starting strength gym
Page 249 of 276 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 2751

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Great work, Browndog. Forward and upward!

Great timing on posting your IG handle. The app was giving me fits on my phone a couple of weeks ago, so I uninstalled it to do a fresh install, then suddenly decided not to. It was time for a break. Although the 3+ emails a day from IG trying to entice me back are telling.

Keep at it!

2/19/22

9th Cycle / Week Three

Squats: Wasn't feeling my best for these, tight hips and cranky knees. Still 147.5kg moved nicely for the top single.

Bench - Starting to actually feel good, even if the top single at 87.5kg moved slowly...there were no hot spots anywhere in the movement.

Deads - Coach is being very conservative with the numbers he's calling here. Top single at 195kg moved nicely, I'm gaining my confidence back. I've noticed that I'm taking a little too much time to "get ready" to pull. The point was driven home after watching Austin just walk up to the bar and pull 705lbs...no break in the action: just walk up, grab the bar, pull. Go over to his Instagram and take a look. I'm working on being more cognizant of not getting stuck over the bar...#confidence

Saturday - I'm getting the feeling that Saturdays are more about conditioning at the moment. Lot's of sets, goodly amount of reps for this time in the training process.

Week Four is shaping up nicely, I think all the lifts are there for the taking...just have to keep negative thoughts out of the equation. Squat will be around 157.5kg...this will be as heavy as I've Squatted since Chicago 2019. Bench will be 90, maybe 92.5kg, not that it should be hard, but it's as heavy a paused single I'll have done since tweaking my shoulder. Deads should be 202.5/205kg, again it's conservative, but it's all about confidence right now.

When I hit all these lifts, I'll be in a great place for the last training cycle before my meet on April 2. Conceivably I could be close to some PRs...but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Great work, Browdog, especially that conservative deadlift!

I'm guilty of the same, taking too long in the prep part, especially as the reps continue. I had a couple of sessions last year where the set felt more like a tempo session, quick and smooth between reps. It feels fantastic; I just wish I could capture that each and every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Great work, Browdog, especially that conservative deadlift!

I'm guilty of the same, taking too long in the prep part, especially as the reps continue. I had a couple of sessions last year where the set felt more like a tempo session, quick and smooth between reps. It feels fantastic; I just wish I could capture that each and every time.
    You and me both...

2/26/22

9th Cycle / Week Four

Squat - ended this cycle with a conservative single at 155kg...a little high. The good thing is, the weight wasn't soul crushing, and I could have gone for a couple more reps. With the upcoming cycle and then the meet, coach seems to feel that 165 / 167.5kg is in the cards for a third attempt. I'm trying desperately not too get to far ahead of myself...

Bench - a nice paused single at 92.5kg. A little slow in the last third of the movement...but it felt great in my hands and on my chest. I think this next cycle will see me take a paused single at 97.5kg. The shoulder feels really good at the moment, even with all the low bar Squats. I'm working on my visualization skills...100kg will fall this coming meet. If it doesn't, it won't be for lack of preparation.

Deadlift - an easy single at 202.5kg. Felt a little tightness in my right hammy half way up, but it wasn't a "problem" as such. I just slowed down through that part of the pull so as not to risk anything happening. Had I been allowed to pull what I felt I could, I would have put 207.5kg on the bar, but coach is being extremely conservative at the moment...I'm an old man don't you know. We'll probably end this next cycle around 210 / 212.5kg. I think 220 will be a third attempt come meet day. I don't see a way that 227.5kg is in the cards...but, you never know.

Saturday - Decided to push today's session a little, I'm feeling as good as I have on many a moon, and I want to take advantage of the open window. SSB was strong at 115kg for 7, Larsen Bench at 80kg for 7 was strong as well. There are no Hinge movements on Saturday. Belt Squats were crazy strong, 75kg for 15...with no pain to speak of in my left knee.

We've had 9 uninterrupted cycles of training since Raw Natls of last year. Considering where we started, and now where we are, I'm really happy about my prospects...it's been a really long slog to get back to being mentally in the game. This past training block has allowed me to relax a bit, and feel like my "best days" are not behind me.

sounds like you're in a good spot boss

Yep, sounds like you're in a really good spot. We're looking forward to your meet and rooting for you from afar!

3/5/22

10th Cycle - Week One

Squat - Opened up this cycle at 145kg. To my surprise, coach has me ending the cycle at 167.5kg...which would be my first "real" PR since 2019. I need to up my mental game...

Bench - Opened up this cycle at 88.5kg. Yes, we're micro-loading...and we're looking to end the cycle at 97.5kg PAUSED.

Deadlift - Opened up this cycle at 185kg. Again, coach has surprised me with an attempt at 215kg to end the cycle. That would be as much as I've pulled in a gym setting...ever.

I will admit to be taken by surprise with where coach has us ending up. I had figured we'd be 162.5/165 - 95 - 210/212.5.
    I had to talk with him and confirm that what he has laid out is indeed "reasonable", as he's been so conservative up till now. He believes, based on what he's seen, that all these numbers are indeed doable, and set us up for a meet that could feature as many as 3 PRs. As I mentioned earlier, I need to up my mental game.

My mental game has been strong up through 2019. My first meet back from Cancer/Covid in Feb 2021 went reasonably well, all things considered. Raw Natls was a shit show, and I'm still trying to work my way past that disappointment.

I've had 10 unbroken cycles since Daytona, with some solid cycles recently, and I'm willing to give myself credit for the work I've put in. So this is where the visualization work, affirmations of worth, and general resetting of my belief systems comes in.

This first week was right where it needed to be. Week Two will feature S: 152.5; B: 91.5; D: 195

sounds like a plan, and you're in a good place. can't wait to see that progress!

starting strength coach development program
    3/12/22

10th Cycle - Week Two

Squat - 152.5 for a solid top Single, confident under the bar, nice descent and rebound. Had an opportunity to practice "mind control", as the warm ups felt deathly heavy at 120kg. I reminded myself that being uncomfortable doesn't mean shit, attack the bar and the rest will follow.

Bench - Micro loading our way up the ladder with a top Single (with commands) of 91.5kg. I'm pleased with how the bar moved. I wasn't expecting coach to hit me with commands this early, but since I hate them, I need to get used to them again. Lot's pf practice doing singles this cycle...I'm not looking forward to what's in store for me after the meet 10s / 8s...oye.

Deadlift - We're nowhere close to a heavy single yet, even though the top Single was 195kg. No belt...no problem. I'm in a good place right now with Deadlifts. I can get into the position I want to start the pull. I've learned some new, and effective cues that have made me more confident at the beginning of the pull.

Saturday - Strong session, even with having played a hard Doubles Squash match last night, and then gone out on the town with the boys. Many beers were had...carb loading! And speaking of carb loading...my weight, as of Wednesday was 210.5lbs....WOOO FUCKIN' HOOOO. That's a new lifetime PR for me. Lord knows coach and I have been trying for 4 years to break through the 200lbs barrier...very excited. Might be a little fluffy, but we can address that after the meet.

Next weeks lifts will be: S 160kg; B 94kg; D 205kg looking forward to moving weights I haven't seen in two years.

Three Weeks Out...