starting strength gym
Page 257 of 275 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 2742

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    well, and all these damn medications always seem to cause other issues, too, don't they? It helps one thing but puts something else out of whack that then they want to give you another pill for...
    I fight that constantly, especially after watching what my Mom went through. They just kept piling them on and the interactions eventually presented the symptoms of early onset dementia (in her late 50s). It took a couple of years and a completely unrelated doctor to go "well, no shit" before they started weening her off of the grossest offenders. She's good now, but I think of the years she lost for herself. Now, my docs basically have to give a dissertation to justify why I should take something. And if I agree, it's usually because there's a very good off-label benefit to it that interests me more than the primary purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Congrats on the ultrasound report. I hope the rest works out for you.
    We're getting there. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    FANTASTIC!!!!

My doctor still gets the Sadz face since he has nothing to do with his fingers since they removed mine...
    He'll still want to practice...(heh)

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Good to see that you have been having some progress with you medical issues.But reading all this stuff makes me realize how much I hate doctor visits, probably due to the amount of time I've spent taking family members too them.
    I told this new PCP that I'm really tired of tests and visits after the 2 1/2 years of this nonsense. I don't think it registers with them: go here for a blood test; go there for an MRI; go somewhere else for a follow-up.

Used to be (at this practice anyway), it was a one stop shop, you could get everything done in one location, in the same day. The cancer center I go to works that way: blood tests, scans, follow-up all in one session. It might end up being a long day, but it's ONE DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    I fight that constantly, especially after watching what my Mom went through. They just kept piling them on and the interactions eventually presented the symptoms of early onset dementia (in her late 50s). It took a couple of years and a completely unrelated doctor to go "well, no shit" before they started weening her off of the grossest offenders. She's good now, but I think of the years she lost for herself. Now, my docs basically have to give a dissertation to justify why I should take something. And if I agree, it's usually because there's a very good off-label benefit to it that interests me more than the primary purpose.
    I had the same situation with my Mom. It was finally addressed when the gerontologist listened to me, and she got off a good third of the meds various other doctors had her on. There's a term for this: Polypharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post

He'll still want to practice...(heh)
    but the magic is gone!

8/13/22

Cycle Two / Week Two reps/sets

Squat -
    Paused Singles at 110/115kg; Down Sets at 97.5kg 6*3; Sissy Squats orange band 20*3. Some upper body sets and regular single leg work. Beastly hot and humid...made the session no fun at all. That said, the Squats were good, and I handled the conditions pretty well.

Bench -
    Larsen Singles at 77.5/82.5kg; T&G at 75/72.5/70kg *6; 1 Board singles at 60/70/80/90kg; 3 Count sets at 65kg 5*3. Tempo Down Dumbbell sets at 40lbs 8*3; blew up the arms...it is Bench day after all. Better weather, shitty session...I'm back in the Bench doldrums.

Deadlift -
    Paused Singles at 160/172.5kg; Down Set Deads at 150kg 6*3; Tempo Down RDL at 125kg 7*2. Some upper back work, and regular single leg sets, along with Copenhagen Planks. Much better session, better energy levels. Probably the best I've felt in a long time.

So, a week at 50mcg of Synthroid, and I'm feeling more of a difference now. Aerobically I'm still sucking wind, but I can do more "work" without feeling crushed.

My weight, after topping out at 213lbs back in April, is down to 203lbs +/- 2lbs. The medication is definitely at play here.

Progress is progress, and I'm pleased with the trend of things at the moment.
    Last edited by Browndog; 08-13-2022 at 01:38 PM.

[So, a week at 50mcg of Synthroid, and I'm feeling more of a difference now.]

That's great to hear.

[Beastly hot and humid...]

I know that feeling all too well...

8/20/22

2nd Cycle / Week Three rep/sets

Squat -
    Paused singles at 120/125kg; down sets at 102.5kg 6*3; sissy squats. Some upper back successories, along with normal single leg work. I can see some progress here, it's not showing up with weight on the bar, more in the amount of work I can do.

Bench -
    Larsen singles at 80/84kg; T&G 72.5/73.5/74kg *6; 1 Board singles 65/75/85/90/92.5kg; 3 Count sets at 66kg 5*3. As always, blowing up the arms with lots of Bi and Tri sets. Better Bench session than last week.

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 172.5/182.5kg; down sets at 152.5kg 6*3; Tempo Down RDLs at 130kg 7*2. Close Grip Bench Tempo Down sets at 67.5kg 7*3, some upper back successories, along with...(all together now) normal single leg sets and Copenhagen Planks. Pretty solid session of pick 'em ups. Close Grip work got a little dicey on the last reps of the last set...I went with out spotters, and almost got pinned on the last rep...oops.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused SSB at 105kg 5*2; 2 Count Bench at 70kg 5*2; Big Wheel Pulls at 173kg 2*2. Lot's of upper body successories: Flys (back and front) Hi Rows and Dumbbell Presses...and yes, regular single leg work. Good session: felt in control on the Squats; forgot my rep scheme on the Bench...should have been 6 reps, not 5; BWPs are progressing nicely.

I seem to be making progress under this latest iteration of Synthroid. I can handle more work load, more intensity without paying for it immediately and later in the day. I'm particularly please with the way my knee is responding to the deep squats, and driving with my legs as opposed to pulling with my back on Deadlifts. These past two + years, my knee would blow up like a balloon and stay that way for a few days, but now I can get into positions that I haven't been able to due to pain and swelling. The change in the arthritic condition is the most noticeable improvement with this new medication.

Additionally, the problem with my finger on my left hand has improved as well. Again, what ever arthritic condition that had settle into my hand seems to be gone. I'm glad this has resolved itself, as it was making Deadlifting a real pain.

And that's the state of the Union at the end of week three...

I am glad to hear things are progressing well for you! I am finding out meds can sometimes make or break you so I understand. Great work! I would love to get my squats up closer to yours before I get too old to do it!

starting strength coach development program
    great news!