• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Keep up the good hard work!

great news on all fronts

7/17/22

1st Cycle / Week Two - reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 125/135kg; down sets at 100kg 8*3; Belt Squats at 130lbs 10*3. Some upper body accessory work, along with single leg sets. Handled the volume a bit better this week.

Bench -
    Paused Singles at 85/90kg *1; T&G down sets at 72.5kg 8*3; 3 Board Singles at 72.5/82.5/92.5/97.5kg; Larsen Bench sets at 67.5kg 4*4. Lots of Bi's and Tri's work.
    Tired shoulders for the first time in a long time. The volume Low Bar work is to blame #conjecture

Deadlift -
    Singles at 165/177.5kg; down sets at 155kg 8*3; Deficit Deads at 150kg 3*3. Finished with single leg work, and reverse hypers to get a little blood pumping into my low back.

No Conditioning

SBD SUNDAY -
    Tempt Pause SSSB, sets at 85kg 7*3; 5 Count Spoto, sets at 62.5kg 7*3,; Big Wheel Pulls, sets at 153kg 4*4

The gym hosted a USAPL event, so no training Saturday. Lots of strong lifters, both men and women. Very motivating to say the least. I felt like hammered shit though...

Into the second week of the Thyroid medication, and the placebo effect has worn off. I am having "better" days, but the "bad" days are just soul crushingly tiring...yesterday was one of those days.

The kidney ultrasound came back clean, no evidence of any kidney damage AT ALL. I'm still off creatine and and any NSAIDS until my next blood test. Speaking of which, I'm going to attempt to goose the doctor, so as to move up the next draw from end of August, to the end of July. I'm on a really low dose at the moment, and I want to get things on track for a therapeutic dosage - NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    I'm going to attempt to goose the doctor NOW!
    make sure there's video!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    make sure there's video!
    OK...I laughed, well and truly.

Such a Hordian comment. I should have known not to hang a curve ball like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    make sure there's video!
    That was good!

Hang in there BD you've kicked more ass than this before and you're still lifting good weights!! Great news about the kidneys!
    Last edited by Fred J; 07-17-2022 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    OK...I laughed, well and truly.

Such a Hordian comment. I should have known not to hang a curve ball like that...
    Especially not for a Moron like me!

7/21/22

1st Cycle - Week Three reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 137.5/145kg (a tad high); down sets at 107.5kg 8*3; Belt Squats at 1445lbs 10*3. Some upper body assistance work, and regular single leg work. Not a bad session for having done my SBD work the day before. I'm handling the volume just a bit better...

Bench -
    Singles at 87/92kg (yes 87 and 92kg); 3 Board Singles at 72/82/92/97/102kg; T&G Bench sets at72kg 8*2; Larsen Bench sets at 67kg 4*4. Bi's and Tri's super setted with Hammer Curls...blow that shit up!

Deadlift -
    Singles at 180/190kg (slow, but easy); down sets at 150kg 8*3; Big Wheel Pulls at 173kg 4*4. Dumbbell Bench, Face Pulls, and single leg work. Today was the first day where I felt strong and not crushed from beginning to end...almost like the "before times". I must be feeling better, as this kinda volume, with this much weight would have crushed me in recent cycles.

I'm off this weekend, so no SBD Saturday. Heading down to where I grew up for a 50th reunion. Am I really that old??? Thank god I don't feel 67 y/o (at the moment).

See y'all next week. Week Four under the new medication: should be interesting!

enjoy! I have my 40th in 2 weeks

starting strength coach development program
    7/30/22

1st Cycle / Week Four reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 140/150kg; down sets at 110kg 8*3; Belt Squats 150lbs 10*3. Normal single leg reps and some shoulder work. A little tired from a long weekend, and a little more driving than I've done in a while. Actually, I'm surprised I could Squat at all...

Bench -
    Singles at 89/94kg; 2 Board singles at 74/84/89kg; T&G Bench at 74kg *8,*7; Larsen Bench 70kg 4*4. Lot's of Tri's and Bi's as usual. Really tired today, everything was a struggle. Couldn't complete sets, had to drop the weight on a number of exercises. The days where I feel good are not as rare as they used to be, but the bad days are butt kicking at the moment.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 185/195kg; down sets at 145kg 8*2, Big Wheel Pulls at 163kg 4*3. Some Dumbbell work and single leg reps. Ugly singles, dropped a set on the down sets and the BWP. I started to feel better by the time I got into the assistance work. It was like someone threw a light switch...crazy feeling.

Saturday -
    SBD Saturday: Tempo Pause SSB at 90kg 7*3, 5 Count Spoto at 65kg 7*3; Deficit Deads at 150kg 3*3. Lot's of successories: Dumbbell Bench, Pulldowns; single leg sets; Straight Bar Curls...bro it out. Felt much better today. Really surprised at how well the Deficit Deads felt and moved. My knee was extremely cooperative...praise Jesus.

End of the cycle. I'm interested to see what's in store for the next one....most likely more volume. 30 days on Thyroid replacement medicine and I can feel a difference, but I'm still not back to normal energy levels. I "goosed" the Doctor (aka emailed), and told him to bump up the Blood Tests. He wasn't thrilled with my request, but put in the order with Quest Diagnostics (I'm scheduled for this coming Friday).

He stated that he liked to be conservative with the increase in dosage...take his time as it were. DUDE!!! I'm a cancer survivor, who knows how long I remain in that category. Besides, I've been feeling like crap for over two years...I'd like to feel better ASAP. Honestly, DA FUQ!

Great reunion, a fun weekend was had by all in attendance...even the spouses had fun. Drove home through some of the most hellacious rain storms I've ever experienced. I picked a hell of a time to "see America first". I got caught in the Allegheny Mountains. 2 hours of rain so heavy, the windshield wipers couldn't keep up. Trees were downed, roads were filled with running water, and eventually the route I was on was closed due to the downfall blocking a long section along the Allegheny River. Ended up having to backtrack, find a crossing to the other side of the river, and re-route the trip. what should have been 4 hours ended up being 6 hours behind the wheel. Did I stop for a break when possible...I DID NOT. My hips and knees were not happy, let me tell you...