starting strength gym
Page 174 of 198 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 1976

Thread: Chebass88 gets stronger day by day.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for taking the time to type all that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    It is also pretty clear that I change programming methods WAY too often, killing forward momentum. I've learned a lot in the meantime, and have set rep maxes along the way, so it isn't a complete waste.
    On the other hand, it's kind of encouraging to see that even without strict adherence to some "perfect program"... keep lifting, and you'll get stronger. Good to remember when overthinking things.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

'Twas a sad day in the gym today.

Military Press: 95x5, 135x3, 155x2, 185x2, 205x2, 225x1, 240xF, 185x8, 165x10; PRs - 8RM, 10RM

Push Press: 240x2 (done after 240xF press)

Dips: 20, 10, 12

X-wide pullups: 4

Time: 62 minutes
    BW: 266.0lb

What a week. I walked in to the gym feeling less than stellar. I haven't been the best at sleeping the past few nights - mainly the combination of staying up late practicing for a gig this coming Friday, and a pair of toddlers who begin The Toddler Comedy Hour Variety Show as early as 5:40 every morrning. One of the guys who manages the gym was in there today, as the bearer of bad news. Our fitness center at work is basically something management has formally ignored for years. We have some waivers, pay our dues, and everything is great. They have everything we need to get big & strong. It also happens to not be staffed. Apparently it is not allowed for an un-staffed fitness center to have any free weights, any DBs over 100lbs, or any plate-loaded equipment (translation: all the fun stuff), so management is "dealing with it". We don't yet know whether it means formally making it an un-staffed fitness center, or simply hiring a halfwit to sit at a desk. It is a good thing I have a full setup in my garage.

This news bothered me something fierce, so I attempted a new maximum. I wasn't ready for 240 yet, but I did get two new maxes at 8 & 10 reps. This also might be the first time doing 20 consecutive dips (wowiezowie). The dips were done as a challenge with Y&H.

Stay strong, people of the internet.

Best of luck with the gym situation. Hopefully they hire some college kid for $8/hr to sit there and do his homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Best of luck with the gym situation. Hopefully they hire some college kid for $8/hr to sit there and do his homework.
    Thanks, Cody. I'm also on the lookout - if any of the equipment gets auctioned off, it would be a nice augmentation to my garage.

Fuuuuuck, shit like that is infuriating. Hopefully they find a suitable halfwit or at the very least you score some equipment on the cheap. Nice work on the rage-fueled PRs though.

Here is a great podcast with Marty Gallagher I thought you would enjoy. (your pm box is full)

Marty Gallagher | Simplifying Strength Training for MAXIMUM Results ? Zach Even-Esh

Thanks Shug. I'll check that out.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

When you have zero desire to train, set a new max and GTFO.

Deadlifts: 245x5, 335x3, 425x1, 515x1, 565x1, (645xF)x2, 585x3; PR - 3RM

Roman chair sit-ups: +25lb x 10

Time: 58 minutes
    BW: NM

There was zero desire to train today. Zero. Funny enough, there is a thread upstairs about how to handle a bad day. My advice was to set a new max and be done. So I did. 645 was not to be, so I made last week's 2RM into a 3RM.

After I catch up on sleep, I'll go back to developing strength with decent training. Next week.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Moving weights up & down is a pretty good time.

Military Press: 95x5, 135x3, 155x2, 175x2, (195x3)x5, (195x2)x3

Curls: 80x10, 100x10, 115x8

DB Press: 45s x 10,11,11,10

BW: 263.0lb

Despite feeling under the weather, today's session was pretty decent. It took a while, as I had to wait for a bar to become available.

Here are a couple of observations worth sharing today:
    1. It is humorous when new guys begin doling out advice freely, a month or two after touching a barbell, because they've read an "article" on Men's Health or the equivalent. We have a guy in the gym here who was instructing another lifter (who pulls mid-400s, BTW) on the finer points of the Bulgarian Split Squat. Three weeks ago, the "instructor" was not able to do a proper squat with just the bar. I'm lucky that I don't get free pointers all that often.

2. They buffed the floor in the men's locker room over the weekend, but skipped the apparently optional step of sweeping or vacuuming first. So there are a very large number of pubes permanently buffed into the finish on the floor. It has probably always been like this, and I've never noticed it. The floor was extra shiny today, so it drew attention to the "decorations".

Stay strong, people of the internet!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Saturday, April 22, 2017

When you have zero desire to train, set a new max and GTFO.

Deadlifts: 245x5, 335x3, 425x1, 515x1, 565x1, (645xF)x2, 585x3; PR - 3RM

Roman chair sit-ups: +25lb x 10

BW: NM

There was zero desire to train today. Zero. Funny enough, there is a thread upstairs about how to handle a bad day. My advice was to set a new max and be done. So I did. 645 was not to be, so I made last week's 2RM into a 3RM.

After I catch up on sleep, I'll go back to developing strength with decent training. Next week.
    I have no idea how anyone can fail a 1RM attempt on deadlift and then have anything left for...well..anything. So props for pulling a 3RM after two failed max attempts. And oddly, I am pitiful at 1RM's on deadlift so I would think they would not be as draining compared to someone whose 1RM is much higher than their 3 or 5RM. My 1RM is only about 50 lbs higher than my 5RM.