Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 2742

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    woohoo! Good to hear, congrats!

5/21/22

2nd Cycle / Week Two reps/sets

Squat - Singles @ 140/150kg; down sets @ 125kg 4*2. Felt like dreck but got the session in. Bench work and Dumbbell Rows; regular single leg sets as well. For feeling like shit, the Squats were pretty strong.

Bench - Singles @ 85 / 92.5kg; down sets @ 82.5kg 4*2; Spoto sets @72.5kg 8*3; 3 Board Singles up through 97.5kg. Hit a Dumbbell Bench PR: 70lbs 8*3. Had to have some help setting up, but I was able to get in solid reps. Still working on blowing up the arms.

Deadlift - Singles @ 180 / 195kg; down sets @ 160kg 4*2. More Bench work: Spoto and 3 Board. Regular single leg work and some Rows.My finger is still cranky, but no worse. Pulls were strong all the way through the down sets. Bench work was "tired". I guess benching almost every day catches up to you.

Conditioning Friday - Same old, same old... Almost didn't get off the couch today. Fortunately, I did and I feel better for it. Might not have been as much total mileage as past sessions, but it wasn't a jog either. Top speed for a 15 second sprint 14.5mph....oohhh so close. Of course, I'm not sure I could put out that kind of work for a full 60 seconds, but the idea is in the back of my mind. Be kinda cool to turn in a 60 second 400 meter run at 67 year old.

SBD Saturday - What's this, I almost feel "normal" today?!?! Squat singles @ 140kg 1*3...NO SPOTTER, that's how good I felt. Tempo Down Bench singles @85kg 1*3; 3 Board singles through 100kg. Big Wheel Pull singles @ 193kg 1*3, finger was able to hold up with no apparent issues.
    I can't express how nice it is to feel "normal" (even if it's for a few hours). It's been a couple of months of feeling "off", and it has been wearing on me. If I have turned a corner, so to speak, I just might be in position to hit some PRs in all lifts.

All that said, due to the fact that I have been feeling "off" for too long, I decided to not enter the Powerlifting America Masters Nationals. I'm not willing to spend the money and aggravation of travelling down to Orlando, only to find my body not be up to the task at hand. Wish it were different, but there it is...

I haven't checked in for a while but you are doing great lifting and with your "clean" check-up! That's great in both cases! Keep it up!

5/28/22

2nd Cycle / Week Three sets/reps

Squat - Hit a Single at 150kg, and got a little grab in my left Quad, just enough for me to call it a day. Down sets @ 120/130kg *4, quad was able to handle this load without an issue; Bench work and Kroc Rows; and as always - lots of single leg work, with Copenhagen Planks.

Bench - Singles at 87.5 / 95kg; Down sets 85kg 4*2; Spoto 75kg 8*3; 3 Board 85/90/95.97.5 *1, 95*1, 90*2, 85*3, 80*5*2; Dumbbell Bench 60lbs 8*4, Tri's and Bi's work. Good single at 95, coach thought it was a slow single, but I really liked it's momentum all through the concentric phase.

Deadlift - Singles at 195 / 205kg; down sets 160kg 4*3; Spoto 85kg 3*3; 3 Board 85/90/95/97.5kg *1, 95*1, 90*2, 85*4. And that was that. I got an abdominal cramp that would not let go and couldn't do much of anything but flail about, trying to get my shoes and socks off. The single at 205 was slow, but never in doubt.

Conditioning Friday - didn't happen, extremely fatigued.

SBD Saturday - Tempo Down Squat 145kg 1*3; Tempo Pause Bench 87.5kg 1*3; 3 Board 85/90/95/100kg *1, 102.5kg; Big Wheel Pulls 198kg 1*3; Dumbbell Bench 60lbs 8*3, Straight Bar Curlz eb 30*3; Single Leg Ext 50kg 30*3; Single Leg Banded Hamstring Curlz Orange Band 30*3. Still a bit tired, but I got all the work done as written.

So fatigue finally reared it's ugly head. We saw it with the Quad issue on Monday, had some shoulder fatigue on Wednesday, Abdominal cramps on Thursday, and then being too tired to get in the conditioning work on Friday. It happens...

The breathlessness and heart flutter issue has persisted long enough for me to schedule an appointment with my intown PCP. I've had this issue before (many years ago with no lasting effects), we'll see how they address it now considering COVID (facepalm). It's definitely a viral issue, but in my eyes, non COVID related...we'll see.

While I'd rather not read about your recent developments, it's reality. All we can do is hope for the best and wish for you to have this behind you soon.

Hope they can clear it up pronto

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    While I'd rather not read about your recent developments, it's reality. All we can do is hope for the best and wish for you to have this behind you soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    Hope they can clear it up pronto
    Things seem to be improving, somewhat...Appointment is Thursday afternoon. If it's anything like my car when I take it in for an issue, all my problems will disappear, and I'll appear fit as a fiddle.

I hope it's only a case of too much work. I've been feeling weaker for a while. From what I've read here and in other places I would bet my testosterone levels are low, I am 72. I really don't think I am into doing that,not a Dr going type guy. I'm sure since you do go to Dr's they have looked into this.Hope you feel better.

6/4/22

2nd Cycle / Week Four - reps/sets

Squat -
    Dead legs, I spent to much time on the golf range the day previous. Singles at 140/150kg; down sets @120kg 4*3. Rows and single leg work for assistance. I suppose it's nice I can move 150kg when heavily fatigued.

Bench -
    Picked up a niggle in my left shoulder (come join the fun) warming up. Singles @ 92.5/95k; down sets @ 82.5kg 4*4; Spoto @ 70kg 8*4. Had to cut the assistance work short as LTEs and Curls really made my shoulder unhappy.

Deadlift -
    Singles @ 185/195kg; down sets @ 165kg 4*3; Spoto 87.5kg 3*3. Rows didn't feel good so I cut them short. Seeing the Acupuncturist Friday. Single leg work as always to finish the day.

Accupuncturist Appt -
    My guy is a wizard with the needles. He was able to palpate the problem spots that I had ID'd on Wednesday. Many needles w/ electrostim later, the shoulder felt much better. I had him look at my left hand / middle finger as well. He buried a couple of needles up to the hilt in each side of the finger, at the base of the palm...think Wolverine and Adamantium blades. I'm not terribly good with needles to begin with. Watching him work, took me to a whole other level of queasiness. Never the less, I persevered...

SBD Saturday -
    I had quite a good day today, totally unexpected. Though I was fired up prior to hitting the gym. I had received an email from a grade school classmate that was very thoughtful, and totally on point with my life under the bar. So, yeah...I was pumped up. You just never know who's following your journey in life and has an appreciation for what your doing. I have a reunion in a few weeks with these guys, and this fellow is gonna get a big hug from me.

Anyway: Squats felt as good as they ever have when walking them out and setting up. 3 Singles @ 150kg, they moved slowly but I'm built for torque not horsepower. Bench felt great as well, 3 singles at 90kg, tempo paused. I haven't felt as comfortable and confident under the bar at this weight EVER. Big Wheel Pulls moved nicely, 3 singles @ 203kg. The work the Acupuncturist did paid off, as my hand felt much improved over the past few weeks.

My gym has a goodly number of folks taking part in Mega Natls this coming week. It's a strange feeling to have your teammates go off to this competition, and not be going with them...both to compete and cheer them on. This will be the first one I've missed since 2017. Everyone has had great training blocks, I can't wait to see what numbers they put up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I hope it's only a case of too much work. I've been feeling weaker for a while. From what I've read here and in other places I would bet my testosterone levels are low, I am 72. I really don't think I am into doing that,not a Dr going type guy. I'm sure since you do go to Dr's they have looked into this.Hope you feel better.
    Yeah, I'm not too worried about my T levels at the moment...never have been prior either. This current issue is due to a virus (non COVID). I've had it before. It's just a question as to whether it's really fucked my heart's electrical system.