Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 2742

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6/11/22

3rd Cycle / Week One reps/sets

Squat -
    Came in 15% lighter...sort of a mini de-load. Single @ 132.5; down sets @ 115kg 3*2. Some Bench, Bulgarians, and Belt Squats for accessory work.

Bench -
    Again, coming in lighter. Single @86kg; down sets @ 75kg 3*3; Spoto @ 65kg 3*5. Goblet Squats, single arm LTEs, Tri Pushdowns, Overhead Tri Extensions for accessories.

Deadlift - Same, same...Single @ 175kg; downs sets @ 155kg 3*2; Paused Deads @ 145kg 1*2. Paused Bench and Rows, along with regular leg work. Got this done in the morning so I could go tot he doctors appointment and just relax.

Conditioning Friday -
    Same interval work I've been doing. Only difference is that I was all alone in the gym, as everyone's at Mega Nationals.

Saturday -
    Paused Safety Bar Squats @100kg 4*3 (rpe7); Spoto @67.5kg 4*4 (rep6); Cable Mid Row / Cable Flys, and leg work for accessories. Early session as the gym closes early...still under Mega Natls staffing issues.

I will admit to being a little tired this week, so it's nice to have been able to dial things back a tad. My knee was a little cranky on Squat day. Bench is feeling great, and Deadlifts could use the back down as my hand is still not quite 100%.

I did have some soft tissue work done on Tuesday: shoulders to finger tips. Holy shit did that session hurt. The shoulders not so much, but damn...the work on my triceps and forearms was almost unbearable. It's now four day later and the musculature is just now pain free. My finger is feeling much better for the work.

As to the doctors appointment, the tl:dr is that I'm scheduled for a stress test / echocardiogram this coming Friday. The doc doesn't seem terribly concerned, but wants the test just to rule out anything really shitty.
    As I feared, he pushed the Clot Shot...HARD. In the end we agreed to disagree, but he didn't appreciate my push back. He's also pushing for me to go on Statins, but we'll wait for the blood work to come back, and then go round and round about the benefits for someone my age.
    He also, with a straight face, asked me if I was on any performance enhancing drugs due to my participation in Powerlifting at a competitive level. My response was to say: "look at me, do I like like I'm on anabolics?" I mean for the love of all that's holy, I still look like a stick insect...
    I may have to find a new in town PCP.
    Last edited by Browndog; 06-11-2022 at 10:42 AM.

I hope the tests go well for you this week. What's the clot shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    I hope the tests go well for you this week. What's the clot shot?
    Thanks...

The Clot Shot, aka Covid "Vax"...

6/18/22

3rd Cycle / Week Two - reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 135 / 142.5kg; down sets at 120kg 3*3. 2 Count Paused Bench at 85kg 1*4. Regular assistance leg work.
    Squats are what they are at the moment.

Bench -
    Singles at 85 / 90kg; down sets at 82.5kg 3*3; Spoto 72.5kg 5*3; 3 Board 72.5/82.5/92.5/97.5/102.5kg *1. Lots of arm work #gunshow, and Goblet Squats for accessories.
    Bench continues to be a bright spot...at least I feel good about it when I'm under the bar.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 175 / 185kg; down sets at 165kg 2*3, Paused Deads at 155kg 1*4. 3 Count Paused Bench at 90kg 1*4. Chest supported Rows for accessory work.
    Deads felt pretty good for it being an extremely hot, and humid day in the gym.

Friday Conditioning consisted of an Echo Cardiogram / Stress Test. Haven't had a Stress Test on about 20 years, and certainly not coupled with and Echo Cardiogram.
    Damn...that was no fun getting the last images while in severe oxygen debt.

Saturday -
    Tempo Paused SSB at 90kg 4*4. Spoto at 70kg 4*5. Mid Rows and shoulder work for accessories. Regular single leg work as well.
    Just a really poor Squat session: Dead legs and light headed...just damn...

So here's the 411 on the medical front (in reverse order):
    Stress Test / Echo - appears to be nothing out of the ordinary going on. A couple of extra beats in the lower chambers (PVC)...had this before, no biggie. The Echo Tech didn't say anything, but I assume they would not have let me leave if there was anything amiss. I get the Cardiologist's version Monday or Tuesday. I lasted a good long while on the treadmill, about 15 minutes. I paid for it on the table, getting the last few images under severe oxygen debt.

Had blood work drawn on Monday, and the results were in my hand Wednesday, along with the PCP's notes. Long story short, my Thyroid is out of whack, by a goodly amount it seems, which explains absolutely everything that I've been complaining about the LAST TWO YEARS.
    If there are 10 hallmarks of a poorly functioning thyroid, I've got 11 of them!

We'll start to address this issue next week. I assume it can be handled with medication alone. Though my PCP might want imaging done...sigh.

I just want to feel better...

6/25/22

3rd Cycle / Week Three - reps/sets

Squat -
    What ever was afflicting me Saturday, was still with me. Got a little tweak in my QL and had to walk 120kg back in; Down sets at 100kg 4*3. Some Bench and single leg work finished a really poor session.

Bench -
    Paused Singles at 87.5 / 92.5kg; down sets at 80kg 4*3; Spoto sets at 70kg 5*3; 3 Board sets stopped at 92.5kg - TIRED.
    Lots of arm work for successories. Bench continues to be a bright spot.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 187.5kg / 197.5kg; down sets at 170 3*2; Paused Singles at 160kg 1*4. Four Tempo Bench Singles with a 3 count pause at 87.5kg. Regular single leg work a d some rows.
    The back tweak from Monday didn't effect today's pulls, they moved really nicely.

Saturday -
    Paused SSB at 100kg 4*4, Spoto sets at 75kg 5*4. 4 Board Singles through 107.5kg...yes, that's correct 107.5KG; I'm feeling so much more comfortable un-racking heavier weights. Lots of cable sets: Mid Rows and Flys. Regular Single Leg sets, added a 10 second isometric at the end of each set...just for fun. I felt markedly better than last Saturday. I guess the Stress / Echo tests took more out of me physically and emotionally than I thought. Anyway, a much better session...and that make me happy.

Not much more to report on the medical front.. The results of the S/E test were clean. I'm in "remarkable shape"...I'm sure that they wanted to add: "for a 67 y/o cancer patient, with a bad thyroid", but they didn't. I contacted the PCP and asked him to get the follow-up blood test scheduled, so that we can put this thyroid issue to bed ASAP. I need to get after him Monday, as he hasn't booked anything as of Friday...grrrr.
    Last edited by Browndog; 06-25-2022 at 11:16 AM.

ah brother, well I'm glad they identified where it's coming from and hopefully they can resolve and get you back to...you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    ah brother, well I'm glad they identified where it's coming from and hopefully they can resolve and get you back to...you
    Thanks Mr. B...

7/2/22

Cycle Three / Week Four - reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 140/145kg; down sets at 120kg 3*3. 2 Count Paused Bench at 85kg 1*4. Belt Squats at 110lbs 10*3. Regular single leg work, plus Sissy Squats.

Bench -
    Paused singles at 90/95kg *1; down sets at 82.5kg 4*3; Spoto sets at 72.5kg 5*3; 3 Board singles with 10kg jumps / missed 105kg. Lot's of Bi and Tri work.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 195/205kg; down sets at 177.5kg 3*2; Paused singles at 167.5kg 1*4. Tempo Down / 3 Count Paused Bench at 85kg 1*4. Rows and single leg work to round out the day.

Conditioning Friday -
    Skipped...tired.

Saturday -
    Paused SSB at 110kg 4*3. Spoto Bench at 82.5kg 4*4; 4 Board Singles 80/5/90/5/100/105 *1. Cable Mid Row 170lbs 8*3; IYT 20lbs 10*3; Cable Fly 40lbs 8*3. Regular single leg work. Hammer Curls 70lbs 10*3; Dips bw 10*3

Had one last blood draw to confirm the diagnosis of Hypothyroidism...and yes, it came back showing sub-clinical Hypothyroidism. Started the process of dialing in the dosage on Wednesday. It will take a few months to get it "right". It appears that I may have to be a bit insistent that we get to an optimal dosage, and not just one that gets me to "normal", based on some feed back in Mark's forum (under "low T").

Anyway, I'm committed to getting this dialed in appropriately. I'm not competing anywhere /anytime until maybe early 2023, so there's no "rush"...other than I'm not getting any younger.

It will be interesting to see what symptom disappears / gets better first. I'd like my energy /strength levels to come back first, followed by this flippy heart beat. The cold hands / dry skin / constipation / brain fog can improve as they will.

I'm very interested to see how my cholesterol numbers and blood pressure react as well. Ever since I first started experiencing problems, these markers have gone rogue (not horrible, but all are up except Triglycerides).

Anyway, that's the state of the Union at present.
    Last edited by Browndog; 07-02-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Well, we do wish the best of outcomes for this latest phase of your life, Browndog. At least you have a path forward to focus on now.

So, for this weekend, celebrate!

starting strength coach development program
    7//9/22

1st Cycle - Week One reps/sets

Squat -
    Coming in light with Singles at 110/125kg; down sets at 90kg 8*3; Belt Squats at 110lbs 10*3. Some shoulder work and single leg work, along with Palof Holds and Copenhagen Planks. The sets of eight killed me, the next day I was wiped out

Bench -
    Singels at 80 / 85kg; 3 board singles at 85/90/95/100kg; T&G Bench at 70kg 8*2; Larsen Bench at 65kg 4*4. Three lovely sets of Tempo to Tempo Dumbbell Incline Bench 40lbs 12*3. Tri's and Bi's supersetted...oh and weighted planks...WHY? Bench is not an issue at the moment: shoulders feel good, and I feel confident under the bar.

Deadlift -
    Light singles at 145 / 165kg; down sets at 145kg 7*2; Biig Wheel Pulls at 138kg 4*4. Some dumbbell Bench, face Pulls and the regular single leg work. I handled the volume much better than the Squats from Monday.

Conditioning Friday -
    Not at the moment. Once we get dialed in on the medication, I'll be back on the Assault Runner

Saturday -
    Oooh, back to a traditional SBD Saturday. Tempo Pause SSB: 80kg 7*3...and that was plenty of weight; 5 Count Spoto Bench: 60kg 7*3...tempo "Largo" almost killed me, sped it up to "Adagio" and I was able to survive the 5 count. Deficit Deadlifts...WHAAAAATTTT. Haven't been able to do these without a lot of pain, and so they haven't been in the rotation for over a year: 140kg 3*3. Color me very surprised, and quite happy that they moved really well, and PAIN FREE.

This new block of training features a good deal more volume than I've been doing for the past year. Coach and I hoping that we can get back to a more normal training load as the medication kicks in. Certainly would be nice...

I'm a week into the medication regimen, and I suppose I'm in the "Placebo Effect" window, but who cares...I'm feeling "better: no heart flutter to speak of, I can walk up stairs / small "hills" and not feel incapacitated. Can't speak to any of the other symptoms, as they will take a lot longer to resolve. Though I expect the strength / energy issue to clear up next.