Fourth Cycle - Week One reps/sets

Squat - 102.5kg 5*2
    Paused Bench (3 ct) - 72.5kg 4*2
    Super Set: Pistols (bw) and Single Leg Hip Thrusts (40lbs) - 8*3
    Neutral Grip Pulldowns - 120lbs 10*3
    IYTs - 10lbs 10*4
    Leg Ext - 50kg 20*4
    Nordic Hamstring Curls - bw 10*4

Squatted with bare knees for the first time in ages...'cause I forgot my Sleeves. Thankfully it was a "light" day for Squats.

3 count Paused Bench was loads of fun, but I hit the required RPE of 8 dead on.

The Pistols went better than expected, though it was to a "high" box. It was all my knee would allow comfortably.

That said, today was another pain free session, and I didn't take any Aleve too.

4/26/21

Fourth Cycle - Week Two reps/sets
    Squats - 70kg 5*3, 90kg 3*3, 110kg 3*2, XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Belt Squats - 20kg *10, 40kg *10, 60kg *10, 67.5kg 5*5
    Kettelbell RDL to Mid Row - 64kg 8*4
    Single Leg RDL - 32kg 10*3
    Oblique Rotations - 40lbs 10*3
    Belt Squats - 20kg 15*3
    Leg Extension - 60kg 20*3

Tweaked what appears to be my left adductor on a warm up set of three at 110kg. I say adductor because belt squats and leg extensions posed no problems...therefore not a quad issue.

No rhyme or reason for this to happen, other than I'm being tested. I should change my name to Job...

4/28/21

Bench - 50kg 10*3, 60kg 7*2, 70kg 5*2, 77.5kg *3, 85kg 1*2, 92kg *1
    Bench - 75kg 5*2
    Close Grip Spoto - 65kg 5*3
    Single Arm Dumbbell Incline - 50lbs 8*3
    LTE/Curlz - 40kg 8/10*3
    Tri Push Downs - 28kg 10*3
    Curls - 40kg 10*3
    Overhead Tri Extensions - 18kg 10*3
    Palof Press - 16kg 15*3

Trying hard to get my mind to frame the Bench movement as "fast". I was...until I wasn't at 92kg. Had issue with my foot slipping. Something that hasn't been a issue for a long time...grrrrr.

Saw our inhouse PT guys today. What ever is going on in the Quad/Adductor is not serious, but will require that I squat to a high box for the next few sessions...and probably close up the stance a tad as well.

4/29/21

Big Wheel Pulls - 83kg 7*3, 123kg 5*3, 153kg 3*2, 173kg *2, 188kg *1, 200kg X
    Down Sets - 163kg 5*2
    Dumbbell Hip Thrusts - 70lbs 15*3
    Face Pulls slow eccentric - 24kg 12*3
    Single Arm Hi Row - 20kg 10*3
    Planks - 60sec *3
    Leg Ext - 60kg 20*3

A bit of a mixed bag today. I wasn't sure how the adductor would hold up, and my lower back was still not 100%.

188kg felt great. Set up was as close to normal as I've been able to manufacture in a long time. Good drive through the floor and I rate it about a rpe7. 200kg was not to be as the adductor made it's self known...shut down the pull before it caused any damage.

Down sets were just fine, and not aggravating to the adductor. I dropped the weight as well to keep my lower back happy.

I've built up a lot of fatigue due to my knee issue keeping me from being able to use my legs, so every pull has pretty much all back up till now. Additionally, my sleep has sucked the past few weeks...and that's not helping recovery.

I chose to be positive about where my training is at the moment. I'm not where I'd like to be, but I'm not that far away either. Get me past the pains and strains, and I'm good to go...

5/1/21

Squat to Box (20") - 105kg 5*2
    3 Count Paused Bench - 75kg 4*2
    Pistols / Single Leg Hip Thrust - bw/20kg 10*3
    Neutral Grip Pulldown - 130lbs 10*3
    IYTs - 5kg 10*4
    Leg Extn. - 40kg 30*3

Played some Squash for the first time in 15 months last night. Played an hour or so, had fun, drank beer, and had a lot of laughs. The knee held up pretty well, and I was able to train today without any restrictions (save the adductor issue, which didn't bother me on the court).

Squats to the Box were just what the doctor ordered. Right height, weight and range of motion that kept me just on the outside of the adductor being a problem.

Bench was supposed to be an rpe8, but it might have been a 9 on the last set...it was close.

And I think I know where the adductor issue came from: Pistols! It's a novel movement, and I might have overdone it the first week they were in the program, building up fatigue that I was unaware of. Trying to do them today was a no go without using a crutch to take some of the load off this single leg movement.

I must say that I'm really happy to have been able to play some Squash and train on back to back days and not have my knee go pear shaped on me. My lack of "athleticism" due to my knee issues has been weighing on me. I needed a day like yesterday to reframe my "issues"...

5/3/21

Fourth Cycle - Week Three reps/sets

Squat to Box - 70kg 5*4, 90kg 5*3, 105kg 3*2, 115kg *1, 122.5kg *1
    S2B - 105kg 5*3
    Kettlebell RDL to Mid Row - 28kg 8*4
    Single Leg RDL - 40kg 10*3
    Oblique Rotation - 14kg 10*3
    Leg Extensions - 50kg 20*3

Lots to look at:

1) Adductor held up nicely at 122.5kg, though it still made itself known. Down sets went ok as well.

b) I had my 1 year anniversary of completing prostate cancer treatments with a check up today, my PSA numbers continue to drop towards negligible. The trend is your friend, as they say in the financial world.

iii) I learned a bit more about the effects of the hormone deprivation therapy I was put on. The doctors asked about my training, and how it was going. I filled them in on my precipitous drop off a cliff starting back last October. I let them know about the numerous strains and pulls I've been experiencing over the last 6 months.
    For the first time they admitted that the everything I've been experiencing is to be expected...as the effects of the hormone deprivation last longer than the warnings on the box say (especially for a "strength athlete"), and effect the larger muscles of your legs, more than your upper body muscles. So the strains and pulls are directly attributable to cancer treatments, not programming or me taking a turn for the worse...yeah I've been catastrophizing a bit the past few month.

I wash I "knew" about this earlier in the process. It would have saved me beating my head against a wall trying to figure out where it all went wrong these past 6-7 months. This new found knowledge allows me to re-frame my recent training experiences as well, and that's a really good thing!

I don't know if this will make enough of a difference to get me ready for Natls in Daytona, but I'm in a better frame of mind. Now if the adductor can come around fully...
    Last edited by Browndog; 05-03-2021 at 05:33 PM.

You sure have been doing great, especially when you were taking a drug designed to go against you, not like most drugs taken to enhance training. I hope things fall in place for you

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    You sure have been doing great, especially when you were taking a drug designed to go against you, not like most drugs taken to enhance training. I hope things fall in place for you
    Thanks Jerry!

I thought I asked all the right questions prior to starting my treatments. Originally the doctors said the effects of the treatments would peak within the first four months of starting the process, and that the body would clear the agent by the ninth month. That would take me to August / September of last year, and if you look back at my training, things were progressing quite nicely - gym shut downs and all considered.

At my six month post treatment check up, I informed my doctors that while I was back to about 90% of my Raw Natls 2019 training, I wasn't responding "normally". They had no real response other than I was still in "recovery", and that they were happy I was able to do as much as I was doing at the time.

As we all know, things got worse in terms of injuries and recovery since then. I seriously thought that things had gone pear shaped and that the cancer had re-appeared. I was working with my other docs and coach to try to find a way through the storm, only to be frustrated at every set back.

I mean, if you compare training regimens prior to and after treatments, my volume is down and my ability to handle intensity is questionable...regardless of my ability to demonstrate "strength".

Today's discussion with the docs changes everything. Yeah, I'll probably have to dial back my goals a bit in the short term, but at least I know they why of my situation. Given time, and a proper perspective I believe I can get back to achieving the goal that I've set since Nov 2019: a 400lbs Squat.

Thankfully I still have fun at the gym. I have a great coach, and an extremely supportive team that I train with. There are still mountains to climb, and I'm grateful I get a chance to test myself every session.

...and I appreciate you, and the others here who follow my ups and downs during the process!

My old friend Louie ( Powerdad on Instagram) is training for the same contest as you. He is 60yo and took quite a free years away from the sport, after doing pretty good info his 40s.His training has been going ok, but he does get tweaks as they say. I give you guys credit for fighting the good fight.

starting strength coach development program
    His name on Instagram is louloria. I just read he is thinking of pulling out. It is a tough break.