starting strength gym
Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Staci's Log

Default Staci's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In my quest to catch up to Gillian, I'm dedicating the next several months to Starting Strength. Since she's gotten herself a new, improved training partner (I could never adequately spot her on bench), I'll be posting my log here so that she can keep tabs on me in the virtual world.

Short and sweet background - been lifting since 2008, made some really good gains for a while but lost momentum when my training partner moved away (ahem) and foundered for a bit when left to my own devices (figure competitions may or may not have been considered). I'm currently blessed to be working alongside two very capable lifters who have been generous with their time and expertise, and am looking forward to kicking Gillian's ass in the future.

Yesterday was my first Starting Strength workout. Started conservatively, dropping current 5+reps max weights 15-20% to start.

Weights are in pounds

Squat
    warm up sets
    45 x 5 x 2, 60 x 5 x 1, 95 x 3 x 1, 125 x 2 x 1
    work sets
    160 x 5 x 3

Press
    work sets (couldn't get any lighter to warm up)
    33 x 5 x 3

Deadlift
    warm up sets
    65 x 5 x 2, 100 x 3 x 1, 140 x 2 x 1
    work set
    170 x 5 x 1

Right knee was not my friend during the work sets on the squat, but I was able to manage after considerable foam rolling and stretching between sets. Press was entirely too light, so per Gillian's recommendation I will be jumping 10 lbs next time.

Welcome Staci. I have my eyes on you. Trust me, I will be working even harder to prevent you from catching me I miss you bunches. Can't wait to see you when I get settled in NC. A training/ beach vacation is just what you need.

I wore a mid city t-shirt today. Reminiscing about old times.....

welcome, staci! glad to see your log here.

there's a crew of us lifting and doing SS in brooklyn.... do you still train in the city?

Thanks for the welcome, Michelle!

I do still train in the city, but sadly nowhere consistently. Right now training is something of a logistical nightmare . I live about 30 miles north and work in NYC 6-7 days a week. The gym I work at most is not conducive to lifting, and the other one is out of the way - but my best option right now. Things should change in March (place I work is opening a new gym with all the right toys), so I will have to make it work until then.
    Last edited by Staci Rudnitsky; 02-06-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Feb 6 2012

Squat
    warm up sets
    45 x 5 x 2, 65 x 5 x 1, 100 x 3 x 1, 135 x 2 x 1
    work sets
    165 x 5 x 3

Bench
    warm up sets
    45 x 5 x 2, 55 x 5 x 1, 65 x 3 x 1, 70 x 2 x 1
    work sets
    80 x 5 x 3

Clean
    warm up sets
    33 x 5 x 1, 43 x 5 x 1, 53 x 3 x 1
    work sets
    63 x 3 x 5

Squats were solid, bench was too light, cleans were too light and boy do I need to work on form (cleans). But all in all, it was a good day in the gym.

Cleans were way too light for you. Bump the clean weight by 10lbs next time. Bench looked very light too, I wish you had a spotter. Squats looked amazing as usual.

so glad to be following you Staci. Any partner of Gillian's is definitely someone to keep a look out for.

Thanks, mama. I should have a spot (albeit not sure how good) next time, so I'll bump that by 10lbs as well.

Looking forward to when I can start hauling weights heavy enough to justify learning how to use a belt

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    so glad to be following you Staci. Any partner of Gillian's is definitely someone to keep a look out for.
    LOL, Gillian's entirely too kind Aside from my husband, she is probably my biggest supporter and cheerleader. I will work hard to continue be worthy of her high praise

I'm so envious that you've gotten to train with her recently! And I really enjoyed the article that you and your husband wrote for the LiveFit journal. Thanks so much for sharing your stories!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Staci View Post
    I'm so envious that you've gotten to train with her recently! And I really enjoyed the article that you and your husband wrote for the LiveFit journal. Thanks so much for sharing your stories!
    I'm flattered...thank you so much. Even though I've only known Gillian for a month and trained with her a few times it has been invaluable...and you're right, having that cheerleader is pretty motivating.

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast