starting strength gym
Page 264 of 275 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274 ... LastLast
Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 2742

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Yikes! Hopefully you get the warmup that we're getting right now, just watching the piles of snow dwindle down to not-so-much.
    Oh yes, we'll be getting that warm front...along with rain starting Thursday.

The flooding should be biblical...

We're going through that now. And guess where the biggest potholes are...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    We're going through that now. And guess where the biggest potholes are...
    ....on every street I travel at the moment.

12/31/22

Mayhem Prep - m3 / w2 reps/sets

Squat -

Top single at 140kg; down sets at 120/125kg *3. Paused Bench single at 90kg; down sets at 82.5kg 3*2. Successories of pulldowns, rows, curlz, lte's, tri pushdowns.
    Combined the Squat and Bench day, as today is Thursday and I'm making up for lost time. Pretty pleased with hitting 140kg after being housebound for a week. Bench was OK

Deadlift -
    Got this session in today, as opposed to SBD work.
    Top single at 190kg; downs sets at 165kg 3*2. Spoto Bench at 75kg 5*2; 3 Board singles at 75/80/85/90/95...missed at 100kg which pissed me off.
    No Squats, but I torched the legs with single leg extensions / curls; Copenhagen Planks; Wall Sits; Jumps from a Pull position.

I put conditioning work back on the schedule Friday: 15 minutes on the AirDyne at 50rpm, 25 minutes on the treadmill: walk 2 miles.

So, for being snowed in for a week, my return to the gym went pretty well. I don't think we lost any momentum towards the February meet.
    I feel badly for the local folks who were peaking for NY Prime Time, last week was really stressful. A lot of these people had no heat / power / and ran out of food. It was quite a storm. If you weren't in it, you can't fully appreciate how crazy being in a storm with Catagory 1 winds, with constant lake effect snow for 36 HOURS can be. It wasn't until today that the major arteries were fully cleared for travel.

Thanks to the folks from Ohio Dept of Transportation, Penna Dept of Trans, and the NYS Truway Authority for digging us out...

Happy New Year all y'all...
    Last edited by Browndog; 12-31-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Happy New Year to you! Glad you came out of last week safe.

1/6/23

Mayhem Prep - m3/w1 reps/sets

Squat -
    Low Bar single at 147.5kg; down sets at 120kg 3*2. 5 Count Bench 82.5/80/77.5kg *3. Rows, Pulldowns, and single leg work for successories.
    Not a bad single, considering that I didn't take any pre-workout elixir of life prior to training...I do not recommend.

Bench -
    Paused single at 92.5kg; down sets at 85kg 3*2; 3 Count Spoto at 75kg 3*3. Tri's and Bi's for successories.
    Much better Bench session than last week. And today I didn't forget the pre-workout...I'm learning.

Deadlift -
    Top single at 202.5kg; down sets at 167.5kg 3*2. 5 Count Bench at 85/80/75kg *3. Lot's of single leg work for successories: extensions / hamstring curls / wall sits / copenhagen plank hip dips.
    Pretty good pull at 202.5kg, might have had another one...maybe two reps available.

Conditioning -
    Got a Tuesday, and a Friday session in this week. 15 minutes on the Airdyne at 50rpm, and 25 minutes on the Assault Runner - walking 2 miles at about 5mph.

No SBD Saturday as our gym is hosting the USAPL NY State Prime Time, with a prize pool of $5,000.00.
    12 men in the field, including Bobb Matthews number 1 in the USAPL rankings for 2022
    14 women in the field, including Maya Wright who is in the top 15 for 2022

Lots of local female lifters from our gym, and a few men. Bobb will run away with the win on the Men's side, baring injury. Maya should win as well, but she'll need to be on her game as 2-5 aren't that far away should something go awry.
    What we should see is places 2 through 5 on the Men's side finishing with a DOTS score of over 500; and on the Women's side spots 2-5 putting up DOTS totals of over 475.

In short, a high quality competition, featuring only NYS lifters.

Hopefully we solve the audio issue that plagued us last meet, and I'll be commentating on the YouTube Live stream. Meet starts at 12:00pm

Prime Time set up iis complete.

Audio issues have been solved.

Unfortunately Bobb Matthews is ill and won't be competing this weekend.

Still, it will be a great show...and now very competitive on both sides of the ledger.

1/14/23

Mayhem Prep - m3 / w4 reps/sets

Squat -
    Low Bar Single at 155kg *1; down sets at 125kg 3*2. 5 Count Bench 82.5kg *3, *3, *2. Row and Single Leg work for successories.
    Had an issue with my current state of mind regarding my ability's under the bar. I survived the crisis of confidence...

Bench -
    Competition Bench at 95kg *1; down sets at 86kg 3*2; 3 Count Spoto at 76kg 3*3. Dumbbell Larsen sets, LTEs, Tri's and Bi's for successories.
    I'm of two minds on the top single: 1) it was slower than I thought it was when I watched the tape 2) it wasn't thattttt bad. Still chasing that "White Whale" of 100kg in a competition.

Deadlift -
    Missed the top single of 207.5kg...ground the shit out of a 2nd attempt at it, and strained my right erector ever so slightly. The singles at 180, and 195kg were really good pulls. I just let the bar get away from me at 207.5kg.

Conditioning -
    Got two good sessions in on Tuesday and Friday (my back was tight, but not crippling). 15 minutes on the Airdyne / 25 minutes on the Assault Runner on Tuesday. 20 minutes on the Airdyne / 25 minutes on the Assault Runner Friday.

SBD Saturday -
    Squat - 3 Singles at 140kg; Tempo Pause Bench - 3 Singles at 87.5kg; Big Wheel Pulls at 133kg 3*1. Successories included Dumbbell Incline Bench, LTEs, Curlz, Wall Sits.
    Squats were not affected by the back issue, nor was the Bench. Switched out Deads for BWPs to get some work in, but not stress the lower back too much. Worked on a new approach to setting up to pull...I liked what I felt, we'll see if it works all the way to the floor set up.

Sooooo, we're three weeks out as of today. I would imagine next week will have a heavy single, something like a second attempt / maybe a third attempt for Squat and Bench. Deads will be much less aggressive, BWPs as heavy as my back allows. Successories will be dialed back significantly. The following week will be openers only. The week running into the meet will be movement patterns only.

Let's see if I'm inside my coaches head...

1/21/23

Mayhem Prep - m4 / w1 reps/sets

Squat -
    Nice Single at 145kg; down sets at 127.5kg 1*2. 3 Count Larsen at 70/72.5/75kg *5. A bit of Bi's and Tri's, along with Wall Sits and Single Leg Hip Thrusts for successories.
    Didn't have a lot of energy coming into the session, so hitting 145kg was a win...and the depth was reasonable.

Bench -
    Two paused singles at 90kg; down sets at 85kg 1*3; Spoto sets at 70kg 8*3. Incline dumbbell work, Bi's and Tri's for successories.
    Really solid singles at 90kg. My ability to get good leg drive, without inadvertently bridging is improving. Timing the leg drive has made all the difference in my Bench.

Deadlift -
    Top single at 190kg; down singles at 170kg; RDLs at 100 kg 8*3. 3 Count Paused Bench at 85kg 2*3, and that was that.
    My back is still "tight", but I was able to find a way to attain a nice back position that didn't aggravate the lower back.
    Pretty nice way to end my 67th trip around the sun.

Conditioning -
    AirDyne and Assault Runner on Tuesday and Friday: 6 miles on the bike; 2 miles on the runner. Working in the 70% heart rate zone...not dying.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Pause SSB at 110kg 5*3; Paused Bench at 90kg 1*3; Paused Deads at 170kg 1*3. Single Leg Ext, Banded Hamstring Curls and Wall Sits for successories.
    The sets of 5 on the Safety Bar as part of the program surprised me...but I survived them. Bench was strong again, and my spotter thinks 100kg should be achievable. Deads were not a smooth as Thursday. I attribute that to the SSB sets today.

So I was pretty on point as to what this weeks program would look like...except for today's SSB work. What was up with sets of 5 this close to the meet? Obviously coach feels that it's appropriate, and I didn't die...so that's that.

This next week will be interesting: Squat is scheduled for a run at 165kg; Bench has an single scheduled for 97.5kg; Deadlift is all back dependent, probably 200 / 205kg.

And then the next week is dialed back to openers and not much more.

And that's the State of the Union two weeks out...
    Last edited by Browndog; 01-21-2023 at 02:38 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    1/28/23

Mayhem Prep - m4 / w2 reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 140 / 152.5 / 165kg...made the first two, missed 165kg...but I wasn't that far away from standing up with it. That's the first time since 2019 I've had 165kg on my back. My depth these days is surprisingly good, and consistent.
    All in all, I'm OK with where we are.

Bench -
    Singles at 82.5 / 90 / 97.5kg...82.5 was good (as it should be), at 90 my ass came off the bench (da fuq), 97.5 moved great off the chest and then got out of the groove and I missed the lift. Ahhhh, technique errors...and my ass came off the bench (wut). I haven't had an "ass" problem all training...sigh. At least taking bigger jumps between attempts didn't freak me out, and that should pay dividends come meet day.
    I know I'm strong enough to hit 100kg, I just have to get out of my own way.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 170 / 195 / 202.5kg....you might ask why the jump from 170 to 195, well I can't load my bar correctly at my advanced years, I was supposed to have 185kg on the bar, and then do 195kg as my third.
    Anyway, 170 was smooth (as it should be), 195kg was a little slow...for what I though was 185kg, 202.5 was a bit of a struggle, but considering that I failed 205 twice two weeks ago, I'm OK with it...sort of.
    For coming off a back tweak, and misloading the bar...it could have been worse.

Conditioning -
    Just one day (Tuesday) 20 minutes on the bike, 25 minutes on the Assault runner. Passed on Friday's session...it was snowing, and I didn't want to go outside.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused Larsen singles at 86kg 3*1; Tempo SSB sets at 110 / 115 / 120kg *5; Paused Deads singles at 175kg 3*1
    No Mas...I was tired, tired, tired...and that means I must be one week out from a meet. That, and my "no caffeine" de-load is in effect.

Looking back a year ago I was fighting with, at that time, unknown Thyroid issues, fluttery heart rate / fainting issues that really affected my training, and ultimately sent me into the doctors to find out what the hell was gong on. But the April meet of last year was better than Daytona Raw Natls, so things were "better".

Coming into next weeks meet, I've had better training consistency, and my health issues are seemingly under control. I expect a run at a PR on the Bench, and a Total close to 480kgs. The next meet after this is where I think we'll be back on the gainzz train and make a run at a 400lbs Squat, as well as a Total of 500kg. Gotta have goals!!!

My expectations are:

S - 140 / 152.5 / 160-5kg
    B - 82.5 / 90-2.5 / 95-100kg
    D - 185 / 200 / 210-220kg

Next week is a taper week, nothing more than openers, and light conditioning. Mustache Mayhem is 2/5/23. There will be a live stream...and no, I'm not announcing and lifting.