starting strength gym
Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnsie's Log - Part II

Default Burnsie's Log - Part II

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Originally started SS back in Sept of 2010. In that time I had a two 3-month breaks, but I've been fairly consistent, and haven't missed a workout in 2013.

40yr old male, 5'10", 220-230lbs.

I got up the the following PR's/recent worksets on SS:

Squat 325lbs 3x5
    Bench 250lbs 3x5
    Deadlift 360lbs 1x5
    Press 172.5lbs 3x5
    Power cleans 81.5kg 5x3

I got my squat up to 315 (for 3x5) last summer, and even increasing it by 10lbs has been a struggle. I probably should have gone to intermediate programming months ago. I did start advanced novice programming in the fall, with a light squat day.

Being frustrated with the lack of progress on my deadlift, I started deadlifting twice a week back in January. After a month, if I got my 5 reps and felt good, I would try for a 1RM PR. Again, sometimes twice a week. My deadlift kept moving up, so I kept going with it. About a month ago, it started regressing, along with my squat, so likely due to overtraining. In the last few weeks I backed off on the deadlifts, and skipped them 2 weeks ago to recover. Last week went well, with a new 5RM PR.

Also started benching twice a week, and pressing once, trying to get my bench up. Now going back to alternating pressing and benching to keep balance.

Started TM last week for squats, and for bench/press this week.

This is what I've drawn up:

Tues (Vol day)
    Squat 5x5
    Bench/Press (alt) 5x5
    Rows (DB or BB)
    BB Curls

Thurs (Light day)
    Front squat 2x5
    Bench/Press (alt) 3x5
    Powercleans 5x3
    OHS 3x10

Sat (Intensity)
    Squat 1x5
    Bench/Press (alt) 1x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Tri press
    GHD 5x10

Sun
    Chin ups - maybe
    Last edited by Burnsie; 04-24-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Tuesday
    Squat (volume day) 275 for 5x5 (kept the weight the same as last week)
    Bench (volume day) 205 for 5x5 (easy - starting out a little light)
    DB Rows 4x10 starting with 90/85/80/70 (no 75's)

Surprisingly wiped from this. I feel more tired than when I was grinding out 325 for 3x5.

Also narrowing my bench grip. I've always favoured a really wide grip, but changing it up. Really felt the volume in my triceps afterwards.

Last Saturday I benched 245 for 3x5. I decided to start off volume day just under 85% of that weight and increase from there.

Thursday (Light Day)
    Front squat 210lbs 2x5 (first set was tough)
    Press 145lbs 3x5
    Powercleans 82.5kg 5x3 planned (3,2,1,3,3,3)
    OHS 40kg 3x10, with some pitiful snatch attempts

I'm simply not very good at front squats, and tonight was tough. I questioned whether it is a good decision to use these for light squat days, and whether to continue increasing (going up in 2.5lb increments each week). I won't get better at them without doing the lift though, so I probably won't go any higher than 225 for the time being.

For Light Day, Rip mentioned in the TNation article to use slightly less weight than you used for volume day, which I figure would have been 155 for 5x5, so I went with 145 on the press.

Powercleans have been pissing me off for the last 3 weeks now. Last set tonight was the best, but still not great. I finally used my camera on my phone to see how my technique looks. I need to do that more often.

Saturday (Intensity Day)
    Squat 320 x 5
    Bench 250 x 5 (barely)
    Deadlift 365 x 5 (PR), 405 x 1 (PR)
    BB Curls
    GHD 3 x 10

Squats went fairly well, looking forward to getting past my previous PR of 325 (for 3x5) - that is the most weight I've ever had on the bar. I barely got the last rep on bench, for a second I thought I could possibly get pinned under the bar and have to dump it. There was no one around at the time, hopefully next time I'll have a spotter.

Deadlift was absolutely huge for me. My previous PR, up until 2013, was 365 for a single, so repping it 5 times felt great, especially after struggling with this lift for so long. I tried for 405, as this has been a long time goal for me, and I got it. It wasn't the prettiest lift, but I got it. This is a major milestone for me. Previous deadlift PR was 390, which i did about a month ago, so a 15lb jump was fantastic. I won't be trying for a single PR for a while, and just sticking to the 5 reps.

I adjusted the height setting on the GHR to one notch higher, and it's much harder and hitting my hamstrings more. 3x10 was tough enough, so I'll take my time working back up to 5x10.

Tuesday
    Squat (volume) 275lbs 5x5
    Press (volume) 145lbs 5x5
    DB rows 4x10

The last couple of days have been extremely stressful, and it has sapped by energy level.

Squat felt ok. Not sure when I'm going to start increasing the weight on volume day. I had thought that I may wait until I hit 330 for 5 on Intensity day, which should be at the end of next week. That would keep me at or below 85% of ID for VD.

I decided to start the volume press day a little lower, and take a slight deload from LP. I had worked up to 172.5lbs for 3x5 a couple of weeks ago. I figure I will start ID at 165. Tonight's first set felt heavy. By the third sets I was pausing at the bottom just for the hell of it.

Thursday (Light Day)
    Front squat 212.5lbs 2x5
    Bench 205lbs 3x5
    GHD 2x6
    Lying Tri Press
    BB Curls

Front squats suck.

Not sure if I'm going too heavy for a "light" day on bench, but I really don't want to go any less than 205, probably my ego.

Due to some scheduling changes, for the next little while it looks like I'll be splitting up the light day somewhat, and doing cleans on a separate day.
    Last edited by Burnsie; 05-03-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Friday
    Powercleans 83kg 5x3 (actually 3,2,3,3,3,3)
    OHS 40kg 2x10

For the third or fourth week now, I'm struggling with the powercleans. I constantly have issues trying to get under the bar. For some reason I try to catch the bar standing up straight. So for the last couple of sets I was finally getting under the bar again, so I did another set.

Sunday (Intensity Day)
    Squat 325lbs x5
    Press 165lbs x7
    Deadlift 370lbs x5
    BB Curls 5x10
    Tri pressdowns 5x10
    GHD x10,8,8
    Back Extensions 3x10

Wednesday (Volume Day)
    Squats 280lbs 5x5
    Bench 210lbs 5x5, 135 x 20
    DB Rows 5x10 (90,90,85,85,85)

Tired today, and squats just felt off during the warm up and first couple of worksets.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday (Light Day)
    Front Squats 215lbs 2x5
    Press 145lbs 3x5
    Powercleans 83kg 3,2,3,2, gave up, 80kg x 1, 60kg x3
    OHS 40kg x3 (just didn't have the juice)

Glutes were a little sore on Thurdsay from volume. Powercleans today were a fucking disaster, and I gave up. Tired and sore, I called it a day. I will probably drop back down to 80kg next workout and see how that goes. If it's still a struggle, then right back down to 75 or even 70kg, and then days that form is good, will increase the weight.

I'm also wondering if the front squats are starting to effect my powercleans. At 215lbs, it isn't very much weight, but I suck at front squats, and it's a little tough.

I've been seriously considering switching one of my gyms (yes, I work out at 2 gyms, long story). Other gym is a little farther, a little costlier, but is better equipped for what I want to do. Also, I would have the option of getting some qualified instruction on cleans, which at this point, are frustrating the hell out of me. Current gym has 3 lifting platforms, but only 1 good oly bar, 2 decent thicker bars, and the rest are cheap bars. I've thought of buying the Rogue Ohio bar (or something in a similar price range), but funds are a little lacking, and trucking around a bar in my car all the time is a pain in the ass. New gym has all decent stuff, a prowler, and farmer's walk handles. I may stop by in the next week or so to check it out.

Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast