starting strength gym
Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnsie's Log - Part II

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You need to get your feeding and resting and stress management in order. All the supplements won't make up for. Being stressed, underfed and under rested. At this point you need to take a week Deload and rest and eat, life is winning..don't let it.

You are undertaking g a difficult program for 40+ and to succeed you need to manage your recovery like an OCD trying to leave an oven factory.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 11-29-2013 at 08:46 PM.

I absolutely agree with you. I've been stacking off and trying hard now to get back on track. I'm very committed to training days and training hard, and I need to do the same with nutrition and rest. I've started to feel better with 2 days of rest, lots of food and better rest.

Of course I'd like to get a little leaner, but it's a dangerously fine line.

I'm not a huge fan of lots of supplements, as I rarely feel much of a difference. But I'm going to try a couple of new things and see if I will get even a marginal improvement.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last night I found out that the gym I'm considering switching to is holding weekly lifting classes.... Free. I figured that this would give me a good idea for their coaching ability, and also better let me evaluate the facility. So I went this morning, and the class was on front squats. It was an hour long, and I got a couple of tips, and a good feeling for the gym.

I worked up in sets of 5 from the empty bar to a couple of sets at 185. My last front squat day was at 260 for 3x3, and today's normal squat volume day would have been 315 for 5x5, so it was definitely a light day.

After some food and a nap, I went to my normal gym for the rest of my volume day.

Overhead Press
    167.5lbs 5x5
    I went by feel on this, and the warm up and first worked felt fine, so I did all 5 sets.

Dumbbell Rows
    100s 2x10
    90s 1x10
    These felt heavy today and we're bothering my left elbow, so I only did 3 sets.

Light cable delt raises
    Band face pulls
    Band pull aparts

Ah, the supplements I must have. Creatine, it has helped me increase my reps aiding in progress. Whey protein, it is a nice buffer for protein and I don't weigh and measure my meals I estimate. And cal mag zinc supplements. With an extra zinc tablet at night.

The best thing I do is get to bed by 9:15 on week nights, and sleep in and take naps whenever I can on weekends, even finding a place to close my eyes for half an hour even if I don't sleep helps.
    I pack a good breakfast and lunch for work. I start the day with a protein shake and after early morning meetings are done I eat half a dozen boiled eggs, instant oatmeal and an apple while I chase e mail and pay invoices. I eat a hearty lunch of usually the previous nights leftovers and at 3 I have a supplemental protein bar and a fruit if I need it( squat days)This is every work day. I have found times when I can squirrel in food. I am not shy about taking a chicken or my eggs into a meeting if I need to eat. They get used to it.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 11-30-2013 at 07:18 PM.

I've been only using whey protein, creatine, a multi-vitamin and some fish oil. Oh, and a BCAA drink I use while I workout, mostly because it tastes better than water.

I tried a sample of some pre-workout that I liked (and had a great workout) - I found some on sale, and will give it a try. Same with a post-workout as well, which I found I felt better than normal. I'm also trying out some ZMA, to see if it helps me sleep any better, cause better sleep = better recovery. I found a BCAA powder on sale, which I'll use in between meals, and lastly d-Asparic acid, in an effort to boost test levels. This is quite a bit more supplementation than I'm used to, but I'll see how I feel and recover over then next couple of months on this stuff.

I regularly go and pick up a rotisserie chicken for lunch (I'll normally eat half per meal), with some salad at lunch, or rice with dinner. Bringing in a chicken to a meeting would be pretty interesting. That is dedication!

I normally plan my meals based on my workout times, as I like to have about 1.5 to 2 hrs to digest before lifting, then figure out what time I need to eat lunch. I don't feel good if I eat breakfast, so I try to start off the day with some whey protein, and then mid-morning I have a green smoothie to get some more vegetables in me (kale, cucumber, celery, apple, lemon, ginger, and I put my daily creatine in there as well). I find I do the best when I plan my meals ahead, and cook up lots for a few days. I have a stock pot of chili going now, but I'll have to use that for lunch, and get something else for dinner, so that I don't stink the gym up.

Sounds like you have your planning down

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post

I regularly go and pick up a rotisserie chicken for lunch (I'll normally eat half per meal), with some salad at lunch, or rice with dinner. Bringing in a chicken to a meeting would be pretty interesting. That is dedication!
    I will soon see if my annual performance rating is impacted !

I hope they don't schedule it during mealtime. Cause that could be entertaining.

Monday (Light Day)

I went in with the intention of trying to keep it light, and see how my body feels.

Squat
    225lbs x 2 x 5
    Since my legs have been really sore lately, I was extra conservative and kept the weight down today. Normal light day is 255 I believe.

Bench Press
    210lbs x 3 x 5
    Pauses on all 5 reps in the last set. No, I don't know why. It just felt right.

Close Grip Bench
    135lbs x 3 x 15

Power Cleans
    Warmed up with the bar, then 40 kg going up by 10 kg to my work set.
    80kg x 2 x 3, then a Rep and 2 fails. Not really feeling it today, so I decided not to push it.

Chin Ups
    X 5, 5, 4
    5 reps on the second set is an improvement.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday (Intensity)

Good session tonight.

Squat
    365lbs x 3

Press
    205lbs x 3 x 1
    Would have liked a double, but soon enough.

Deadlift (explosive)
    275lbs x 8 x 2 with 1 min rest
    (did 2 extra sets)

Snatch Grip Deadlift (blocks)
    225lbs x 3 x 12

DB lateral raises
    Band face pulls
    Band pull aparts

Today I received my new supplement shipment. So today I started with a pre-workout, a post-workout, continuing with my peri-workout as well (Jesus, that's a lot of workout drinks, which I never thought I'd do), d-asparic acid, BCAA powder for between meals, and ZMA for before bed. We'll see how it all works out.
    Last edited by Burnsie; 12-05-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast