Page 252 of 275 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 2742

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    4/23/22

First Cycle - Week Two reps / sets

Squat - Worked up to a single at 142.5kg; back offs 7*2 @ 102.5. My hips were friendly for the first time in a while, and that made depth easier to find. Lot's of single leg work: a little more weight, a little less rest.

Bench - worked up to a single at 87.5kg; Touch and Go's *7 @ 77.5kg and 75kg; Spoto 5*3 @ 72.5kg. Not the best day on the Bench; it happens. Strong dumbbell work though, and that was surprising. Lot's of tempo arm work, especially working the Tri's.

Deadlift - Worked up to a single at 175kg; back off sets 7*2 @ 155kg; RDLs 8*3 @ 125kg. Nothing particularly taxing. Good pulls up the shins on the down sets...something I don't usually do, as I bruise easily.

Conditioning Friday - 5 sets of 4 minutes: 20 seconds on / 10 seconds off. A little faster / more distance, on three minutes rest between sets.

SBD Saturday - Paused Safety Bar 8*3 at 100kg; 3 Count Paused Bench 3*3 *77.5kg; Big Wheel Pulls 3*3 @ 193kg; Rows 10*3 @ 93kg. Shoulder work: IYTs, Clusters 10*3. A little tired today. Fortunately I was able to get all the work done without collapsing...those Paused SSBs were killers. Bench was actually pretty strong. I'm trying to touch a little higher on the chest. Big Wheels were interesting...I forgot I had my lifters on for the first set, which made it really hard. Switched to flats for the finale two sets and that made all the difference.

Went out to lunch with a gaggle of gym goers, Socialization PR!

a great way to spend a Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    a great way to spend a Saturday!
    Yeah, they're all good kids. They keep me young!

4/30/22

1st Cycle / Week Three - reps / sets

Squat -
    Singles at 140/150kg...slow, not tired, just slow. Two back off sets of 7 @ 107.5kg, and then my favorite single leg work: Tempo to Tempo Bulgarians.

Bench -
    A bit of a listless session. Singles at 85 / 90kg. Two Touch and Go sets of 7 @ 77.5kg, along with three Spoto sets of five @75kg. Dumbbell Bench and Incline work was strong, and then we blew up the arms with LTEs / Tri Pushdowns and EZ Bar Curls.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 175 / 185kg. Two back of sets of 7 @ 165kg. RDLs, three sets of 8 @ 130kg. Regular single leg extensions / banded hamstring curls and Copenhagen Planks to round out the day.

Conditioning Friday -
    More interval work. A little faster, a little farther... My heart rate recovery is good, especially for being a little faster in the work intervals. I'm hoping to be able to cut it loose in a few more sessions. I'd like to see how fast my turnover is at my advanced years.
    But, having said that, I'll probably wait until after the June meet.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused SSBs: three sets of 8 @ 100 (1) / 105kg (2); three count paused Bench: three sets of three @ 80kg; Big Wheel Pulls: three sets of three @ 203kg (1) / 193kg (2). Assistance work for the shoulders, and single leg work. I'm happy with the ability to work hard on Saturdays, after the hard conditioning work on Friday #jellylegs. I'm working on toughing a little higher on my chest on the Bench. I handled today's work with more ease than last weeks sets @ 77.5kg...progress! Overshot the BWPs @203kg, so I dropped the other two sets to 193kg...didn't want to push the lower back too hard.

And it appears that there will be one more week to this cycle, then a cycle of three weeks, and then a two week Peak/Taper into the June meet.
    Last edited by Browndog; 04-30-2022 at 02:30 PM.

5/7/22

1st Cycle - Week Four reps/sets

Squat - Singles at 150 /157.5kg...a little grindy at 157.5kg. No issues with the lightheadedness, or the flippy heart beat. We're not out of the woods yet, but the issue is "better".

Bench - Singles at 85 / 90kg...a little grindy at 90kg for no real reason. My right shoulder is not contributing like it should. Put in some 5 Board work to hit the movement at my sticking point, and work on keeping my shoulder in "the pocket", worked up to triples at 92.5 / 95 / 97.5kg. Something has to make this Bench move...right?

Deadlift - Singles at 185 / 195kg...very fast, felt great. Two down sets of 7 @ 170kg, plus RDLs: 3 sets of 8 @ 135kg.

Conditioning Friday - regular interval work, a little tired. Threw in one 20 second sprint to see what I could "handle", topped out at 12.5mph, and it didn't hurt. That works out to roughly, a 70 second quarter mile. My goal is to see if I can hit 15mph...with a stretch goal of 17.5mph (that's roughly a 51 second 440...)

SBD Saturday - officially tired. Squats were work: Paused SSB 105kg *8, 110kg 8*2. 3 Count Paused Bench was actually pretty solid: 82.5kg 3*3; 5 Board Bench singles 85/90/2.5/5/7.5/100...missed 102.5kg. Big Wheel Pulls - Tired and my knee has finally started to show a little wear and tear (nothing horrible, but definitely carrying some fluid), set of 3 at 183kg, and two @ 193kg. Rows: 3 sets of 10 @ 93kg.

And that was that...pooped.

Maybe some golf tomorrow, I need some range time.

finally golf weather! crush it, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    finally golf weather! crush it, brother!
    No joy Sunday!

We've had so much rain recently, all the ranges in the area are still closed...

5/14/22

2nd Cycle / Week One reps/sets

Squat - Singles at 132.5 / 142.5kg, down sets: 2 sets of four @120kg I see we added some extra Bench work in addition to what I've dreamed up. heavy single leg work.

Bench - Paused Singles at 85 / 90kg; down sets: 2 sets of 4 @80; Spoto: 3 sets of 8 @ 70kg. 4 Board Bench: 70/80/90/95/100...101kg just to work on getting comfortable with heavier weights in my hands and on my chest. We'll bring the bar down as the weeks wear on. Lots of arm work, blowing up the Bi's and Tri's.

Deadlift - Singles at 175 / 185kg; down sets: 2 sets of 4 @155kg. More Bench work: Spoto and 4 Board. Heavier single leg work, and Revs Hyper sets. I'm having a bit of bother with the middle finger on my left hand. Tendonitis / Tendonosis...who can tell. All I know is that it's making pulling extremely uncomfortable.

Conditioning Friday - Same drill, intervals 20 seconds on / 10 seconds off for 4 minutes sets. Finished with a short sprint and got up to 13.1mph...the knee was a little balky today so I couldn't "air it out" the way I wanted to.

SBD Saturday - Singles for all the big three, 3 sets @ rpe 7. I was glad to see these programmed as I'm a little tired. I may move the conditioning to Tuesdays. I need a day off after Deads. Moved down to a 3 Board Bench today...it worked, until it didn't at 102.5kg.

And we passed the two year anniversary of the end of Cancer treatments with another "clean" check-up. That took place Monday...big weight off my shoulders I must say. If I can get past this fluttery heart issue and the tendon issues in my left hand, I'd be fit as a fiddle. As is, I endeavor to persevere...

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    And we passed the two year anniversary of the end of Cancer treatments with another "clean" check-up. That took place Monday...big weight off my shoulders I must say. If I can get past this fluttery heart issue and the tendon issues in my left hand, I'd be fit as a fiddle. As is, I endeavor to persevere...
    That is fantastic news! Congratulations!!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Great news! Carry on.