said to have been snappy. Also had some of the others yell a cue or two, from what they saw. One was "fast elbows" and that rep just ROCKED. I'm not there yet - not even close, but I feel like I'm getting better at these. I felt sorta stupid only doing 62.5, but it'll all add up, and the practice and NO MISSING strategy of Jordans will be worth it, I think.

Squat: 122.5x5x5
    Last sets were the best, because I narrowed my stance a bit. I even brought an extra t-shirt for this, but bar placement wasn't ace. Bar was rolling a bit on my back, and left elbow is not super-happy now.

RDL: 82.5x6x4
    Keep the arch, slower, butt back as all yelled at me during, so they were tough, but good I think. Once again I was thinking 82.5 was a bit wussy, but I think I good a good stimulus. It's just assistance anyway.

Circuit: 15 Back extension, 15 Ab-wheel(knees), 15 KB-swing, 15 air squat. Four rounds. 13.15 mins
    Tough on conditioning, but I powered through these without real rest. Compared to last week this was light years better.
    Last edited by DV; 01-13-2013 at 02:50 AM.

As with Craig, I can no longer comment intelligently on your log because I don't know the ist thing about weightlifting. I know a bodyweight snatch is pretty good though, so I'll root you towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    As with Craig, I can no longer comment intelligently on your log because I don't know the ist thing about weightlifting. I know a bodyweight snatch is pretty good though, so I'll root you towards that.
    A BW snatch and a corresponding C&J would just about qualify me for Nationals, so thats my long term aim. My short term aim is to... snatch, hah! I still haven't done a proper one, that isn't more of a Power-Snatch + Overhead Squat.

What you will be able to relate to are the razor abs I'm going to get from fitting in the 94kg. class while still getting stronger. I'm pretty positive that Jordans help is going to take me far in that respect (as well as with the lifts).

A weird thing: Ever since I started with Jordans protocol I find I need less sleep. I.e. this week I've been running on 6-7 hours per night, and last night I got 8 after volume squats. And I feel FRESH. Don't get me wrong, my legs are tired as hell after yesterday, and the bike ride to work was sloooow. But usually after a few days in the 6-7 range, I would've slept 10+ last night, OR been fucked today.

I can't say for sure, but I think it's the D3 I've started taking. Apart from that the only change is in programming, and it's not revolutionary. Diet-wise I'm eating less fat than I'd usually do, but I really don't think that's the reason. If I truly am having that effect from the D-vitamin, I'm pissed at myself for not starting sooner. I had it on my supp to-do list for about a year.

Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    A BW snatch and a corresponding C&J would just about qualify me for Nationals, so thats my long term aim. My short term aim is to... snatch, hah! I still haven't done a proper one, that isn't more of a Power-Snatch + Overhead Squat.

What you will be able to relate to are the razor abs I'm going to get from fitting in the 94kg. class while still getting stronger. I'm pretty positive that Jordans help is going to take me far in that respect (as well as with the lifts).

A weird thing: Ever since I started with Jordans protocol I find I need less sleep. I.e. this week I've been running on 6-7 hours per night, and last night I got 8 after volume squats. And I feel FRESH. Don't get me wrong, my legs are tired as hell after yesterday, and the bike ride to work was sloooow. But usually after a few days in the 6-7 range, I would've slept 10+ last night, OR been fucked today.

I can't say for sure, but I think it's the D3 I've started taking. Apart from that the only change is in programming, and it's not revolutionary. Diet-wise I'm eating less fat than I'd usually do, but I really don't think that's the reason. If I truly am having that effect from the D-vitamin, I'm pissed at myself for not starting sooner. I had it on my supp to-do list for about a year.
    Haha, yeah, I will definitely be able to relate to the abs. Who can't?

Yeah, I'm not surprised Jordan's stuff is helping you immensely. He seems like a really smart dude with this stuff.

Before taking the D3, were you taking any multi-vitamin or anything? Im just wondering if I get enough vitamin D from the multi I take every day plus the milk I drink (2-3 pints a day).

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Haha, yeah, I will definitely be able to relate to the abs. Who can't?

Yeah, I'm not surprised Jordan's stuff is helping you immensely. He seems like a really smart dude with this stuff.

Before taking the D3, were you taking any multi-vitamin or anything? Im just wondering if I get enough vitamin D from the multi I take every day plus the milk I drink (2-3 pints a day).
    As I've decided with one of the guys at the gym "abs are gay". We shout that a lot while we do ab-work, both being big guys. It's good fun, and I'm fine with having gay abs one day, hah.

Jordan knows his shit. It's too early to start saying how much it will help, but I'm pretty impressed so far. Definitely knows more about both diet and training than I do. As I alluded to earlier in the log, there's an added quality to having an outsider doing your programming and diet. I'll probably do a writeup on this, as well as the results I achieve with Jordan, once I'm further in. My only regret really, is that I didn't do it sooner.

I've done lots of supps, and definitely loads of milk, multis and what have you. Nothing has really worked like this (and nothing has even close to the amount of D3 you get from a targeted supp). It might be a confluence of factors, a fluke or whatever, but I'm liking what's going on. I just thought of the D3, as deficiency is very common, and among other things leads to low energy and fatigue. I don't really care what it is, as long as it works!

Obviously it's difficult with all the other changes you've made, but have you noticed a thing else in terms of recovery with the vit d, or is it just the sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Obviously it's difficult with all the other changes you've made, but have you noticed a thing else in terms of recovery with the vit d, or is it just the sleep.
    I was coming off the flu and a 2 week lay-off, and I have more DOMS now than I did before, which is likely partly because of this. The volume on this protocol is also considerably higher, I am doing circuits etc. etc., so it's really hard to tell.

It's just interesting to me that in spite of these things, I need less sleep these days. It could be a total fluke, but I really hope it isn't.

JF #7: 11-01-01: 17.35-18.50

Warmup Foam/lacrosse rolling (10 min), SN WU (5 mins)
    My flexibility is still shitty. I spent 5 mins extra on mobility than I was supposed to, just to have a chance of hitting the right position in the bottom.

SN: Singles up to 47.5x1 and 50xmiss
    Once again I missed 50, going down in an OHSQ. I think that while lack of upper back flexibility is an issue, my tight hips are just as much in the bottom. On the positive side I hit an absolute beauty, I think it was on 40 or 42.5. Full snatch, bar was back, everything was good. Even one of the other lifters yelled "yeah!". It's all a process.

Bench: 100x4
    Supposed to be a 3RM with one in the tank. I went conservative and did 100, agreeing with myself I could do a couple of extra reps, if I felt I had them. 4 was fine, with 1-2 left in the tank.

Chins: BW+21x5x3
    Tough, very tough.

Circuit: 3 rounds of: 10 Inverted Rows, 10 DB curls, 10 Lateral Raise 10 Push-Up
    Pretty good. I fucked up timing it, unfortunately, but I don't think it was much more than 10 minutes.

starting strength coach development program
    Have you considered ankle mobility? I've started doing a stretch I saw TBone recommend awhile back.

Nothing feels better than a well executed lift. It's hard to explain, but when things click it almost feels effortless doesn't it?

I'm not sure I'd count 50 as a miss if you got it overhead and squatted it down. Some coaches encourage it so the body gets used to going into the bottom position, it's all a learning process after all. If you power a full lift my coach would say it was just too light haha You can totally power snatch in competitions, you're just showing off though ;-)

I'm really digging your programming, it looks like a nice blend of oly+strength.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 01-11-2013 at 12:45 PM.