Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 2751

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    8/27/22

2nd Cycle - Week Four reps/sets

Squat -
    Paused Single at 125kg (got pinned at 132.5kg; down sets at 100kg 6*3; Sissy Squats with a grey band 20*3. Some upper body assistance work and the normal single leg routine. Wow...I haven't missed at 1322.5kg in...hell, I don't know...forever. Today was one of the no energy / no "pop" days. I really want to put these type of days behind me, but I can see it's gonna be a long slog back to some semblance of my old self.

Bench -
    Paused Larsen singles at 81/84kg; T&G at 76kg 6*3; 1 Board singles at 66/76/81/86/91kg; 3 Count at 68kg 5*3. Single arm dumbbell Benchwork, and the normal "blow up the arms" bi's and tri's extravaganza. Hard to believe that just last cycle I was able to handle mid 90kgs with no problem.
    Well, at least we're still showing up...

Deadlift -
    Paused Singles at 182.5/192.5kg; down sets at 160kg 6*2; tempo Down RDLs at 140kg 7*2. Assistance work featuring Tempo Down Close Grip Bench at 67.5kg 7*3; some shoulder/back work, and single leg sets. A better day energy wise, but 192.5kg was hard enough that another rep would have been all I had left in me...***shakes head sadly***.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused SSB at 95kg 5*3; 2 Count Larsen at 70kg 6*3; Big Wheel Pulls at 183kg 2*3. Assistance work was Belt Squats, Flys and Rev Flys, Hi Rows and Dumbbell Press...no single leg work today. I was a little tired so I dialed back the weight on everything but the BWPs. To make up for that, i added an extra set to each exercise. And that's the end of this cycle...

Amazingly enough, I went out and spent two hours on the range, going through a large bucket of balls...in the same day where I spent 2-3 hours in the gym. I must be feeling somewhat better. I couldn't have done that earlier in the summer. My knee, while it's sore (rotational movements are no bueno), handled the Squats and Pulls and a large bucket of balls pretty well.

I've had some input from other folks who have had thyroid issues, and it seems that until you get to the proper dosage, one will have as many bad days as good days. Color me excited...

Still, I'm gonna keep showing up: in the gym and on the range. All troubles aside, I still enjoy the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Well, at least we're still showing up...
    Exactly that! Keep at it, Browndog. You'll get it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Exactly that! Keep at it, Browndog. You'll get it sorted.
    Appreciate the support...

9/3/22

Cycle Three / Week One reps/sets

Squat -
    Paused Low Bar singles at 102.5kg; down sets at 97.5kg 4*3; Tempo Down Belt Squats at 100lbs 10*3. Successories consisted of 1 Arm sets and Single Leg sets.
    This cycle is something new, we're starting at RPE 4 and working our way up to an RPE of 9 in week four. Additionally, I'm playing around with my stance, mainly for shits and giggles, but it actually feels pretty good at the moment...much more fluid.

Bench -
    Tempo Down Larsen singles at 70/75kg; T&G at 67.5kg 7*2; 5 Count Spoto at 57.5kg 7*2. Successories Dumbbell Bench, and blowing up the arms.
    Again, this weeks sets are at RPE 4, and I think I'm pretty on point as far as that goes. Once again, I'm playing around with my grip width (Shits & Giggles), so all Bench sets are being done with a close grip. Normally close grip makes my right shoulder cranky, but I had no issues during or after the session.

Deadlift -
    Paused Deadlift singles at 150/160kg; down sets at 150kg 4*3. Temp Down, 3 Count Paused Bench at 70kg 1*4. Successories consisted of Flys and Cable Mid Rows, as well as single leg sets featuring 30 second holds. Not fooling around with anything here. just focusing on putting my knees in the right position, and getting a better back extension.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Pause SSB 92.5kg 6*2; Larsen Bench at 62.5 8*3; Big Wheel Pulls at 168kg 1*3. Lots of successories: Flys, Revs Flys; Cable Hi Rows; Shoulder Cluster; single leg holds.
    I hit some golf balls yesterday and my knee was cranky then, today was uncomfortable as well...grrrr.
    Session RPE was 5, and again I think I was spot on.

This week was actually a lot of fun, got to work on some technique issues, and do a little hypertrophy work as well.

We're four weeks into the new prescription, and I'll run out in two more. In that sixth week I'm gonna push for the next set of blood work to be done. I'm better, but still not "right". I can handle more volume and more "movement", but intensity is still an issue.
    I'm waking up earlier and not feeling like the walking dead, but I still run out of gas at some point in the day. So we're still a work in progress...

Have a happy Labor Day weekend all y'all.
    Last edited by Browndog; 09-03-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Happy Labor Day. Thing is since I'm retired I don't look forward to holidays much I was with a guy 90yo this week. He retired from the PD in 1984. He said he likes being retired but misses being off on weekends.

LOL...

lol that is an interesting perspective!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Happy Labor Day. Thing is since I'm retired I don't look forward to holidays much I was with a guy 90yo this week. He retired from the PD in 1984. He said he likes being retired but misses being off on weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    LOL...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    lol that is an interesting perspective!
    I can see that...

9/10/22

3rd Cycle / Week Two - rep/sets

Squat -
    Paused Low Bar singles at 100/110kg; LBS 100kg 4*3; Temp Down Belt Squats 140lbs 10*3. Some single arm rows and pulldowns, along with single leg holds.
    Reasonably good Squats for having a cranky knee.

Bench -
    Temp Down Larsen singles at 70/77.5kg; T&G at 70kg 4*3; single arm Temp Down Incline Bench at 45lbs 7*3. Blowed up the arms as is required on Bench day.
    Still performing all the Bench work with a close grip.

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 157.5/167.5kg; Deads at 152.5kg 4*3
    Tempo Down 3 Count Paused Bench at 72.5kg 1*4. Dumbbell Hip Thrust at 100lbs 10*3, some upper back work, along with single leg holds (switched out the Banded hamstring curls for the glute/ham roller to hit the hammy's).
    Today I actually felt like my old self, lot's of "pop" in the pulls.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Paused SSB at 95kg 6*2; Larsen Bench at 67kg 8*3; Big Wheel Pulls at 173kg 1*3; Double Rack Goblet Squats at 36kg 10*3. Lot's of shoulder and upper back successories.

Got up at the ass crack of dawn (for me) to get this session in, before heading over to Rochester to watch a trio of strong young men compete in the early afternoon. I'm still fishing for words to descibe the effort and results these kids put up this afternoon. Titanic efforts to complete 3rd attempt Squats, 3rd Attempt Benches that looked like openers, 2nd attempt Deads to qualify for Nationals and NY Primetime...and a 3rd attempt of 320kg at a bodyweight of 109.1kg to claim the Mustache Gym record. I've never seen as many of our men put up such a magnificent performance...I'm so proud of them.

Hell, I'm even claiming a PR today: I trained, drove an hour and a half both ways, spent 4 1/2 hours cheering my damn fool head off, and I'm still going strong. I haven't been able to put in a full day like this in years. Not to get top far out over my skis, but I think the Thyroid medication is working...finally.

This next week the RPE steps up to 7, and it should be a reasonably good indicator as to whether I am on the road back. I sure hope so...

starting strength coach development program
    9/17/22

3rd Cycle / Week Three reps/sets

Squat - Tempo Pause singles at 110/117.5kg; Low Bar at 105kg 4*3; Tempo Down Belt Squats at 160lbs 10*3. Single arm successories, and single leg sets.
    Squats felt great, and still beltless

Bench - Tempo Pause Larsen singles at 75/80kg; T&G at 73kg 4*3; 5 Count Spoto at 61kg 7*2. Successories were Tempo Down single arm Incline bench dumbbell sets, and lots of Bi's and Tri's...my arms are starting to show the work being put in.
    Finished this session in the blink of an eye. Everything moved really well, and fast too.

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 170/180kg; down sets at 160kg 4*3. Tempo Down 3 Count Bench sets at 75kg 1*4. Some dumbbell Hip Thrust, Flys and Rows, along with regular single leg work, add is some Dead Bugs and Copenhagen Plank Hip Dips.
    Lot's of "pop" in the legs today. I really pushed the weights up from previous sessions, but everything still felt like an RPE 6, as opposed to the RPE 7 that was called for.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Pause SSB sets at 97.5kg 6*3, Larsen Bench sets at 67kg 8*3, Big Wheel Pull singles at 183kg *3. Successories featured Double Rack Goblet Squats at 40kg 10*3, a shit load of shoulder work.
    Still fiddling around with my Squat Stance. It appears that my left tibia is just a bit longer then my right, so I used a 1.25kg plate as a shim for my right foot. I felt a difference, but I need to play with it a bit more before I commit to shimming my shoe. Bench moved lightening fast. BWP continue to feel strong. Those 2X Racked Goblet Squats are of the devil...damn CrossFit shit. Blowing up the shoulders to follow-up the gun show of Thursday.

This was the first week since 2019 where I felt "normal" all four days. I'm pretty sure the thyroid medication is having an effect. I tried to push the PCP to move up the next round of blood tests...but no dice, I'll have to wait until October.

Additionally, I felt good enough to accept an invitation to play a full 18 holes of golf on Tuesday. I haven't been able to complete a full round since 2019...by the 15th hole my legs have been crapping out, so I've been constrained to playing 9 hole rounds...which I fucking hate.
    Anyway, I made it through all 18 holes in fine style, though it was in a cart. Back before everything went south, I was able to play and carry my bag for 36 holes...so while I'm better, I'm not fully back to where I feel I should be.

All that said, it does appear that we're on the right track, so YAY!

Looking forward to Week Four...