Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 2766

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    12/16/23

NYS Prep - m1/w3

Squat -
    125kg 3*3;3 Count Bench 82.5kg 1*3...SIngle leg work, Rows, Flys, and Planks for successories.
    Squats felt great...it's so nice to be able to say that with no qualifiers.

Bench -
    80kg 4*4; Close Grip Bench 85kg 1*4...Tempo Dumbbell Flys and Press, Tri's, and Chin-ups for successories.
    A good day, not crazy good, but comfortably strong.

Deadlift -
    190kg 2*2; 3 Count Larsen 70kg 4*3...Rows, and Pull-Ups for scuccessories.
    I thought the Pulls were slow, but upon revisiting the videos, they were just fine. Bench was really fast as the sets went along.

SBD Saturday -
    Belt Squats 97.5kg 12*3; 3 Count Larsen 75kg 3*3; Big Wheel Pulls 153kg 8*2...Dumbbell Incline Bench, and Copenhagen Planks for successories.
    This new Belt Squat attachment is a revelation: very comfortable to use, and should pay big dividends down the road. Bench was OK. Pulls were as good as they have been in ages, really locked in.

Looking forward to Week Four. I haven't felt this good / strong in quite a while. Fingers crossed, I think my body is responding to this recent bump in thyroid meds...it's been about a month.

12/23/23

NYS Prep - m1/w4

Squat -
    130kg 3*4; 3 Count Bench 85kg 1*3...Cable Mid Rows, Revs Flys, Tempo GS Lunges for successories.
    Squats were just fine. First time in a while I've repped out 130 and not felt like death. Good successories...

Bench -
    82.5kg *4, *4, *4, *3; Close Grip - 72.5kg 1*4...Temp Flys, Tempo Press, Tri's and Bi's, Chin-ups for successories
    Ohhhhh noooooo...
    I made a huge mistake with Tuesday's cardio routine. Normally I swim, and I alternate Crawl with Breaststroke. This time I did everything Butterfly. Big mistake...BIG. My shoulders were trashed for Bench day. My coach rolled his eyes when I told him why everything sucked so badly today. I really do know better...

Deadlift -
    195kg *2; 3 Count Larsen 72.5kg 4*3...Mid Rows and Pull-Ups for successories...
    Could not get into a comfortable position to pull, and it almost cost me...QL got a little grabby on the 2nd rep. Enough so that I cancelled the 2nd set. Bench was better. A little disappointed with todays work. First time in a while I've walked out of the gym not happy with myself.

SBD Saturday -
    Belt Squat - 107.5kg 12*3; 3 Count Larsen 77.5kg 3*3; Big Wheel Pulls 143kg 8*2...Incline Bench and Bi's and Tri's for successoiries...
    Loving this Belt Squat at the moment. Bench was OK. Pulls were conservative, and felt OK...but you could tell the QL was just waiting to announce itself.

And that's the end of this first cycle. My energy was much better through out the month...enough so that I went and did that idiotic cardio last Tuesday. Anyway, I'm in a good place...as long as my QL doesn't go shit the bed.

Merry Christmas to one and all...
    Last edited by Browndog; 12-23-2023 at 02:16 PM.

I couldn't help but laugh re: your butterfly/bench fiasco. Sounds like exactly something that I would do.

Recover well for the next cycle. And have a Merry Christmas, BD!

Merry Chistmas! Are you going 6 days between lifting WOs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    I couldn't help but laugh re: your butterfly/bench fiasco. Sounds like exactly something that I would do.

Recover well for the next cycle. And have a Merry Christmas, BD!
    Thanks Bill.

I do stupid things all the time. One day I'll learn...

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Merry Chistmas! Are you going 6 days between lifting WOs?
    Oh lord no! Gym's closed for Christmas (as it should), but it will be open all the rest of the week.

I'll be on a T/W/Th/Sa schedule for the next two weeks. Good thing that we'll be on weeks 1 and 2 of the new cycle, so it shouldn't be too heinous.

Ho Ho Ho y'all...

Last edited by Browndog; 12-30-2023 at 02:11 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot...

12/30/23

NYS Prep m2 /w1

Squat -
    110kg 2*3; 4 Count Larsen 70kg 1*3; Tempo Down Goblet Squat Lunge 35lbs 8*3...High Rows and Flys for successories.
    Was fighting with lightheadedness at the bottom of the Squats, otherwise they would have been rocking.

Bench -
    70kg 4*4; Close Grip 77.5kg 1*4; Tempo Down Incline Fly 40lbs 7*3; Tempo Down Press 30lbs 8*3...Tri's and Bi's for successories
    Basic Bench day to start the cycle.

Deadlift -
    Paused Deadlift 150kg *1; Deadlift 130kg 4*3; 4 Count Spoto 70kg 3*2...Pendlay Rows, Revs Flys, Chin-Ups for successories
    Coach had me coming in really light to satrt this cycle, what with my back being suspect from the week four work...I felt OK pulling.
    My energy levels were down, and my attitude was really poor prior to coming into the gym. Nothing like a good session to get one's mind right

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Pause Belt Squats 107.5kg 10*4; 4 Count Tempo Pause Bench 72.5kg 2*2; Big Wheel Pulls153kg 5*2...Leg Exts, Tri's and Bi's for successories
    Nice end to the week with all this "time under tension work". These Belt Squats are the cat's whiskers. If I'm gonna get to 400lbs, this variation is gonna be the reason I get there. The Temp Down Bench felt better than a regular Bench...hmmmm. Pulls were OK

For the week as a whole, I was a little tired, but nothing that is concerning at the moment. Due to the compressed schedule this week, there was no "cardio".

Happy Hew Year all y'all...

1/6/24

NYS Prep - m2 /w2

Squat -
    120kg 2*2; 4 Count Larsen 72.5kg 1*3; Tempo Down Goblet Squat 35lbs 8*3...Rows, Flys, Leg Curls / Exts for successories.
    A little tired today, but no lightheadedness.

Bench -
    77.5kg 4*4; 4 Count Close Grip 72.5kg 2*3...chest and shoulder work, plus Bi's and Tri's for successories.
    Crazy day... I forgot where I was in the cycle and was doing stupid shit before realizing it. I went back and did the correct work.

Deadlift -
    Paused at 165kg *1, Deadlift 145kg *4, 130kg 4*2; 4 Count Larsen 72.5kg 3*2 ... Rows, Flys, Chin-Ups, Leg Curl / Ext Wall Sits for successories.
    Came into the session tired, but found a second wind. Pulls felt good.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Pause Belt Squats 120kg 10*3; 4 Count Bench 72.5kg 2*2; Big Wheel Pulls 163kg 5*2 ...Leg Work, Bi's and Tri's for successories.
    Again, I'm tired today...and never really rallied. None the less, I got the work in.

Looking back on the week, I see that I was "tired" more often than not. Could be the Thyroid issue...AGAIN. More likely it was the life stress of another cancer check up.

It's been four years since I underwent radiation and hormone treatment for prostate cancer. The every six month check ups get old...REALLY FAST.
    I was due for a check up back in September, but I cancelled it...it was right in front of Raw Natls, and I wasn't in the mood for bullshit.

I put on my big boy pants and went in on Wednesday, fully expecting to find that my numbers were trending on the wrong direction. Miracle of Miracles, my bloodwork remains at the bottom of the range, and has been stable at that number for the last three years.

The medical team is of the opinion that if my next two check up continue to show no alarming activity, I get to ***whispers*** RING THE BELL !!!

So, fingers crossed; trying not to get to far over my skis...I may come out the other side of this shit show. My only ask is, can we get a handle on this Thyroid issue...it's fucking with my blood pressure readings now.

Onwards...

Plenty of fingers crossed for you out here in the hinterland of the interwebs. Not just for the next two checkups, but the rest of it, too.

starting strength coach development program
    ^^What Bill said!^^