Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 2742

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Where you been hiding BD?

4/6/23

End of 2nd Cycle

As was the first cycle, this one has been another step forward towards a degree of normalcy I haven't experienced since 2019.

Squat:

Safety Bar work on Mondays, Low Bar work on SBD Saturdays. Finished the SSB block with 3 sets of 5 @ 125kg with lots more in the tank. Haven't seen that type on volume, at that weight for years. What I really like is the fact that depth is not an issue these days. My hips and knee are cooperating. I'm doing a bit more pre-hab for my knee, and it seems to be paying off. SBD Saturdays are Low Bar doubles...program calls for two sets, I throw in an extra just because I'm feeling good.

Bench:

There isn't a day where I'm not benching. Larsen Bench; Paused Larsen Bench; Paused Close Grip Bench; Paused Bench. The Paused work is either on a 4 or 5 Count. Ended the Larsen block with 3 sets of 6 @ 79kg...with lots more in the tank. Ran out of gas today on the 5 Count sets of 6 @76kg, not enough food intake to carry me through the session. First sets I've missed all month. I do believe that we're making progress here. This next cycle will be more definitive as to whether 100kg falls before we start training for Raw Natls. I've tinkered with my head position, allowing it to rise as the bar comes down to the chest...feels much stronger. Since it's now allowed in competition, I'm staying with this change until it doesn't work.

Deadlift:

Pulling with Big Wheels for my top sets, followed up with normal Deads...with chains (West Siiiiide baby). SBD Saturdays are normal pulls for doubles...2-3 sets.
    Finished the block today with BWPs at 175kg, 3 sets of 6...and they weren't hard; Pulls w/chains were done at 150kg (+ 20kg of chain) 3*3...again really easy. My back and knee are handling all this just fine. In fact, I finally feel like I can be a bit more explosive off the floor...haven't been able to do that since 2019.

What's really encouraging is the fact that I contracted some dread virus (not the Coof), and it hit me hard halfway through week three, had to cut the Thursday session short, and then was off my feet till this last Monday. I hit all my numbers this week four, still being somewhat compromised by this plague. If I can do all this work, and do it under duress, I'm really looking forward to what I can do in this next cycle.

So, I think my coach has us doing two more building blocks, before we go into a three month prep for Raw Natls. If my knee continues to cooperate, and I can maintain this momentum, I see some PRs in my future.

Gym's holding a meet Saturday, and I'm back on the microphone...as long as I'm not coughing my lungs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    If I can do all this work, and do it under duress, I'm really looking forward to what I can do in this next cycle.
    Us too, BD.

Keep at it!

Nice work and even better news!

5/6/23

End of3rd Cycle...Reps/Sets

Squat -
    Safety Bar work on Mondays, Low Bar Singles on Saturday. Finished the block with 3*3 at 135kg, and it felt really strong. Saturday Singles ended up at 150kg to depth... a little slow past the sticking point, but I'm happy with how the weight felt on my back. My ability to handle higher weights for sets and reps continues. I'm also pleased to report that depth is consistently there on all my reps and sets. The pre-hab work on my left knee continues to pay dividends. I'd like to be able to say I'll be putting my knee issues behind me, but I fear that at some point in time I'll be looking at a replacement.

Bench -
    All sorts of Paused work M-W-T, Competition Singles on Saturday. Lot's of shoulder, chest and back successories all week long too. Ended the block hitting Larsen Bench 4*3 at 84kg with lots left in the tank. Saturday Singles have progressed nicely over the block, hit 97.5kg last Saturday. Took a run at 100kg (PR attempt) today, and just missed it. The bar felt good in my hands, down to the chest, off the chest...I just lost concentration in the last quarter of the press out, and let the bar path get away from me.

Deadlift -
    Big Wheel Pulls, and banded Pulls at regulation height on Thursdays, Competition Singles on Saturday. Ended the block with the BWPs 4*2 at 188kg, and the Banded Pulls 4*4 at 150kg. Competition Pulls on Saturday went smoothly last Saturday, pulling 190 / 200kg with a couple of more in the tank at 200kg....slow, but there. Today was a completely different story, I was experiencing some intestinal distress during the session, and it finally caught up to me by the time I started pulling. I couldn't break 185kg off the ground...I had left the better part of me in the bathroom. Shit happens...(probably cost me the Bench attempt as well).

A little disappointed that I ended the block on a down note today. It would have been nice to put up a 450/460kg Total to end the block, but the intestinal issues took the sails out of my wind...

That said, the progress during the week is heartening. Today's disappointment at coming up short will fade over the hours this weekend.

All signed up for Raw Natls. Made it under the wire the day that the USAPL closed registration. What a clusterfuck that was...
    I'm registered as a 100kg lifter, with the idea of dropping to the 90kg class if I can't keep my weight up above 207lbs as we get closer to September.

My weight has been pretty constant at 205 / 207lbs, though it did drop in front of the February meet...inexplicably. Thyroid issues seem to be under control ***knocks wood***. 6 month Cancer check-up in a couple of weeks...who knows....***knocks wood again***. These 6 month intervals play with your mind, and not in a good way. If my weight, strength and energy are stable, I like to think I'm "OK"...but like I said "who knows". I live my life as if I'm OK...fuck cancer.

I think we start meet prep this next cycle. I'll know more tomorrow when I see the latest program hit my email.
    Last edited by Browndog; 05-06-2023 at 12:29 PM.

5/13/23

Memphis Prep - reps/sets

Once again, into the critical training blocks for this year's Raw Nationals. I'm entered as a 100kg lifter, but if my weight doesn't lock in around 210lbs by August, I'll probably let it drop, and go into the 90s.

Also, seeing as I'm 68 (really hard to wrap my head around that one), we're using these last two years as a RM3 to position us for a run at being a competitive RM4 lifter. This assumes that my health doesn't take a for the worse. But even if it does, I'll still keep training, we'll simply re-adjust our goals.

Anyway, back to weekly reports:

This block ramps up in intensity RPEs of 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 from one week to the next. Heavyish Single, followed by 1-3 sets of 7, buttressed with appropriate successories. It's a lot of work, not gonna lie. We happen to believe that for me to make progress, there has to be as much volume as I can handle. Focusing on intensity alone doesn't drive results based on all the years of programming my coach has reviewed.

Squat -
    Low Bar Singles at 120 / 130kg, three sets of 7 @ 100kg. Paused Close Grip Larsen Bench @ 70kg 3*3. Upper body successories, and one lower body exercise.
    Singles were easy, the sets of seven were more of a mental thing...I hate coming into a new block of volume, after a block of lower rep work.

Bench -
    Paused Singles @ 82.5 / 87.5kg. Touch and Go Bench, three sets of 7 @ 67.5kg. Larsen Bench, three sets of 6 @ 62.5kg. Some chest exercises, and then gunshow - blowing up the Bis and Tris.
    Easy Singles, the volume work wasn't as obnoxious as Squat day.

Deadlift -
    Singles @ 172.5 / 182.5kg, three sets of 7 @ 145kg. Count Tempo Down / 5 Count Pause Bench singles @ 70kg. Upper back work for the successories.
    Singles from a normal starting position were OK. I was a little nervous about the 7s, but the bar flew...go figure. I was tired by the end of the day, I will say that.
    Additionally, I was really toasty the next day ( Friday ), made it hard to swing a golf club.

SBD Saturday -
    Extremely light weight work...RPE 4, Saturday's are recovery days...
    Tempo Down Paused Squats, four reps @ 90 / 100kg. 2 Count Paused Bench @ 80kg, three sets of two. Big Wheel Pulls @ 153kg for 2 sets of four. Lots of light weight upper body successories.
    I really nailed the Tempo sets...speed: Glacial. Good Bench sets. Had to go to straps for the BWPs, my hands / forearms were a little tired from Thursday's session. Interestingly, these pulls were probably my best technically. Putting on straps forces me to a really tight setup...aka I'm lazy setting up on strapless pulls. Anyway, I could feel the floor being pushed away, as opposed to pulling with my back.

So, a week of acclimatization to volume. Next week should be easier mentally...fingers crossed.

5/21/20

Memphis Prep - rep/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 130 / 137.5kg, three sets of 7 at 107.5kg. Close Grip Larsen, three sets of three a3 73kg.Pulldowns, Flys, Single Leg BSS for successories.
    Singles were strong, and done without spotters, The 7s started high, but got better on the last two sets.

Bench -
    Paused Singles at 85.5 / 90.5kg. T&G, three sets of 7 at 70.5kg. Larsen, 3 sets of 6 at 65.5kg. Bi and Tri work, along with Flys for successories.
    Really strong session.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 180 / 190kg, three sets of 7 at 150kg. 5 Count Tempo Down / 5 Count Paused Bench singles at 72.5 /75 /77.5kg.
    Quick session due to a scheduled road trip out of town. Strong singles, really strong down sets.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Down Paused Squat sets of 4 at 210lbs / 230lbs. 2 Count Paused Bench, three sets of 2 at 185lbs. Block Pulls, two sets of 4 at 350lbs. Flys, Shoulder work, Dips, and Mid Row for successories.
    Yes, you read that right...POUNDS. Took a trip back to my home town for a high school 50th reunion. I was able to gain access to their athletic facilities, and get my training done while on the road. Only issue was using the plates in Freedom Units...I screwed up the math bigly while progressing the Bench. What I thought was 145lbs, ended up being 185lbs...and I was wondering why the "warm-up" felt so heavy...because it was! I'm a dummy...
    Anyway it was fun to be back where I went to school to see how far they've come from the days of having just a Universal Gym down in the Wrestling Room. The gear they have now is D1 level equipment.

On a separate note, I went in for my 6 month cancer check up on Wednesday. I am fortunate that my PSA numbers have gone back down to "negligible", after jumping up at the previous check up...I was very concerned coming into this check up. Another increase in the number meant there would be problems ahead, and a shorter timeline. The relief manifested itself with the strong Bench day, and the strong Deadlift day.

This week should be interesting, I'm working on short sleep, not enough food, and too much booze. Ah well, it was all for a good cause. I'll take what my body will give me this week...gladly!

5/27/23

Memphis Prep - reps/sets

Squat -
    Tired singles at 130 / 10kg, tired down sets at 110kg 7*3. Close Grip Larsen Bench at 76kg 3*3. Upper back work, along with some single leg BSS.
    Yeah, that trip to Cleveland took the edge off today's training. Not only that, but I've lost close to 6 pounds as well.

Bench -
    Paused singles at 87.5 / 93.5kg. T&G sets at 73.5kg 7*3. Larsen sets at 68.5kg 6*3. Flys, Dips, Curls, Tri Extensions = gunshow.
    For having dropped all that weight over the weekend, today was an ok session.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 185 / 197.5kg, down sets at 160kg 7*3. 5 Count Tempo Down / 5 Count Pause Bench at 75 / 77.5 / 80kg *1. Some Rows and Flys to round out the session.
    Good singles, would like to be a little more explosive, but you take what the day gives you. The down sets surprised me. I thought I was gonna get stuck at one, maybe two sets...nope...and that 2nd set was done from a dead stop too.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Down / Pause Squats at 100 / 110kg *4. 2 Count Paused Bench sets at 85 / 87.5kg *2. Big Wheel Pulls at 173kg 4*2. Fys, Mid Rows, Dips and Curls for successories.
    Squats were short, Bench was strong, BWPs were OK, but a little sticky off the floor.

My knee is back to being a pain in the ass again...I swear. Played 18 holes on Tuesday, rode in a cart, was able to play the full 18...YAY ME. My knee however, was balky, incredibly stiff, and all together not where I need it to be to be a functional human being.

I'll continue to train, and play golf, and hope that things improve. Should my knee continue to be this shitty, I'm gonna have to have it replaced. It's been three years of off and on, mostly off, and in a slow but noticeable decline in strength and stability. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, and talking with all the people I know who've had a knee replaced. No one's a powerlifter, they're all Tennis / Squash players, or Golfers. I'm in uncharted territory, and it's unnerving.

Here's to a peaceful, respectful Memorial Day holiday...

6/1/23

Memphis Prep m1 / w4 reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 137.5 / 145kg, down set(s) at 112.5kg *2, *7. Close Grip Larsen Bench sets at 80kg 3*3. Pulldowns, Revs Fly, BSS for successories.
    A very hard session. My legs were DOA. Too much golf, too much heat... I had told my coach I was done at 137.5kg, but I rallied enough to take a run at 145kg...it was high, but at least I put the bar on my back. The down sets were even harder to get done. I bailed after 2 reps at 112.5kg...my knees were screaming at me. I was in the midst of an existential moment of doubt, when I looked across the room at a 12 y/o who, after having been sternly talked to by his dad, got under the bar and ripped off a flawless set of 8 at 90kg. I put my big boy pants on and tackled a set of 7 at 112.5kg...it was hard, it was slow, but I got every rep in, and I was damn proud of it too. My knees and lower legs are absolute toast at the moment. Today reminded me that I am in fact, 68 y/o...not 18 y/o. Oh, and my weight is melting off due to the heat and golf...I'm down to 200lbs.

Bench -
    Singles at 87.5 / 93.5 / 100kg...100kg boys and girls ***PR***, down sets at 77.5kg 7*2, Larsen sets at 72.5kg 6*2. Flys, Bi's and Tri's for successories.
    So after many attempts over the years at 100kg, I finally got it. Touch and Go, with a little daylight under my ass (enough for a red light)...but it went up. I didn't panic on the chest, didn't freak out at the sticking point, and locked it out pretty easily once through transition. Really pleased...very happy...extremely grateful to be able to hit this milestone.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 190 / 205kg, down set at 170 for 7 (dead stop to boot). 5 Count Tempo Down / 5 Count Paused Bench at 77.5 / 80 / 82.5kg. Some rows and flys for successories, along with some light single leg work.
    190 was butter. 205 got away from my legs, and was not as much fun. The Bench was delightful...imagine me saying that?!?!

No SBD Saturday as the gym is hosting another USAPL event. As is the convention, I am on the mike for the live stream.

Golf tomorrow, and Sunday. I'm just gonna have to accept that if I'm spending energy outside the gym, my Squats are gonna suffer come week(s) 3 / 4. Because it's Golf, it's a price I'm willing to pay.

New Training block starts on Monday.

starting strength coach development program
    Congrats on the PR Chas I know it has been a long time coming!!