starting strength gym
Page 135 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1976

Thread: Chebass88 gets stronger day by day.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    I've watched this maybe 20 times, frame by frame, and am trying to be overly critical. What this means is that I have to get my shit together and stop practicing grinders. Allowing bullshit reps in training means bullshit reps when it counts.
    I admire your discipline on this one. I can't bring myself to not count the reps where, for example, my heels come up. I started to do extra ones to make up for it, but I think you're on to something.

It's kinda hard to tell against a busy background but the bar didn't obviously go back down when watching it for the first time "live", as it were, so you're probably OK with that.

Do the SS meet rules specify an even lockout? Can't recall off-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    I admire your discipline on this one. I can't bring myself to not count the reps where, for example, my heels come up. I started to do extra ones to make up for it, but I think you're on to something.
    Thanks. It isn't so great for the ego, and I'm not competing any time soon, but it still helps to hold myself to tough standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    It's kinda hard to tell against a busy background but the bar didn't obviously go back down when watching it for the first time "live", as it were, so you're probably OK with that.

Do the SS meet rules specify an even lockout? Can't recall off-hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    The only issue might be the slow down. If it's a halt, I think the rules would red light the lift. I don't think there is anything about a simultaneous lockout.
    Yes, in paragraph 5 of the press rules. There can be uneven extension provided they are even at the point of lockout.

I plan to address this by dropping the weight slightly to make sure form is perfect. I let the working weight for doubles and triples get too high requiring grinders to complete them all. I'm reducing to 80% (190) with very close attention to good form. I'm doing the same with the curl. In a few weeks when I test maxes again I'll redo the 230 & 175.

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Just a clock puncher workout.

Deadlift: 245x5, 335x3, 425x1, (485x3)x8

Dips: BWx10, (BW+35)x5, ((BW+75)x3)x8

Time: 60 minutes
    BW: NM

This was a solid session, despite being a little tired from max testings. I alternated deadlifts and dips, and kept rest times relatively short. Today's session was fueled by donuts and cupcakes from a kids birthday party from this morning. Nothing tops being the socially super awkward fat guy shoveling chocolate frosted glazed donuts into his eating hole while his little guys play with some trucks. Winning!

Monday, September 5, 2016

Balancing the push and pull.

Bench: 135x5, 225x3, 275x1, (310x3)x8

Rows: 225x5, 275x3, (310x3)x8

Time: way too long (over 2.5 hours!!)

Today's session was long and difficult, but I got it done, and earned increases on both lifts. Time also included putting little guys down for a nap, a halfhearted cleaning of the garage, and bench repair.

When we bought our house it came with cast iron & wooden bench in the back yard. I'm the only one who uses it because it is pretty dirty and shaky. While I was resting my fat ass on it after mowing the lawn, I was struck with a moment of brilliance and desire to repair it. So a large part of today's training was spent grinding on this bench to get the flaky paint off. Forget the big projects that need to get done - I need somewhere to park my ass while mowing the lawn.
    Last edited by Chebass88; 09-05-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Definitely not recovered for today's session.

Squats: 135x5, 245x3, 335x3, 385x1, 425x1,2

Pullups (wide grip): BWx3, (BW+25)x3, ((BW+45)x2)x6

Time: 57 minutes

Today's training was pushed up from Wednesday, due to having to travel for work. I had to handle the little guys this evening, so I didn't get in to the garage until after 9. The warmups at 135 felt tough, and 425 felt like it was the heaviest weight I've ever lifted. At least I got some decent pullups in - I wanted to see if I could repeat last week's performance (done shortly after getting a really solid squat PR, still high on "OMG I just squatted over 500!"), and got it. Definitely interesting to do weighted pullups the day after some heavy rows. But hey, you only live once. Next week will be better.

I'm interested to see what one light week will do. Last month, I had one light squat session and subbed cleans for deadlifts and was still able to get PRs on both lifts. I wonder if that can hold true for a while - I took my light squat day today, so we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    . Forget the big projects that need to get done - I need somewhere to park my ass while mowing the lawn.
    You should try a riding mower..... My zero turn is the highlight of my weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    You should try a riding mower..... My zero turn is the highlight of my weekend.
    It is tempting!

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Strict.

Military Press: 95x5, 135x3, 155x3, 165x3, 175x3, 180x26 in 9 sets

Curl (super strict): 95x5, 115x30 in 8 sets

Time: 62 minutes
    BW: 267lb

I forgot my belt today, and in my effort to return to better pressing and curling form, I reduced the poundage a little bit and did strict reps. All of the presses were done in the strict military fashion (standing completely upright, no leanback at all, heels & legs together). There were two presses which I got up, but there was a halt in bar motion halfway up, so I didn't count those. It felt really good to do these strict reps - they are far more difficult than the Olympic press, or allowing lean-back in the curl. I'm going to spend a few weeks lifting in this style and see where it gets me.

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday, September 10, 2016

Funky music + deadlifts in the garage = a pretty damn good time.

Deadlifts: 245x5, 335x3, 425x1, (495x2)x8

Dips: BWx10, +40x5, (+80x2)x8

Time: 66 minutes incl. putting weights away

This is a great day to be alive. Roast beef & rice for lunch. Funky tunes, deadlifts, & dips in the afternoon. It was pretty warm (93F, "feels like 102"), but skipping training due to it being a little warm outside "feels like" weakness.

Get up for the down stroke. Everybody get up.