• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    10/21/23

Week Three (a week late) -

Squat
    105kg 7*3; 3 Count Larsen 60kg 6*3; Temp Down BSS 30kg 10*3
    For still feeling like crap, pretty good Squats

Bench
    72.5kg 8*3; Larsen 80kg 2*4...and lots of upper body successories.
    Bench is not moving well at the moment. Being down 7lbs will do that to the lift. I was supposed to hit 80kg for 3*3...but I just didn't have it today, so 2*4 it was.

Deadlift
    180kg *2 / 160kg 4*3; 1 Board Bench 70/72.5/75kg *5
    I'm still feeling like shit, and it's really effecting my sleep...and that all effects my lifts at the moment. It's really hard to eat and not feel like I'm gonna throw it all back up.

SBD Saturday
    Leg Press/Sled 270/310/330lbs *10; Paused Close Grip Bench 175lbs 3*3; Paused Deads 315lbs 3*3...single leg work, flys, and Presses for successories.
    Today was the first day I could eat something and not feel like barfing #littlevictories.
    I really Like this Leg Press/Sled. Bench moved a bit better. Deads were problematic as my Glute Medius was cramping all morning, making Pulls a pain in the ass.

At least I was able to train, even if I felt like ass. Hopefully I'm past this plague, and can eat and sleep normally again.

Hope you're on the mend.

10/28/23

Week Four - on the mend!

Squat -
    7*3 at 112.5kg; 3 Count Larsen 62.5kg 6*3; Tempo Down BSS 30kg 10*3...plus upper body successories.
    That's the best volume work I've done in many moons. Knee still feels great...long may this continue.

Bench -
    8*3 at 70kg; Larsen 77.5kg 3*3...shoulders, tri's and chest work for successories.
    Tired shoulders...did too many laps in the pool Tuesday, paid for it today.

Deadlift -
    4*4 at 170kg; One Board Bench 72.5/75/77.5kg *5...weighted Wall Sits, Chin Ups, Revs Flys for successories.
    Pretty good pulls, still below Week One's work, but at least I had the energy to get them all in #littlevictories

SBD Saturday -
    Single Leg Exts / Curls; Leg Sled; Close Grip Bench; Paused Deads; Flys / Revs Flys.
    We're gonna get after these legs now that I'm feeling like my knees can handle the work. Bench was strong, as were the Paused Deads.

Finally, I think I'm past this plague. It seems to be going around, and it has wiped out those who contracted it...so I don't feel too bad about being off my game for the past couple of weeks.

I've been doing more reading about hypothyroidism, and it appears that I'm still being dosed incorrectly (which would explain why I'm still out of breath at the slightest exertion). I should be about 25% higher than where I am presently. I've still got a bit more left in this latest prescription, so I'm not contacting my PCP right away, but I will be on his case in another couple of weeks. Many of the hallmarks of this syndrome are better, but the number one complaint of cardio-respiratory deficiency still persists. If I get to the appropriate dosage, I'm fairly confident that I'll be back to "normal" (fingers crossed).

New Cycle starts Monday.

I think, with my coaches buy in, I'll sign up for the NYS Championships in March of 2024. That gives me another month to get the medication dialed up, and then 4 months for it to take effect while I continue to train.

11/4/23

Cycle Two - Week One

Squat -
    4 sets at 100kg*5; 3 Count Close Grip 3 sets at 77.5kg *2; BSS, Pendlay Rows, Pulldowns for successories.
    Nice way to come into the next cycle. Energy, along with hips and knees were just OK today...but the attitude was excellent.

Bench -
    Paused Bench, 4 sets at 67.5kg *6, 3 Count Bench at 80kg, 4 sets*1; Flys / Bi's and Tri's for successories. Not the most enthused today, dealing with the ups and downs of this thyroid situation is weighing on me.

Deadlifts -
    3 sets at 155kg *3; Close Grip Bench, 3 sets at 65kg *3; Tempo to Tempo In Place Lunge, Chin-Ups, Mid Rows, Revs Fly for successories. Better day for Energy, Back/Knees, Attitude. Pulls felt heavy, but moved nicely.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Down Leg Sled 230lbs 10*3; Bench at 165lbs 2*4; Paused Deads at 315lbs 6*3; lots of machine work: Flys / Shoulder Press / Shoulder Raises / Chest Press 12*3
    Lot's of work, not complaining ...

Good first week, hoping to feel the same by the time we get to week four #fingerscrossed

And it official, I'll be signing up for the NYS Championships in Mid March along with a few other members of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post

And it official, I'll be signing up for the NYS Championships in Mid March along with a few other members of the team.
    Good stuff, Ill follow along!

11/11/23

Cycle Two / Week Two

Squat -
    4 sets at 107.5kg *5; 3 Count Close Grip Bench, 3 sets at 80kg *2...Tempo BSS, Pendlay Rows, Pulldowns for successories.
    A little tired coming into the session, but not enough to effect things too terribly.

Bench -
    4 sets at 70kg paused *6; 3 Count Bench, 4 singles at 82.5kg...Flys, Shoulder work, Tri's and Bi's for succcessories.
    Felt really good today, and that's after a lot of sprints in the pool yesterday.

Deadlift -
    3 sets at 165kg *3, Close Grip Bench, 3 sets at 67.5kg *6...Tempo to Tempo In Place Lunges, Chin-Ups, Cable Mid Row, and Revs Fly for successories.
    Another day where I feel really good...what's going on?!?! The weights may be "light", but it's nice to be able to do the work without being out of breath after the first rep.

SBD Saturday -
    Leg Press sets at 150/200/250/300/350lbs *10, Close Grip Bench sets at 75kg 2*4, Paused Deadlift sets at 155kg 3*3...Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Flys and Dumbbell Press for succesories.
    Another day of feeling really good. This Cybex Leg Press machine is a bitch, it's akin to doing Pin Squats as you start "in the hole"...350lbs was eye opening. I'd like to talk to the people who think these things are easy...especially those of us with long femurs.
    I'm playing around with my Bench set-up, bringing my feet underneath me now that my knees allow it. I like the tension the foot placement creates. The bar moved fast off the chest.

My weight is sorta stuck at 200lbs as my appetite hasn't really come back from the plague I had a month ago. At least I know my maintenance calories...

This was probably the best I've felt for the whole week in quite a while. I'm still gonna press the doc to increase my thyroid meds, but I'm grateful for the improvement I'm experiencing at the moment.

Fingers crossed that this energy stays high through week three and beyond...
    Last edited by Browndog; 11-11-2023 at 12:55 PM.

11/18/23

Cycle Two / Week Three

Squat -
    115kg 5*4; 3 Count Close Grip Bench 82.5kg 2*3; Tempo Down BSS 12kg 10*3....Rows and Pulldowns for successories.
    Happy with the Squats, especially from an aerobic standpoint - didn't crush me. This new Bench set-up continues to feel like it will pay dividends.

Bench -
    72.5kg 6*4, 3 Count Bench 85kg 1*4; Cable Fly, Shoulders, Tri's, and Bi's for successories.
    Nice Session, short rest between sets, and NO SPOTTERS, that'll get your attention fast. Putting the heavy Singles after the volume work has been an interesting change in programming, hopefully it pays off down the line.

Deadlift -
    175kg 3*3; 3 Count Close Grip Bench 85kg *2, *2, X; Tempo to Tempo In Place Lunge 16kg 7*3, Chin-Ups, Rows, Revs Flys for successories.
    Solid pulls, working on some technique issues: I'm too far in front of the bar / too much knee flexion. Bench was snappy...until it wasn't. All this extra grip work is paying off: I pulled my last warm up at 155kg, double overhand. I haven't been able to do that recently.

SBD Saturday -
    Lot's of Leg Extensions / Leg Curls / Leg Presses; Close Grip Bench 80kg 2*4; Paused Deadlifts 165kg 3*3...Flys and Presses for successories.
    The Leg work is a bit of hypertrophy programming. Bench was nothing special. The Pulls were really good; Not being so far in front of the bar made for a better pull / tighter set up.

The Tuesday Cardo sessions seems to be helping things. I've extended the time on the bike to 20 minutes (don't laugh, sitting on a bike is mind numbing), I do single leg work for reps, and then into the pool for a series of sprints: 40 yards *10. All this work isn't compromising recovery for the lifting component...so far (fingers crossed).

All signed up for NYS in mid March. After this upcoming Week Four, we'll start a 3 month training block to get ready for NYS's...

11/2/23

Cycle Two / Week Four

Squat-
    120kg 5*4; 3 Count Close Grip Bench 85kg *2, *1, X; Tempo Down BSS 16kg 8*3; Pendlay Rows 75kg 1*3; Close Grip Pulldown 130lbs 12*3
    Energy was good...until it wasn't on the Bench work. Squats were good; maybe a little high late in the sets. Haven't put together that kind of Squat session in a long time.

Bench -
    75kg 6*4, 3 Count Bench 87.5kg 1*4; LTEs, Curlz, Flys for successories.
    Better Bench session, my spotter shamed me into getting after the sets on short rest...hey, it worked. LTEs were in PR territory: 40kg 8*3

Deadlift -
    XXX...picked up a back tweak on Thanksgiving evening, how...don't know?!?!; Close Grip Bench 70kg 6*3; Tempo to Tempo In Place Lunge 30kg 7*3; Cable Mid Rows 180lbs 10*3.
    Tried to warm up and then go through a loading progression, but had to call it a day at 70kg. Did what else I could. Trying to breath while bracing all afternoon long was a bit much.

SBD Saturday -
    Lots of Double Leg Ext / Curls / Press; Bench; Chest and Shoulders...NO PULLS (***sigh***).
    Still a member of the walking wounded. I need to get into my acupuncturist ASAP...Monday can't come soon enough.

So, a tough way to end a good cycle. Onto training in earnest for NYSs.

I put in an email to my PCP, in regards to my Thyroid medication. I explained that while things have been going better , I'm still not as "energetic" as I should be. I included my USAPL lifters page, showing my results going back to 2017 (which I should have done well before this...I'm a dummy). Anyway, he acknowledged that drop in performance since 2019, and how it is directly related to my Thyroid issues: big muscle weakness / atrophy / lack of energy / endurance.

TLR - I'm getting another bump in my dosage. It's still below where normal protocols would put it, but it's a start not having to argue with him. Should things not improve, he's open to another bump (which would put me at a "normal" dosage).

Onwards...

12/3/23

NYS Prep - M1 /W1

Squat -
    110kg 3*4; 3 Count Bench 80kg 1*3; Tempo Down Single Leg Goblet Squat 25lbs 8*3; Rev Fly and Copenhagen Planks for successories.
    Nice to finally open a cycle at that weight, it's been too long.

Bench -
    70kg 4*4; Close Grip Bench 77.5kg 1*4; Tempo Down Incline Fly 40lbs 7*3; Tempo Down Dumbbell Press 35lbs 8*3; Tri's and Chin-Ups for successories.
    Coming in light to start, though the Tempo Down sets were interesting.

Deadlift -
    170kg 2*2; 3 Count Larsen 65kg 4*3; Single Leg Banded Hamstring Curls 30*3; Tempo Step Downs; Pull-Ups and Neutral Grip rows for successories.
    I wasn't sure that I would be able to pull today. Fortunately the acupuncture work I received on Tuesday did their magic.

SBD Sunday -
    Single Leg Extension / Curls / Press 12*4 50lbs / 50lbs / 150lbs; Larsen Bench 155lbs 3*3; Rack Pulls 295lbs 8*3; Dumbbell Bench and Copenhagen Planks for successories.

A little tired coming off announcing the meet yesterday. Speaking of which, lots of new lifters came out to compete yesterday...about 40 or so. There were some strong women and men, who will be something to see in a year or two with more experience under their belts. Nice to see a mix of young and old competing.

So an easy week to start the prep. Energy levels were good. My back is still a little cranky, but not enough to hold me back. Bench...we're just doing lots of every variation. It's gotta work sometime?!?!

starting strength coach development program
    12/9/23

NYS Prep - m1/w2

Squat -
    120kg 3*4; 3 Count Bench 81kg 1*3; Temp Down Single Leg Goblet Squat 35lbs 7*3...Rows, Flys, Planks for successories.
    Still working on getting my mind into the right spot for Squats. I'm still afraid of not getting out of the hole...I really need to re-build my confidence. All due to thhe way this thyroid issues has taken the strength right out of my legs. I'll get there...

Bench -
    77.5kg 4*4; Close Grip bench 82.5kg 1*4; Tempo Down Incline Fly 40lbs 7*3; Tempo Down Dumbbell Press 35lbs 8*3...Tri's and Bi's along with Chin-Ups for successories.
    Just putting in the reps. This is another lift where the sapping of strength is effecting the ability to generate power.

Deadlift -
    185kg 2*2; 3 Count Larsen Bench 67.5kg 4*3...Step Downs, Pull-Ups, Rows, Leg Extensions for successories.
    It's not heavy "heavy", but it's a long way from 227.5kg...sigh.

SBD Saturday -
    Belt Squats 245lbs 12*3; 3 Count Larsen 72.5kg 3*3; Big Wheel Pulls 143kg 8*2; Incline Dumbbell Bench, Leg Ext, Leg Curls, Copenhagen Planks for successories.
    Some new toys in the gym...finally a Belt Squat set up I can do without knee pain. Pretty good day...50lbs in the Incline bench...haven't had those in my hands comfortably in ages.

While I might be going "woe is me" up thread, I'm actually pleased with where I am at the moment. It's all about getting my mind right. I think my body is responding to the increase in thyroid meds. I'm able to push my knee further than I have been...if the knee works, I can perform simple as that.