starting strength gym
Page 26 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnsie's Log - Part II

Default Monday - Lower Volume

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Very late night last night, and I ended up with less than 5 hrs of sleep. Really tired today, and my heart rate was up noticeably for the entire day. Also did not eat until lunch, and that was my only food prior to training. No surprise, I was less than energetic at the gym.

Squats
    335 lbs x 3 x 5
    I had originally planned to bump this up to 4 sets, but given how I'm feeling today, 3 sets was hard enough.

RDL
    215 lbs x 3 x 8
    Starting to lose my grip a little, so I broke out the lifting straps for the 3rd set. Not pleased about that.

Lat Pulldowns
    150 x 5 x 10

BB Curls
    5 x 10 (85, 80, 75, 70, 65)

Default Wednesday - Upper Intensity

Press
    210 lbs x 5 x 1
    These weren't easy, but I felt like taking it a bit further.
    215 lbs x 1 (PR)
    220 lbs x 1 (PR)
    225 lbs x F, F
    Wow. I was pretty happy to get 220, especially considering this was my 7th heavy single. Just not enough in the tank to nail 225 on the 8th or 9th single. Another day. This is still a 10 lb PR, and a 2 PR day. I thought I was months away from attempting 225.

Bench
    255.7 lbs x 4 (+1 assisted)
    I knew all that extra heavy pressing would likely impact my benching. The 1st 3 reps were really solid, the 4th slowed down a bit, but on the 5th I somehow brought the bar lower slightly off my normal bar path, and ended up further down my chest than previous reps. Without the extra pressing and weird bar path, I should have easily got all 5. Will likely increase to 260 next time.

LTE
    75 lbs x 3 x 15
    These felt way easier today than they have lately.

BB Curls
    5 x 10 (85, 80, 75, 70, 65)

Also - I saw on the site today that the SS Level 2 is coming back to Canada. I've been meaning to get to one of these for about 3 years now, and was even thinking of planning a trip to NYC or even Atlanta for the seminar. Very excited about this and I will be signing up. It would have been great if Rip came for this as I would like to meet the guy at some point, but we'll all be in capable hands. I'm hoping this will help bring my lifts up, particularly my deadlift. With some solid instruction, I may bring back the powerclean into my programming.

Default Thursday - Lower Intensity

Heart rate was up again today (Thursday), would have liked another day of rest, but difficult to do with my schedule. Had some pre-workout and got it done.

Squat
    385 lbs x 5 x 1
    First 3 no problem, last 2 were more challenging.

Deficit DL (on 1 plate)
    285 lbs x 5 x 5

Block Pulls
    340 lbs x 4 (wussed out, should have been 8)
    340 lbs x 8

Did not have time for BB rows, as I got to the gym later than normal and ran out of time before it closed. Lower back just fried after the pulling.

Also went out for a pint last night, and it ended up being a late night. Lots of comments on how muscular I've become lately from people I haven't seen in a while, which is always nice. I'm growing out of shirts like crazy, and I need to clear out half of my shirts or more, since they won't likely fit me anymore. Put on a golf shirt today, and it's pretty tight around the arms. Suns out, guns out!

Now I'm considering going into the gym this afternoon (Friday) for some prowler work, and probably the BB Rows. I'll see how energetic I'm feeling in the afternoon.

Friday

I ended up going into the gym, mostly because I needed to get out of the office. I did about 20 min of stretching/mobility stuff, then rushed through BB Rows @ 170 lbs x 10, 8, 8. Meant to do some prowler work, but had to go.

Saturday

I was outside for a couple of hours switching from winter to summer tires, and doing some brake maintenance while I had the wheels off. Hot day, not enough water, and I was really tired and sore by the evening. I didn't think I had exerted myself that much. Likely dehydrated as well.

Sunday - Upper Body Volume

Feeling pretty crappy, likely dehydrated, and possibly slightly overtrained. Heart rate still seems to be up. I really need to start measuring it.

Bench
    240 lbs x 5 x 5
    Kept it at the same weight as I'm really not feeling very energetic. Will increase next time, assuming I feel back to the shitty normal that I feel.

Press
    162.5 lbs x 8, 6, 8
    Again, kept it the same weight. Had to take a pause after the 6th rep of the 2nd set, and wimped out. I was actually surprised that I got 8 the next set.

Feeling shitty, so no accessory work today.

Monday - Lower Body Volume

Feeling crappy again today. Extremely exhausted, heart rate was up, and little to no appetite. Not really even feeling like training for the last couple of days. Possible signs of overtraining.

Squats
    335 lbs x 3 x 5
    Good Lord, shouldn't these be getting even slightly easier? Again, because I'm feeling so shitty, kept these at a reduced volume level. We'll see how I feel next week.

RDL
    220 lbs x 3 x 8
    These felt solid. Grip was much better than last week, no slipping issues. Increase to 225 next time.

Lat Pulldowns
    150 x 3 x 10
    I usually do 5 sets, but went with reduced volume.

Also, no arm/accessory work today to reduce training volume a little.

Great press PRs, man! I think that this Volume Day/Intensity Day programming is just tough. Lots of gains, but very tiring. Over time, though, I think that you also adapt to the workload. When you look over your log, there is a ton of work going on. Titrating the volume is really important to keep everything going.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    Great press PRs, man! I think that this Volume Day/Intensity Day programming is just tough. Lots of gains, but very tiring. Over time, though, I think that you also adapt to the workload. When you look over your log, there is a ton of work going on. Titrating the volume is really important to keep everything going.
    Thanks! It was an unexpected PR. Felt great to get it.

It is pretty tiring, but I'm too stubborn to back off and give myself a light week or two. If things don't improve I may be forced to do that though. Not sure what to change. I had thought of increasing my rest days, but that messes up my schedule, as I'm not able to lift on all days.

I'm going to give this some thought and maybe try this over the summer, likely lifting 3 days a week, and increase conditioning. I really need to get leaner. Too many goals, not enough time or recovery. So I may focus on getting leaner for a few months.

I went to bed early last night and got a solid 9 hrs of sleep. Feeling much better.

Default Wednesday - Upper Body Intensity

When I got to the gym, all the regular crew had come and gone, and the last guy was wrapping up. So I had to either take my chances that someone else would walk in just in time to give me a spot on the bench (which hardly every happens), or rush to the bench work. It wasn't going to turn out well either way, so I might as well attempt the bench.

Bench
    275 lbs x 1, F
    This follows weeks of continued progress at 5 singles, going up 5lbs every too weeks. 275 is also the most weight I have ever benched. Definitely a sticking point I'm going to have to break through.
    225 lbs x 8 back off set

I typically do about 20 min of stretching, lacrosse ball, and a bit foam rolling, but I went straight to the bench to do my warm ups. First single felt brutally heavy, and barely got it after a very slow descent. The spotter saved the day for the second single. Once I was done with the benching, I didn't even want to be there anymore. I feel tired, completely unmotivated to train, and in a general sense that I have overtrained.

Press
    185 lbs x 3
    I think this was the 3rd or 4th attempt at 5 reps with this weight.

No accessory work at all. Called it quits after the 2 lifts. No sense in beating myself into the ground (more than I need to anyway). Hopefully I'll get a good nights sleep tonight and be ready for a short lower body session tomorrow. Last light was not a great night of sleep.

Default Thursday - Lower Body Intensity

Squat
    390 lbs x 1
    Started to attempt the 2nd rep, but gave up right away. Decided not to push it and settle with 1 heavy single (I recently used 1 heavy single on ID going to 410). I got 5 singles at 385 last week, but I'm ok with continuing reduced volume this week.

Deadlift
    135 lbs x 5
    225 lbs x 5
    315 lbs x 5 (wasn't sure how I was going to handle DL today, so played it safe)
    325 lbs x 5 + 10 count hold on last rep (315 felt fine, so increased a little)

Block DL
    340 lbs x 2 x 8

No other back or accessory work today. 2 days of rest and hopefully I'm back in the game on Sunday.

Default Sunday - Upper Volume

Felt better today after a couple of days of rest. Kept the weights the same to be a little on the conservative side.

Press
    175 lbs x 5 x 5

Bench
    225 lbs x 3 x 8

LTE
    75 lbs x 3 x 10

Default Monday - Lower Volume

starting strength coach development program
    Gym was only open limited hours today, so had to lift in the morning. I'm not a fan of mornings.

Squat
    335 lbs x 3 x 5

RDL
    225 lbs x 3 x 8
    Lower back was toast after these.

Lat Pulldowns
    150 x 3 x 10

Page 26 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast