Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Awesome update BD!!

9/24/22

3rd Cycle - Week Four rep/sets

Squat -
    Tempo Pause Low bar singles at 120/127.5kg; down sets at 112.5kg 4*3;Tempo Down Belt Squats 140lbs 10*4. Single Arm Pulldowns and Cable rows, as well as single leg work for successories.
    This is an RPE 9 week, and to be honest I think the singles were closer to 8. Had a little issue with my left lower leg...just a bit of a bite at the top of the peroneal longus.

Bench -
    Larsen singles at 85/90kg; T&G sets at 78kg 4*3; 5 Count Spoto sets at 65kg 7*2. Some single arm tempo down dumbbell sets, and the usual blow up the arms Bi's and Tri's.
    The top single was a closer to RPE 9.5. In fact, the whole day was hard. I had to widen the grip on the Spoto sets, and I missed a set of LTEs due to fatigue. The only legit work at 9 were the T&G sets. It happens...

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 182.5/195kg *1; down sets at 175kh 4*3; Tempo Down 3 Count Bench singles at 77.5kg 1*4. Some dumbbell hip thrusts, Mod Rows and Revs Flys, as well as single leg extensions and Copenhagen Planks Hip Dips.
    !82.5kg was solid, but 195kg was all a back pull...hips shot up and there was no leg drive...very sad. That said, the down sets were solid, and in fact I did the last set dead stop re-sets and it was really strong.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Down SSB 100kg 6*2; Larsen Bench 70kg 8*3; Big Wheel Pulls 193kg 1*3. Successories were those damn Double Rack Goblet Squats, Front and Back Flys, Shoulder Clusters and Cable Hi Rows.
    Pretty solid day four week four...knee felt reasonably good, but the lower back was a little tight.

It looks like this program continues on RPE 4 / 5.5 / 7.5 / 9 for the next cycle. Seeing as the next round of blood tests don't happen for another week or two, I suppose it's appropriate to continue on as we have been.

My weight is holding in the 203/206lbs range. My energy levels are much improved (but still not fully back to normal). My knee has been responding reasonably well to the increased demands I'm placing on it. Squash season is upon us...that will be the real test. It is in the back of my mind that if I can't handle Court time, Lifting, and some GPP, I may have to look into a knee replacement (fingers crossed that's no the case).

All in all, I think this has been a successful cycle. My Squat is still a ways away from where I'd like, but I've been working on box squats for the past few cycles, and I don't really know how they'll translate to a regular back squat. My Bench is also not where I'd like, but I'm not as concerned as I'm girthier through the shoulders than I have been in the past. That should translate into a stronger Bench once I get the meds dialed in. I'm having a harder time determining where my Deadlift is, relative to days past. I'm starting to get into the proper weight and rep range that equate to a pull in the mid 210s...I'm OK with that at the moment.
    Last edited by Browndog; 09-24-2022 at 03:30 PM.

good to hear BD, it's great to see you plugging along in a positive groove

Great work, BD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Great work, BD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    good to hear BD, it's great to see you plugging along in a positive groove
    Thanks Gents...

4th Cycle - Week One reps/sets

Squat -
    Tempo Low Bar singles at 100/110kg; LBS at 105kg 3*3; 3 Count Larsen at 66kg 5*3. Split Squats, Pulldowns and Leg Ext for successories. Starting a week of RPE 4 work. Hate the Split Squats, yes I do!

Bench -
    Tempo Pause Larsen singles at 72.5/77.5kg; T&G at 72.5kg 3*3; 4 Count Bench at 62.5kg 4*3. Successories were Cable Fly, Tri's and Bi's, and Planks. Again, it's RPE 4 so not much to report. Changing the grip to narrow / medium / wide

Deadlift -
    Paused Deadlift singles at 160/170kg *1; Down sets at 155kg 3*3; Tempo Down Bench singles at 80kg *3. Successories were Single Leg RDLs, Rows, Flys and Single Leg Ext. Everything felt good...as it should.

SBD Saturday -
    An honest to god SBD Saturday, SSB sets at 90kg 8*3; Larsen Bench 70kg 6*3; Deadlift singles at 180kg *3. Successories were Flys and Rows, Shoulder work, as well as Single Leg sets. Gotta admit I was surprised at the rep scheme for today. Sets of 8 on the Squats...I wasn't expecting that at all. Got 'em done, and at a legit RPE 4, Bench was RPE 5, and Deads RPE 6. A lesson learned to expect the unexpected...

Next round of blood tests to check the Thyroid levels is this week (as soon as I contact Quest). I fully expect one more bump in the dosage. As I've said before, I'm feeling better...but not fully "normal" for what I would call "normal" The doctor may disagree...and probably will. Hopefully I get a new prescription and it kicks in quickly as I need to let my coach know if I'm able to commit to signing up for a meet in February (he's been holding a spot open for me).

Get out there and enjoy the cooler weather all y'all...

10/7/22

4th Cycle / Week Twee - rep/sets

Squat -
    Tempo Low Bar singles at 110/120kg; LBS 112.5kg 3*3; 4 Count Bench at 67.5kg 4*3. Split Squats, Pulldowns, and single leg wor for successories. Pretty solid Squats....

Bench -
    Tempo Pause Larsen singles at 77.5/82.5kg; T&G at 77.5kg 3*3; 3 Count Larsen at 67.5kg 5*3. Regular complement of Bi's and Tri's work. Another good session...

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 170/187.5kg; Deads at 175kg 3*3; Temp Pause Bench 83kg n/m/w grip *3. Some Rows and Flys for ssuccessories. Everything felt good...

SBD ***Friday***
    SSB 100kg 8*3; Larsen Bench 72.5kg 6*3; Deadlift 182.5kg 1*3. Revs Flys /Flys, Cable Rows, IYT, single leg successories. An outstanding session, especially considering that today is the 3rd of back to back to back session...and right after Deadlift day. I'm really happy with the Squats, volume on short rest (4 minutes).

I'm going on the road the week after next, and that necessitated that we combine weeks two and three (=Twee). Really we just went right to Week Three RPE of 7.5, and damn if it didn't go really well. Because the gym is closed for a competition tomorrow, we did the SBD work today. The RPE was set for Squats at 8, Bench at 7, and Deads at 6. Frankly, I may have undershot the Squats and Bench. I'm really shocked at how well I felt after yesterday's Deads, and how well I was able to attack the Squats ( my knee is usually a little cranky after Deadlift day, but not today ). Things are, for this week at least, looking up.

Not competing tomorrow, but I am the commentator on the You Tube Live Feed...are you ready sports fans!!! Speaking of competition, regardless of where we are with the Thyroid Drama, I'm signing up for our Mustache Mayhem in February. I should be "better" by the then.

Back at it Monday for a Week Four that should shed some light on just how far I am from being "back to normal". Fingers crossed...

Great work, BD, especially those pulls!

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Not competing tomorrow, but I am the commentator on the You Tube Live Feed...are you ready sports fans!!!
    I'm ready! What YouTube channel will it be on?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    I'm ready! What YouTube channel will it be on?
    Stay in Your Lane Thrasher - YouTube