Page 267 of 275 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 2742

Thread: Still on the Right Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    PRs are great...and good PSAs are even MORE BETTERER

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Congrats on the PR Chas I know it has been a long time coming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    PRs are great...and good PSAs are even MORE BETTERER
    Thank you gentlemen...

6/10/23

Memphis Prep - m2 / w1 reps/ses

Squat -
    Low Bar singles at 125 / 132.5kg, down sets at 102.5kg 5*3. Close Grip Bench at 72.5kg 7*3. Lunges, Rows, Planks, Piulldowns for successories.
    The current bout of kneebola is a pain in the keester (as well as the knee). I've lost knee extensibility and ankle dorsiflexion, and that appears to be the cause of the issues in the soft tissue below, and to the outside of the knee.

Bench -
    Paused singles at 85 / 90kg, T&G sets at 72.5kg 5*3, Paused Close Grip sets at 70/2.5/5/77.5kg *3. Cable Flys, Tri's and Bi's for successories.
    I was having issues unracking the bar. Turns out I had it set at Close Grip Height all damn day...made things harder than they needed to be. But even with the handicap of a bad rack height, the bar moved well on all the sets.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 175 / 185kg, down sets at 150kg 5*3. 5 Count Close Grip Bench sets at 70kg 4*3. Rows, Pulldowns, Dead Bugs for successories.
    185kg was a little slow for my liking, but the down sets were fire. Killing the bench work at the moment. These Pauses will pay big dividends come September.

SBD Saturday -
    Pause Squats at 70 / 80 / 90kg *7. 3 Count Tempo Down / 3 Count Paused Close Grip Bench sets at 77.5 / 80 / 82.5 / 85 *1. Big Wheel Pulls at 163 / 173 / 183kg *3. And that was that because...a few of us went out to play 18 holes immediately after lifting. Madness??? Perhaps, but we played pretty solid golf. Ran a little low on energy at the turn, but the cart girl showed up by the 12th hole, and with proper hydration, any major damage to the scorecard was averted.

Knees felt good in the Squats today, I appreciated that. Bench was strong. Pulls were appropriately loaded. Squats were at recovery numbers. Bench was loaded up to RPE8. Pulls were loaded up to RPE8 as well. Push during the week, work on movement patterns on the weekend.

Weight is still an issue. I'm back to 204/205lbs, but I've had to eat a little dirty to add pounds back on. An extra protein shake with Ice Cream in the evening, and the odd Peanut Butter sandwich during the day. Probably adds up to an extra 700 calories or so. Did I mention I hate to eat...'cause I really do.

6/17/23

Memphis Prep - m2 / w2 reps / sets

Squat -
    Low Bar singles at 130 / 140kg, down sets at 105kg 5*3. Close Grip Bench 75kg 7*3. Wide Grip Row 110lbs 12*3, Wide Grip Pulldown 120lbs 12*3.
    This was a morning session, as I was going on a road trip later in the day. Pretty good singles...a little high, but for having put my foot to the floor over the weekend, I'm good with them. Knee felt good...amazingly.

Bench -
    Paused singles at 87.5kg / 92.5kg. T&G sets at 75kg 5*3. Paused Close Grip sets at 71 / 3.5 / 6 / 78.5 / 78.5kg *3. Flys, Tri's and Bi's for successories.
    The single at 92.5kg was really strong: good pause, fast off the chest, didn't lose too much speed to lockout...surprised my coach who was spotting me. Bench continues to be a bright spot in training.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 170 / 190kg, down sets at 160kg 5*3. 5 Count Close Grip Bench sets at 72.5kg 4*3. Kroc Rows and Pulldowns for successories.
    Singles were strong, down sets were fast, Bench was delightful.
    I think we're making progress with rebuilding my Pull, these next two weeks will be a better indicator of where we are...but I feel as good over the bar as I have in a good long while.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused Squats at 80 / 90 / 100kg *7. 3 Count Tempo Down / 3 Count Paused Bench singles at 80 / 2.5 / 5 / 87.5kg. Big Wheel Pulls at 168 / 178 / 188kg *3.
    Squats were cardio, but felt great. I continue to look forward to these bench variations. The Pulls were surprisingly hard at 168kg...but the following sets moved really fast...go figure.

Saving the successories for tomorrow.

My knee is off and on OK / SHITTY. Monday Squats were fine on my knee. Golf on Tuesday was painful, and I felt like a cripple trying to walk to and fro...not to mention swinging the club, but I played my best round of the season...again, go figure. Bench the next day was good, and I could engage leg drive. Pulls on Thursday weren't effected by my knee. Today's session felt great, but walking around a few hours after training was an effort. This is my life now...every day is a crap shoot as to whether my knee is going to be an issue.

6/24/23

Memphis Prep - m2 / w3 reps / sets

Squat -
    Singles at 140 / 147.5kg, down sets at 107.5kg 5*3. Close Grip Bench sets at 77.5kg 7*3. Pulldowns and Rows for successories.
    My knee was being uncooperative today. Squats were high due to that issue. I need more exposure to "heavier" weights...which I'll be getting over the next 12 weeks. The Bench sets were strong.

Bench -
    Paused Singles at 91 / 96kg, down sets at 77.5kg T&G, Close Grip triples at 72.5/5/57.5/80/80kg. Gunshow work for successories: Bi's and Tri's.
    Coach hit me with a requirement to do the top Single with commands...I accepted the challenge...and would have gotten White Lights all around, nyah!!!

Deadlift -
    Top Singles at 190 / 200kg, down sets at 170kg 5*2. 5 Count Close Grip Bench sets at 75kg 4*3. Kroc Rows, and Pulldowns for successories.
    Surprised myself today. The warm up sets at 70kg felt awfully heavy. Somehow we got to 190kg, and that moved OK, so we went to 200kg...not bad, bot bad.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused Squats at 85 / 95 / 105kg *7. 3 Count Tempo Down / 3 Count Paused Bench Singles at 82.5/5/7.5/90kg. Big Wheel Pulls on Blocks at 178 / 188 / 198kg *3.
    Squats were the antithesis of Monday's session: pain free...I though the depth was there, but alas, it was not. Swear to Dog I thought I felt all the landmarks for depth. At least they moved nicely, and felt good. I've been catastrophizing about my Squat recently, and it was nice to be able to move comfortably under the bar for once.

Bench singles were really good. This Close Grip, Tempo / Paused work is really paying dividends in terms of strength and confidence with the bar in hand / on the chest / off the chest. I don't think 90kg has ever moved so easily...even Touch and Go.

My back was a little toasty from Thursday's Deadlift session, so I put a couple of short boards under the Big Wheels today. The set up had me still well below the knee, so the range of motion was enough to get some work in, without frying my lower back too much.

I've been feeling a little run down these past few weeks, which I attributed to the ramped up training regimen. I was due for another round of blood test, so I pushed the schedule up by a month and got in to have the work done early. Turns out my Thyroid is a little out of whack again. I actually have to "see" the doctor to get things addressed...and that won't happen till md July. I let my coach know that things are screwy again, and I expect that he'll address the programming at the end of this cycle next week.

Looking back to 2019...that was a unicorn of a training year. Good health (even with the Cancer diagnosis), injury free progress, and an ability to handle really rigorous training cycles from February right though Raw Natls in Chicago the following October. I may experience that again...But I'm all the more appreciative for having had that experience.

7/1/23

Memphis Prep - m2 / w4 rep/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 140 /150kg, down sets at 110kg 5*3. Close Grip Bench sets at 80kg 7*3. Pulldowns and Rows for successories.
    Went with a conservative bump to 150kg...or you could say I was mentally weak..it should have been 155kg, but I just couldn't see it in my mind's eye. Strong Bench work...so I've got that going for me.

Bench -
    Singles at 92.5 / 98.5kg, T&G sets at 80kg 5*3, Close Grip triples at 75 / 7.5 / 80 / 2.5 / 2.5. Cable Flys, Tri's and Bi's for successories.
    Coach wanted me to be conservative with choosing the 2nd single. He's all about building confidence right now, regardless of how "strong" I may be feeling. He wants to see successful competition attempts. So I picked 98.5kg...which just happened to be the number he was thinking of as well. Nice to know we're on the same page. Strong session...once again.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 195 / 207.5kg, down set at 180kg *5. 5 Count Close Grip Bench sets at 77.5kg 4*3. Kroc Rows and Pulldowns for successories.
    I had one of those nights prior to a Deadlift session: OMG...I'll never pull 195, no less 207.5kg.
    Why does one's brain do that...207.5kg was not hard. Probably the best pull I've done outside of a competition. More good Bench training.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused Squats at 90 / 100 / 110 *7. 3 Count Temp Down / 3 Count Paused Bench singles at 85 / 7.5 / 90 / 92.5kg. 2 Board Big Wheel Pulls, triples at 183 / 193 / 203kg.
    Squats felt great, depth was on point...110kg felt like cardio, but as good a set as I've put in in a long time.
    Bench felt" heavy" to get started, but I went through the progression without a hitch. 92.5kg would be one of those off the wall PR's.
    I continued to use a couple of boards with the Big Wheels for today's session. Very happy with the way I pulled that set at 203kg...oh hell, I'm happy with the way I pulled all the sets.

This was a very successful cycle. Good intensity, good volume, programming allowed the right amount of flexibility...especially on the volume work. The program was written to allow me to pick the number of down sets within each session...anywhere from 1 to 3 sets. I went the first two weeks doing 3 down sets, 2 down sets the 3rd week, and did one set week 4...allowing myself to do more if I wanted, but knowing that one set would be just fine given the weight on the bar.

I'm appreciative of the man upstairs granting me the opportunity to get this type of work in. It was nice to finish without my knee(s) barking at me, and not feeling beat up physically and mentally. Given where I am, with the health issues that have plagued me over the past few years, I'm always grateful to be able to take this magnificent machine out for a spin and have it perform to expectations, and I let him know every night in my prayers.

Two more full cycles to run before Raw Natls. We're right where we wanted to be at this point in the run-up. Let's do this...

kick ass and take no prisoners BD!

The strong work continues. Thanks for taking us along on the ride, BD.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    kick ass and take no prisoners BD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    The strong work continues. Thanks for taking us along on the ride, BD.

Keep at it!
    Appreciate the support...

starting strength coach development program
    7/9/23

Memphis Prep - m3 / w1 reps/sets

This 3rd Cycle starts light and ramps up with larger jumps than is the norm:

Squat - Singles at 122.5kg to 152.5kg, jumping by 10kg's each week. Triples for down sets. Close Grip Temp Down / Paused Bench. Rows, Flys and Split Squats for successories.

Bench - Singles at 90kg to 100kg...get there anyway I want. T&G triples and Close Grip 8's for down sets. Slow eccentric Tri work and single arm Cable Chest Press for successories...I throw in some slow eccentric Hammer Curls for vanity.

Deadlift - Singles at 175 to 212.5kg, jumping by 12.5kg each week. Triples for down sets. Larsen 4 count tempo down / 3 count pause doubles. Rows and Pulldowns for successories.

SBD Saturday - Paused Squats 5*3, at rpe7 (off Monday's top single); Close Grip Spoto w/3 Count Pause 6*2, at rpe7 (off Wednesday's top single); Rack Pulls / BWP 2*2, at rpe 7 (off Thursday's top single).

Started this week a little fatigued, but recovered by Thursday. It was hot as balls through Thursday as well.

We held a Ladies only, USAPL event today. 28 lifters, all age groups represented, with a goodly number of rookies in the field. Of note were two younger Open competitors who put up the following:

128.2kg - 9 for 9 - S 250kg / B 102.5kg / D 205kg Total: 557.5kg This young lass will make a run at a 600lbs Squat at Raw Natls, might Bench 107.5kg, and should hit a Deadlift of 215kg. SHE'S AS NICE AS THE DAY IS LONG TO BOOT!

122kg - 9 for 9 - S 220kg / B 112.5kg / D 235kg Total: 567.5kg OMG this is this girls 2nd meet...EVER. Squat has lot's of room to grow; Bench, while strong needs a lot of work...which is frightening to think of what she'll put up with good technique; her Deadlift is a smoke show...she could have easily put 245kg on the bar and made the lift. She legitimately could have a 600kg TOTAL within the next year. I find out that she's just signed on with my coach. Welcome to the team young lady.

I cannot wait to see where these two women take each other's numbers. We have a lot of strong light weight women in our program. It's exciting to have some strong heavy weights now as well.