starting strength gym
Page 175 of 275 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 2742

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Browndog! I'm sorry for the delayed reply. We just returned from the northwest yesterday and my laptop died during the trip so I wasn't able to post here until today. (These forums aren't much fun to read on a phone!) Browndog understates his performance at the meet--he was gutsy and good humored. After a failed second deadlift he stepped up and nailed his third attempt for a pr. I doubt I could have done that. Whenever I've missed a heavy deadlift--and BD's dead was HEAVY--I've never managed to come back and pull another rep without first unloading tens of pounds from the bar. But he did it, and earned a place on the medalist's stage. So we have a top-ranked national masters 3 competitor here in our forums!

The judges seemed extraordinarily strict at this meet. I couldn't tell why they red-lighted many of the competitors' lifts, especiallly Browndog's second dead. In a garage or commercial gym I don't think anyone would have noticed anything amiss with any of his lifts.

I feel proud and lucky to have met such a great guy--and a determined, serious lifter. His enthusiasm is contagious--I'm completely psyched now to begin another round of training! It was an intense, fun weekend, and BD, you definitely did not talk too much! Mrs. Codger was completely charmed.

So now we have to get ready for Chicago in 2019! (Can't pass up a chance to add to our jacket collection...)

11/9/19

Hello out there...

It's been over a year (give or take a month) since my last personal post.

Trained like a man possessed since last year's Raw Natl's, with a goal of hitting a 500kg Total and a 500lbs Pull as a Raw Masters 3 lifter.

Happy to report that I hit the 500lbs Deadlift at this year's Raw Natl's...missed the 500kg Total (487.5kg), but that's OK. I'm really proud of the work I put in, and the results on the platform.

Unfortunately, I have had a reversal of fortune on more than a few fronts recently, and am facing larger challenges than those in the gym.

Most pressing of these issues is the fact that I have to address a Prostate Cancer diagnosis from 2 years ago. I start treatments this coming week, and that they should conclude in four months time.

Accordingly I have no plans to compete this coming year. I'll continue to train to support my health as I look to treat and defeat(?) this cancer. I'll also reconnect with old friends from my Squash playing days, and plan on playing some old man matches on Monday's and Friday's.

Just wanted to stop by with an update for those who have followed me on my quixotic quest these past few years.

I hope you will keep posting, BD. Your training log is inspiring.

And stay on " The Right Side of the Grass" .

Quote Originally Posted by codger View Post
    I hope you will keep posting, BD. Your training log is inspiring.
    Seconded.

11/11/19

First honest to goodness, make 'em run, doubles squash match in four years.

Lordy, lordy, am I out of shape.

The bad knee was a little cranky, but it was more soft tissue than joint related so I can work with that.

At least we won one game, were competitive in the next two, and only got drubbed in the "customer game".

That, and the post match beers were cold!

11/12/19

Training is fairly simple these days. Still trying to catch up on lost sleep, what with this disrupted lifestyle. That, and getting ready to start the cancer therapy protocol this coming Monday.

Just taking life one day at a time, one foot in front of the other.

Safety Bar Squat - 85kg 8*3
    Low Block Pulls - 135kg 8*3
    Wide Grip Larsen Bench - 60kg 8*3

Hammer Curls - 50lbs 8*3
    Dips - bw 8*3

I'm not sore from all the Squash, but I am tired.

I'm regaining weight reasonably well. At Raw Natls I weighed ~200lbs. My low point recently was 185 when shit was hitting the fan...I'm back to 197lbs. I'm surprised at how fast i've regained weight, as I'm not on any particular program or force feeding.

Your plan looks good!

11/14/19

Another day, a few more kilos...

SBS - 90kg 8*3
    WGLB - 62.5kg 8*3
    LBP - 140kg 8*3

Hammer Curls - 60lbs 8*3
    Dips - bw 8*3

As much as I don't like the Safety Bar Squat, I sure can hit depth with that bad boy.

Back at it Saturday...

starting strength coach development program
    11/16/19

Life is so unsettled these days, I'm very thankful for having the gym as an outlet and a support group...

SBS 95kg 8*3
    WGLB 65kg 8*3
    LBP - 145kg 8*3

Hammer Curls 60lbs 8*3
    Belt Squat 50kg 8*3

Last training session before we start the treatments for the prostate cancer. It's been something I've been able to avoid for the past two years, but no longer.

I've been told not to worry, that my prognosis is good, and that I have many years in front of me. I trust my team of doctors, after all they set the protocols for the NIH. I've assiduously avoided reading ANYTHING on the interwwebs. All that said, I'm still extremely nervous.

I trained as hard as I did, specifically so that I would have no regrets should things go poorly.

I love the whole process of training and competing, and the thought of not being able to be "at my best" is so very hard to come to grips with.

...deep breaths...trust the professionals, #trusttheprocess