starting strength gym
Page 48 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Chebass88 gets stronger day by day.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by strong_over_matter View Post
    Nice squat PRs! You always manage to make a little progress and it really adds up.
    Thanks David! Regular, small increments over large times means big gains overall. I have only 13 more reps until I can get 20 at 405!

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Just punching the clock today - nothing spectacular.

Deadlifts: 225x5, 275x3, 315x1, (340x3)x10; 1.5min between sets, strict
    Snatch: (135x2)x6; ~ 2 minutes between sets

Time: 59 minutes (could have been a little more efficient today)
    BW: 241.0lb
    Program: TMOL 2.5

I thought I might mix deadlifts in with snatches. It worked well - for deadlifts. I will repeat this next week doing the snatches first. I also wanted to try doing deadlifts submaximal work, to increase speed. I don't feel fast - reps at 340 feel the same as reps at 440. Maybe timing the entire session & trying to minimize the total overall time? Perhaps using bands?

Default Moles for reps!!!

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Today's training was a celebration of MOLE DAY. Or maybe just because it was Thursday.

Press: 95x5, 145x3, 165x1, 172.5x5, 170x5,5, 167.5x5, 165x5 (mostly 2:00 between sets*)
    Squat: 135x5, 225x3, (282.5x3)x10; (1:30 between sets)
    Chins: BW+25: 5,4,4

Time: 70 minutes**
    BW: 241.0lb

Today was a pretty decent training session, with many moles of Fe lifted. Presses were pretty decent today. I mention that MOST sets were with 2:00 rest. There was one set that had 6:49 between sets. I was chatting with a fellow gym member who only has one leg. Every day he walks to the gym, does some upper body lifts, and then walks back. He was using a "loaner" leg, as his original leg had to be sent back to Iceland for upgrading. Apparently there are strain gages and a dash-pot in the device, to make performance as natural as possible, and measure all sorts of numbers. Just the knee portion alone (with electronic piece) costs $55K. My inter-set rest was skewed, but at least I learned quite a bit about prosthetic legs.

My BW is moving in the right direction, especially considering drinking Makers Mark & having a bowl of ice cream while watching Game 2 of the World Series last night. I was able to stay awake for three entire innings.

Default Another Monday, another PR on the Squat.

Monday, October 27, 2014

This was a decent training day.

Squat: 135x5, 225x3, 315x1, 365x1, 405x1, 435x2, 435x1,F; PR - 2RM
    Push Press: 135x5, 185x3, (195x3)x8; ~1:35 rest between sets
    Deadlift - DE: 135x5, 225x5, 275x15 (see notes)
    Pullups: extra wide: 3x3; close grip: 3x3

Time: 86 minutes
    BW: NM

Due to my wife not feeling well, I've played the part of Mr. Mom the past few days. It was a relief to get out in the garage during the morning feed & nap to move some weights. Despite being quite tired from a lack of sleep, I did okay.

In the squat, I attempted a 435x3 3RM, but ended up only making two reps. An attempt at a second double resulted in one rep plus a fail on the second. I've been monkeying with volume day, and due to schedule concerns, skipped the "light" day of front squats. Surprisingly enough, if you keep pushing on Volume Day, Intensity Day is a breeze. Slack off on Volume Day, and problems pop up with Intensity Day. What an incredibly profound discovery.

I've been trying doing some submaximal lifts for the Squat & Deadlift recently, to avoid training at grindy weights as well as to begin training to lift faster. I tried the DE deadlift recommendation from Rippetoe & Baker (15 singles on a 30 second clock). I don't have a large clock displaying seconds on the wall, and I train alone, so I needed to come up with a method to time the reps. I used my metronome, set at 60bpm (do a rep every other beat). I did warmups at 135 & 225 to get used to the pace & breathing, and a lighter workset of 275x15 (~48.6% of 1RM). Better to start light & increase slowly with a new training technique. All reps were done without a belt & with a hook grip. I enjoyed these. I'm planning to repeat next week, with a 5lb increase (280x15).

The rest of the day was filled with taking the little guys for a bike ride & going to the playground. Wheeeee!!!!!

Here are some videos from yesterday.

Squat PR - 2RM

Deadlift 275x15
    From Rippetoe's text, "Deadlifts work well with 15 singles on a 30-second clock". I assumed this meant 15 singles in the span of 30 seconds, which is really weird, as I would have called this a timed set of 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post

Squat PR - 435x2RM
    Damn it.
    My face apparently needs Dimoxinil.

M-T

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post

Squat PR - 2RM

Deadlift 275x15
    From Rippetoe's text, "Deadlifts work well with 15 singles on a 30-second clock". I assumed this meant 15 singles in the span of 30 seconds, which is really weird, as I would have called this a timed set of 15.
    I always assumed he meant 15 singles, done one every 30 seconds? I.e. take 7 minutes for the set. Not sure that's the training effect you're looking for though.

Quote Originally Posted by Músculo-Tonto View Post
    Damn it.
    My face apparently needs Dimoxinil.

M-T
    Thanks! I had to look this one up - great reference! I'm trying to keep your beard off my squat radar, as you hinted at a few posts ago.

C-B

Quote Originally Posted by DeriHughes View Post
    I always assumed he meant 15 singles, done one every 30 seconds? I.e. take 7 minutes for the set. Not sure that's the training effect you're looking for though.
    Yes, that makes much more sense. Even if it isn't the intended set, I think having to lift in a rigid tempo results in faster lifting. It also removes the subjective nature of making sure every rep is "faster", something that is difficult for me. I plan on trying both ways in the next few weeks, to see which methodology is better. My biggest concern is being written about on an internet training forum, about being the jackoff who brought his metronome to the gym.

I need to find my metronome. Its probably at my parents' house somewhere. It would come in handy for 1ct, 2ct, and 3 ct paused benches, squats, and deadlifts because as fatigue sets in the internal count speeds up. The metronome was a great idea.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    I need to find my metronome. Its probably at my parents' house somewhere. It would come in handy for 1ct, 2ct, and 3 ct paused benches, squats, and deadlifts because as fatigue sets in the internal count speeds up. The metronome was a great idea.
    Thanks Dwayne! If you can't find yours, Amazon has a bunch of clip-on models for very little money.