starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Spinoza's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Intensity day was pretty good.

Squats: I did 4x420. Last time I did 420's I only managed 2 reps.

BP: 5x270. Got way out of the groove (and bar became very lopsided), but I worked it out.

PC: 5x3x255. I hadn't done these in so long, this seemed like a decent weight to start back up on.

My last post submission updating my stats on my recent intensity day isn't showing up for some reason. I'll re-post it.

First, I had an OK intensity day.

Squats: I did 4x420. Last time I did 420's I only managed 2 reps, but this time I got 4 reps. My last rep was a real grind, so I didn't attempt a fifth rep.

BP: 5x270. Got way out of the groove (and bar became very lopsided), but I worked it out.

PC: First time doing this in awhile; I did 5x3x255. I missed a few reps here and there, but that happens sometimes for whatever reason -- it's a lot more common for me, I've found, to miss in these lifts on one set, then turn around on the next few sets and get them, than in more strength-oriented lifts like squats.

This is a test post. My posts weren't showing up in the thread -- not sure how I got it working after doing random shit with settings and advanced post features.
    Last edited by spinoza; 11-29-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Default test

Last edited by spinoza; 11-29-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Default Volume day.

Deadlift: 3x495, resetting between reps. I could have possibly gotten one more rep out of this, but I'm still nervous about my back. Then, I did 1x505.

Squatted 5x5x360. These were tough. I don't know how slowgain does it. I cheated a little on the last set -- I was just pooped. Maybe the deadlifts took it out of me.

BP: Haven't done them yet. I'm thinking about breaking my workouts up into smaller but more frequent sessions to manage fatigue. I've seen a few templates that do this, so I'll be mulling this over.

Yesterday I did recovery day.

I never got around to doing bench presses. My shoulders are sore. However, I was able to do overhead presses on RD however and my shoulders felt better after the workout than before. That's a good sign.

Squats: high-bar, ATG, paused (held it for several seconds at the very bottom), 315 lbs. I just did this a few times and performed other stretches and shoulder mobility work.

Overhead presses: 3x5x165. Pretty light, but I need to go easy on my shoulders. I hate having to restrain myself, but that's the way it is.

Pull ups: 3x4xBW. Wasn't too happy about my performance with these. I have put on quite a bit of muscle/fat since I last weighed myself -- I'm now ~265 pounds. I hadn't weighed myself in months -- last time I did, I was 255.

Intensity day goals:

Squat: 5x425; if I'm feeling up to it afterwards, 1x445
    BP: 3x5x255 (I didn't do a volume BP, and I don't want to do an intensity BP, so I'm compromising -- 3 sets with weights that shouldn't be too much weight nor too little to set me up for next week, assuming my shoulders respond well during the warm up sets.)
    PC: 5x3x260. Looking forward to banging out some power cleans. I must resist the urge to go for 1RM PRs.

Intensity day finished.

Squats: 5x425. I asked for a spot on this set, which was a huge mistake because the weight seemed lighter than expected, and afterwards I asked them (the person I asked for a spot from drug his friend along and they got on both sides of the bar) if they had helped any, and one said "a little bit". I'm not even sure if it helped much since it seems one had helped and the other hadn't, which is an especially bad idea (asymmetric loading for functional lifting!). I should've known better. I suppose it's my fault since I didn't explain ahead of time what sort of spot I was looking for. I think I'll stay at 425 next week and go for a solid 5 honest reps.

After that, I decided I should just do a heavy single. So, I did 1x445. Felt pretty good.

Power cleans: 5x3x260. These went better than last time since I didn't miss any reps. I think last week's power cleans smoothed things out for me, so I hoping for really good results next week.

I didn't do bench presses. Going to give my shoulders a rest from the BP -- I'll do light recovery day BP next recovery day.

Next week goals:

VD:

Squat: 5x5x365
    Press: 5x5x{Not sure yet; I should be doing 175, but I think I'll do less for the sake of my shoulders.
    Deadlift: 5x495, resetting between reps (no exploiting stretch reflex). This time, I'm determined to get all 5 reps. I think I can do it -- my back is feeling fully recovered [I think mostly I've just regained my confidence in it] after having tweaked it, and before I tweaked it I was going up by 10 pounds every volume day on it (although I was exploiting a stretch reflex while on this run). So, I'd like to get back on that schedule for a bit, although I'm going to only go up by 5 pounds for now on. Next time I go for a 1RM in the deadlift, I'll go when I think I'm good for 585 (6 plates).

Btw, I decided against doing rack pulls since I don't think I need to do them yet.

RD:

Squat: 2x5x295
    BP: 3x5x{something really light, maybe 200}
    Chins: 3x{5 or more}xBW

Intensity day:

Squat: 5x425, then 1x450
    Overhead Press: 5x{Not sure yet; we'll see how volume day goes -- max single is 225 several weeks ago}
    Power cleans: 5x3x265, then maybe 1x285 (note: this will not be a PR) if I'm not feeling too tired and I hit all my reps.
    Last edited by spinoza; 12-03-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Btw, any thoughts about incorporating sumo deadlifts into my routine, e.g., conventional one week, sumo the next, repeat. I don't know if sumo is even a more efficient way for me to lift -- I doubt it -- but it may be a good thing to do anyway. Is it? My primary fear is that the sumo is too similar to a squat, and I already squat enough.

Hey man, glad to see you're still truckin'. NICE work on 5x425. I'm having a hard time getting back into 5 rep maxes. I find any excuse to do doubles, triples or timed singles. But now I'm gonna have to try for 5x430 some time.

I don't know anything about sumo deadlifting, but superficially it looks like it recruits less glute in favor of more low back and quad. In the interest of functional strength, I will stick to conventional deads. I'm guessing there are specific anthropometries that benefit from sumo (short arms/long legs/thick torso?), but I doubt I fit the category.

Are you pressing every other week? And still seeing gains?
    Last edited by slowgain; 12-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm not really sure what you mean by functional strength -- but point taken about sumo deadlift being a mismatch with your body proportions. Mine as well, to a lesser degree -- I'm reasonably tall, and have long legs/arms for my height. I may still try them, as it is a different enough movement that it can probably be considered a compound lift distinct from the conventional deadlift. I am slightly curious to see what effects doing them would have on my physiology/performance; after all, any new compound movement can be expected to do some sort of moderately whacked out shit to you.

I wasn't pressing for several plus weeks (maybe more -- too lazy to consult logs) due to shoulder soreness (not a good kind of soreness -- inflammation). I'm going to resume my normal schedule -- or at least I'm going to try to -- by alternating BP and press, as prescribed by the basic TM template. When I was pressing, I was progressing somewhat smoothly [microplates would have helped though]. I'm hoping to resume that schedule now that I'm determined to resume my overheads.

Moreover, I should note I suspect overheads cause less irritation to my shoulders (which makes sense -- if for no other reason due to the decreased load). Motivated by this observation, I'm going to back off on the BP; certainly, at the very least I'm going to deload, even though I never really stalled on it. But I may do more than that, e.g., replace bench press with some other lift. I'm not sure what that other lift should be, but there are a few obvious choices: dips (don't think so -- they seem hard on shoulders too), more chins/pullups, ... uh drawing blanks. I didn't think I'd get this far in the BP, actually -- there was a period of several years when it was painful in my shoulders to just lift my arms.
    Last edited by spinoza; 12-04-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast