starting strength gym
Page 145 of 198 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1976

Thread: Chebass88 gets stronger day by day.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    This was the first time doing anything serious on snatch grip deads - they are fun. I wore my normal deadlift shoes for the SGDLs and used straps. I foresee being able to improve for a while based on today's work. The straps helped considerably. I also got a couple of cheap PRs today - due to never having done those exercises in that set & rep combo before.
    Whatever, a PR is a PR. Congrats on many recent ones.

Also, I think you and I probably have a much different definition of fun. Light snatch grip deads = fun. Heavy ones, for a set of 10? Ick.

Thanks! Deadlifts aren't icky. They are an opportunity to pick up heavy shit and be the master of the weights. F gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Thanks! Deadlifts .... They are an opportunity to pick up heavy shit and be the master of the weights. F gravity.
    Yes, they are. And no, gravity is kinda cool.
    Last edited by slowmotion; 10-15-2016 at 04:21 AM.

Monday, October 17, 2016

A little bit more than last time = a good thing.

Run: 2.1 miles in 24:00

My objective for this morning's session was to run for 24:00, which I did. The pace is still ridiculously slow (11:24/mile), but a slight improvement over the equivalent session last Monday (1.97 mi at 11:48/mile). My goal on Thursday will be to do 2.1 miles in less than 24:00.

My idea for progress with running is to increase the time once I can decrease the pace by 10%. It is an arbitrary number with no real basis in any study, but I'll get it.

I bought a ticket for the Umphrey's McGee show in Philly on Friday night. Thanks to ROOT! for sharing this band on some (currently deleted) thread on E&P. I've been listening to their podcasts religiously for a few months now. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    If you were coming to the Fall Classic, I could give you a Wizard Burial Ground. Or perhaps a Fussy Dutchman, I have the Dutchman dated but I don't know if it was fantastic enough to take up 5 spots on what is now an overflowing shelf.
    Beer, I'm talking about beer. The brewery down the street from my house sometimes names beers after their songs.
    Thanks for clarifying. I'm in a bit of a unique spot. Even though I've been listening to their podcasts & music over & over for several months now, I know very few song titles. I've just been hitting play & grooving along.

It would be great if there was a meet in the Philly area. I guess I'll just have to get stronger and stronger, until one happens around here, or I travel to one.

Thanks for the tips! Popping out for a quick mile after lifting sounds like a pretty good idea. Do you find it difficult to maintain (vice saying fuck it, not today!)?

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Unfortunately the "fuck it, not today" force is pretty compelling, hence why i allow for a "just fucking plod through it" pace option - i often found that a minute or so in, i would go for it anyway since it would be over faster and it wasn't very far to to next corner and i could reassess then.

I train most days and found running to be one of those "if i do it every day it became almost habit, but once i started slipping with my adherence it would tail off so fast" deals, but that could equally be down to a short term goal that once met i had little interest in continuing

Also, is it Che Bass (the cuban guitarist) or cheb ass (a breast and posterior combo)?
    ChE as an abbreviation for chemical engineer (my profession), and bass is the instrument I play. Not as interesting as a T&A combo, unfortunately. The 88 comes from some pure geekery - I used to build plastic models back in high school, and I got an award at a competition for a WWII German 88mm anti-tank gun.

I've found the "can't quit until I reach the next corner / pole / etc. trick to work pretty well. If I also allow myself to think about the process, I usually end up stopping ("OMG this is so difficult - I couldn't possibly do this!").

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Woof - this isn't a GD social club, chuckles!

Bench: 135x10

Squat: 185x10, 275x10, 365x12; PR - 12RM

Rows (paused, straps): 135x10, 165x10, 195x10

Curls: 65x10, 90x10, 120x4

Tricep pushdowns: 60x20

Decline situps: BWx12

Time: 83 minutes
    BW: 262.5 lb

My left shoulder bothered me during the bench warmup, and that set the tone for the rest of the session (ARRRGGGHHH!!!). I was able to get a new squat max though, which was exciting. I had intended to do a whole bunch of other stuff, but ended up talking about all sorts of stuff with my buddy M. Definitely a ridiculously low volume of work for such a large time - sad! Next week will be better.

I need to aggressively rehab my left shoulder. It might have been caused by heavy dips (too much too soon), and I keep aggravating it with pressing work. I also sleep on my left side, and I'm likely all bunched up, on a hard mattress leading to some discomfort. In the meantime, pulling exercises don't bother it, so at least I can progress with those.

Seeing "365 x 12" made me throw up a little in my mouth. Nice work. Careful with your shoulder; hope it improves.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Seeing "365 x 12" made me throw up a little in my mouth. Nice work. Careful with your shoulder; hope it improves.
    Thanks! The mental hurdle is the most difficult part.