starting strength gym
Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnsie's Log - Part II

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Gym was only open limited hours today, so had to lift in the morning. I'm not a fan of mornings.

Squat
    335 lbs x 3 x 5

RDL
    225 lbs x 3 x 8
    Lower back was toast after these.

Lat Pulldowns
    150 x 3 x 10
    I'm not much for mornings, either. Great job in getting it done, though!

Thanks OM. I used to lift on Saturday mornings for a long time while on SS. I only ever had coffee beforehand, and this was also my DL day.

I think I'll have to do an early morning session this weekend too, unfortunately.

My lower back is getting a lot more work than it used to. It should pay off eventually.

Default Wednesday - Upper Intensity

Wow...today went well.

Press
    212.5 lbs x 5 x 1
    Technically just a tad more, as the 2.5lbs plates I used turned out to be 1.25kg, but whatever. Also, I never count the collars as weight either, which I use on everything but bench press. First rep was really tough, and the reps actually get easier as I adjusted to the weight.
    225 lbs x F
    I thought I'd attempt it again. Close, but no.

Bench
    257.5 lbs x 5 + 1 assisted...just a tiny bit
    I repeated the same weight as last time to be conservative. Then I thought...what the hell, lets do a heavy single.
    275 lbs x 1 That went well, why not...
    280 lbs x 1 (PR)
    285 lbs x 1 (PR)
    290 lbs x 1 (PR)

Well holy shit. I sure as hell didn't see that coming. Naturally I'm quite pleased. 275 was the most weight I believe I've ever had on the bar for bench, and my best was a double a couple months ago, followed by getting pinned by the same weight the following time. I think I need to make more of an effort to do heavy singles on the bench when I'm feeling up to it, as it is definitely helping my confidence on that lift. I'm now 10lbs away from breaking through that 300 lbs plateau. Oh damn, that's gonna be sweet...then 315...

Dips
    3 x 15
    These actually felt great tonight.

BB Curls
    5 x 10 (85, 85, 80, 75, 75)
    Seeing some progress on these as well.

Overall a really good night of training. I think the reduced volume last week helped me recover a bit...hopefully I apply this more often when needed rather than being stubborn.

Dude, holy shit is right! Wow, 3 great PRs! You'll hit 300 in no time.

I know right! I'm so excited about hitting that. Last week the press and this week the bench. Woohoo!

Default Thursday - Lower Intensity

Wednesday's session left me quite sore and tired, no surprise. Got out of bed and I knew it was going to be tough. I could definitely have used another day of rest. Took my time warming up, and dragged my ass for the entire workout.

On a positive note, I tried a new flavour of this pre-workout that I've been using and it is pure awesome. Grape Bubblegum. This pre-workout stuff saves the day for me.

Squat
    390 lbs x 2 x 1
    I just did 1 single last week, and I would like to stay at a minimum of 3 singles (preferably 5) before moving up.
    First rep was decent, but a touch less depth than normal. I went for a second single, and gave up an re-racked. Pissed off, I gave it a few minutes then got a solid rep. Then attempted another, it felt like 500lbs unracking it, and quickly re-racked it.

Deficit DL (on 2 plates)
    255 lbs x 5 x 5

Block Pulls
    345 lbs x 2 x 8

BB Rows
    170 lbs x 3 x 10
    Finally got the full 3 sets of 10

Default Sunday - Upper Volume

Bench
    242.5 lbs x 5 x 5
    Could increase next time.

Press
    162.5 lbs x 3 x 8
    Challenging. May increase.

LTE
    75 lbs x 3 x 15

Great squats, B. It really seems like it's all coming together. Adequate recovery is always the key, ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
    Great squats, B. It really seems like it's all coming together. Adequate recovery is always the key, ain't it?
    It sure is. Too bad I'm so stubborn though!

Default Monday - Lower Volume

starting strength coach development program
    Got my Rogue order and was excited to put it to use (as sad as that is). 3 shirts, wrist wraps (for heavy pressing days) and some DL socks. I almost look like a Crossfitter now.

This was a long session, as lower body volume days always are. Squats took me well over an hour today, not sure exactly how long though.

Squats
    340 lbs x 5 x 5
    I've been at 335 so long, that I just got fed up and increased to 340 today. First 3 sets went fine, so I did the full 5x5 volume. Felt great to get that done. We'll see how ID day goes on Thursday.

RDL
    230 lbs x 3 x 8
    Grip is becoming an issue now for the last couple of reps, and I find it distracting to worry more about my grip than my form. So I used straps for the 2nd & 3rd sets.

Lat Pulldowns
    150 x 5 x 10
    Increased back to 5 sets.

BB Curls
    5 x 10 (85, 85, 80, 75, 70)

I'm finally starting to notice a slight bit of bicep growth. Just in time for summer!

Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast