starting strength gym
Page 256 of 275 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 2742

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    oh man, and 6 hours of very tense whitegripofedathonthesteeringwheel too!

those valleys can get nasty when it pours like that.

hope you and the doc can resolve things brother!

8/6/22

2nd Cycle / Week One - reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 80/90kg; down sets at 70kg 6*3; Sissy Squats for reps. Upper Body successories, and the regular single leg sets. Coming in really light to start this cycle, so I took the opportunity to re-introduce myself to proper depth by squatting to a box. I find that I need to get a bit more ankle dorsiflexion...we'll work on this throughout this cycle.

Bench -
    Paused Larsen single at 77.5kg; T&G at 60kg 6*3; 3 Count sets at 62.5kg 5*3; 1 Board singles at 60/70/80/90kg. Blew up the arms for successories. Again, we start this cycle light, light, light.

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 140/160kg; Paused down sets at 140kg 6*2; Tempo RDLs at 120 7*2. Close Grip Tempo Bench sets at 60kg 7*3; Revs Fly; Mid Rows; and single leg sets. Did this work on Friday, as I wanted Thursday off before Friday's blood tests.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused SSB 100/95kg *5; 2 Count Paused Larsen sets at 65kg 6*2; Big Wheel Pulls sets at 153kg 2*2; Belt Squats sets at 100lbs 12*2. Flys, Revs Flys, Cable Rows, Dumbbell Press for successories, as well as paused single leg sets.

Light start to the cycle worked in my favor as I wouldn't be too beat up going into the next round of blood tests.. While the doctor is testing my thyroid numbers, he's also testing my kidney function as well. So I've been off creatine, and stopped any use of NSAIDS for the past five weeks. By taking things easy, as well as having a day off before the tests, I shouldn't be dumping any "extra" protein into the system from muscle breakdown.

I should hear more on Monday, and I fully expect that the thyroid dosage will be bumped up...to where, probably 50mcg. The dosage should be higher, but he's gonna go slowly by the look of things.

I also expect the creatinine numbers to be markedly lower, not low enough to suit him, but low enough to blame the results on my years of weight training, and not that my kidneys are "shot".
    Last edited by Browndog; 08-06-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Good luck with the tests, BD.

It does sound like the doc started you very conservative on the thyroid dosage. My doc went straight to 50mcg a few years ago and that got the numbers to right where she was satisfied with them (meaning, they fall withing the range the lab tells her is acceptable). A few years of that and I'm starting to feel the same way even though the numbers are fine, so I'm starting to look into T.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Good luck with the tests, BD.

It does sound like the doc started you very conservative on the thyroid dosage. My doc went straight to 50mcg a few years ago and that got the numbers to right where she was satisfied with them (meaning, they fall withing the range the lab tells her is acceptable). A few years of that and I'm starting to feel the same way even though the numbers are fine, so I'm starting to look into T.
    Interesting to read that Bill.

I'm going to heed your story, and the words of Dr. Nichols on the Low T thread in which he referred to thyroid issues being handled he same way low T issues get handled, and be a bit of a pain in the ass. I'm looking for an optimal dosage, not just one that will get me to an "appropriate range".

I've been finding that story to be true across the board. The reference ranges keep lowering, then suddenly bloodwork values that have held steady throughout my life are suddenly in need of intervention via medication, but only just enough to keep them in that ever-changing reference range. Pretty much every single "condition" that my docs keep trying to push a script for seems to be an issue that may be an optimal dose of T could resolve. Or maybe not. I'm going in just as skeptical as I would for the rest of the stuff, but it will be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    I've been finding that story to be true across the board. The reference ranges keep lowering, then suddenly bloodwork values that have held steady throughout my life are suddenly in need of intervention via medication, but only just enough to keep them in that ever-changing reference range. Pretty much every single "condition" that my docs keep trying to push a script for seems to be an issue that may be an optimal dose of T could resolve. Or maybe not. I'm going in just as skeptical as I would for the rest of the stuff, but it will be interesting to see.
    OK...I'm impressed. The results of the blood work just got posted to the "my chart" app, and my doctor actually responded as well...ON A SATURDAY.

Anyway, the urine analysis came back "normal", and my creatinine is 1.27; that's a drop from 1.47/1.48. The BUN ratio is on the high side, but that dropped as well. So I think we put to bed any kidney related issues, and can concentrate on the thyroid going forward.

As I suspected, my TSH is holding around 6.80 ( T3, T3 total, T4 are within norms, some to the higher side, some to the lower), and the doctor is recommending that we bump things up to .50mcg. I'm fucking clairvoyant I am...

I just need to hear back as to whether there is a new script, or I just double off my current supply.

Still somewhat shocked to get a response late Saturday afternoon. My faith in the profession is somewhat bolstered...now if he'd just stop pushing the Jab (not that I'm gonna take it).

p.s. I just read the Kidney Ultrasound report, and was happy to see that they measured the prostate as part of the program, and that my prostate hasn't changed in size since my cancer treatments. Now that makes me really happy...

Carry on!
    Last edited by Browndog; 08-06-2022 at 03:52 PM.

Congrats on the ultrasound report. I hope the rest works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post

p.s. I just read the Kidney Ultrasound report, and was happy to see that they measured the prostate as part of the program, and that my prostate hasn't changed in size since my cancer treatments. Now that makes me really happy...
    FANTASTIC!!!!

My doctor still gets the Sadz face since he has nothing to do with his fingers since they removed mine...

Good to see that you have been having some progress with you medical issues.But reading all this stuff makes me realize how much I hate doctor visits, probably due to the amount of time I've spent taking family members too them.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Good to see that you have been having some progress with you medical issues.But reading all this stuff makes me realize how much I hate doctor visits, probably due to the amount of time I've spent taking family members too them.
    well, and all these damn medications always seem to cause other issues, too, don't they? It helps one thing but puts something else out of whack that then they want to give you another pill for...