starting strength gym
Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: caveman goes for 5/3/1 for 300/400/500

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    From 1/16/14 during lunch
    Body weight 204.6

Must have slept in a bad position because my back felt "fragile" today. Not in pain or any discomfort but it just didn't feel right. Anyways, with an extra deadlift warm up set at 135, it seemed fine.

Deadlifts 325 for 5, 370 for 3, 415 for 1. The second attempt at 415 had the bar stop just below my knees. The 3rd attempt didn't budge from the floor. Lame. Anyways, I felt awkward in the start position, for pretty much every rep heavier than 300 except for 1 at 325 which just flew off the floor. I just can't seem to get into the proper position and be tight, or coiled up like a spring ready to explode from the floor.

I pulled 315 for 6 singles every 30 seconds'ish, to practice a better start position. I wouldn't call any of those very good.

Needless complaining: I don't understand how my best lift is now my worst lift. I also don't understand how I can add 40'ish pounds to my squat and have my deadlift go down 15-20 pounds in that same time period. I've lost my mojo for this lift and I can't seem to figure out where it went. I used to look forward to deadlift day, now I can't wait until it's over...

From Friday 1/17/14
    Body weight 204.4

Overhead press 120 for 5, 135 for 3, 150 for 4. Estimated 1RM = 164. 3rd rep just brushed my chin on the way up, but it was just enough to lose focus/tightness or something and make that rep much harder than it should have been. Was still able to grind out the 4th rep though. I have to wonder if I could have got 5 if everything went perfect. It's still an all time estimated 1RM PR, so it's all good.

Dips 11, 11, 11, 11, 9. Decided to get up to 12 reps across at body weight before adding weight and doing slightly less reps.

Pull ups, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4. I think. Can't remember how many on the last set, pretty sure it was four.

Ab wheel, kneeling for 10 and 10.

From Friday 1/17/14
    Body weight 204.4

Overhead press 120 for 5, 135 for 3, 150 for 4. Estimated 1RM = 164. 3rd rep just brushed my chin on the way up, but it was just enough to lose focus/tightness or something and make that rep much harder than it should have been. Was still able to grind out the 4th rep though. I have to wonder if I could have got 5 if everything went perfect. It's still an all time estimated 1RM PR, so it's all good.

Dips 11, 11, 11, 11, 9. Decided to get up to 12 reps across at body weight before adding weight and doing slightly less reps.

Pull ups, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4. I think. Can't remember how many on the last set, pretty sure it was four.

Ab wheel, kneeling for 10 and 10.

Random feats of strength on Saturday.

Seated overhead press of my wife. Hee hee. I was liked that handle of someone on this forum, 'presses people'. I can say that now too!

Handstand pushup. Still had to adjust my hands after the decent, which I'm sure makes it harder, but this time I was able to press my fat arse up! Awesome! Need to work on wrist flexibility though, as my left wrist did not particularly care for this activity. Maybe I'll make some paralletes which should be kinder to my wrists and more difficult because of the added ROM.

During lunch today 1/20/14
    Bodyweight 204.4

Squats 245 for 5, 285 for 5, 325 for 7. Estimated 1RM = 390! That's a huge PR in most everyway. Last time I did 325 on intensity week I could only muster 4 reps. This was an all out effort. I had nothing left after racking the bar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpVHvkEl74

I again walked out 405 after about 5 minutes of catching my breath. I had a crazy idea that today was the day I was going to squat this. It didn't seem that heavy when I unracked it, but as I was standing there I could feel the energy/strength leave my body, and so I did the smart thing and reracked it. No need to ruin my streak of not missing a squat rep in ages.

I'm hoping to do chin ups this evening and some ab wheel work.

Did 12 chin-ups after the kiddos went to bed. The garage was cold and I was uninspired to continue to so I went inside to watch more Breaking Bad.
    Last edited by caveman; 01-21-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added video, added chinups

During lunch today 1/21/14
    Body weight 203.8

Bench press 170 for 5, 200 for 5, 225 for 8. Estimated 1RM = 279. Tried for 9, even though I knew after the 8th one that I was looking at a losing proposition. 9th one was close, just couldn't quite clear the sticking point. I'm considering this improvement as getting 9 would have set a estimated 1RM PR.

CGBP 205 for 6. This felt heavier than I was shooting for. Probably still a little burned out from missing the 9th rep on regular bench.
    CGBP 195 for 6, and 6. These felt about right today, first couple of each set were easy, last couple were slower, with a couple in the tank.

Not really looking forwards to deadlifts on Thursday. I'll be looking for my deadlift mojo until then...

From yesterday 1/23/14 after work
    Body weight 206.0 (OK so maybe 2 donuts was a bad idea...)

So far todays deadlifts I decided to go back a textbook type setup for the deadlift. I narrowed my stance just a smidge. Made sure the bar was against my shins, grabbed the bar and did all the necessary grip futzing around, then took my big breath, and the squeezed the chest up hard while setting my back. Once that felt "tight", initiate the lift. This seemed like a major improvement to me. I felt like I was in a good strong position at the start of the lift.

Still slightly under-recovered from my squat PR on Monday.
    Deadlift - 290 for 5, 335 for 5, 380 for 5. Actually the 380 was more like 4 and then 1. My quads were on fire, and I was gassed out. Still all 5 felt strong, even though the last two were a bit grindy around the knees. Estimated 1RM = 428. I had a pretty significant lower back pump from about 225 onwards. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, just an observation.

Sumo deadlift 275 for 5, 5, 5. I think I'm going to start giving these more attention. I'll have to read up on what physical traits make sumo preferred over conventional, but I really haven't given it much of chance to see if I'm a natural at it or not.

From Saturday 1/25/14
    Body weight 206.4

I skipped Friday's session because deadlifts left me fairly sore all over and despite not having any perceived grip problems, my hands were pretty tore up in general.

Overhead press - 105 for 5, 125 for 5, 140 for 7. Estimated 1RM = 168. These felt great. Last rep was a bit of a grinder, but nothing compared to the last two weeks last reps. Sweet.

Dips 11, 11, 11, 11
    Pull ups 5, 5, 5, 4

I was trying to go quickly on these, and burnt myself out.

From lunch today 1/27/14
    Body weight 204.8

Squats 285 for 5, 325 for 3, 360 for 2. Estimated 1RM = 370. Just couldn't find the groove today. The reps at 325 all felt strong, but they were all over the place. 360 was no exception, 1st rep was decent, but the 2nd rep I lost tightness or something in the hole and it was a real bugger to save the rep. That extra effort caused the failure on the 3rd rep which also had the bar roll up my back. It's been quite a while since that has happened and since I missed a squat rep. I was pretty pissed how that went and so I loaded up 385 for a ride. I knew on the descent I was in trouble. I had that, "wow this is heavy moment" as your body struggles to keep control of the weight that is heavier than it has ever experienced before. I usually get the same feeling on PR attempts for the bench press. In any event, I got a pretty good bounce out of the hole, but as the bar speed slowed the bar started moving up my back again and I couldn't save it. Meh. In hindsight, I should have loaded up 375 as I'm pretty sure that would have gone up and I still would have set a 10 pound all time PR. Hindsight...

Now I get to wait and see how sore I'll get from missing those reps. From previous experience, it will probably not be pleasant.

starting strength coach development program
    From lunch today 1/28/14
    Body weight 204.2

Bench press 200 for 5, 225 for 3, 250 for 5. Estimated 1RM = 281. I think this is only the 2nd time that the 1RM has been over 280. So I'll consider that progress. Bar path was crappy like on squats yesterday (i.e. too close to my head, off to the right, one side going up faster than the other, etc...).

CGBP 205 for 6, 6, 6. Besides my right elbow and wrist hurting a little, these were easy. Definitely had 2-3 in the tank on the last set.

10 chin ups, 10 kneeling ab wheel outs. These didn't make my elbow feel any better so I called it.

I'm also surprisingly about the same level of soreness that I was last week from squats. Maybe the ZMA stuff really is helping with recovery and what not.
    Last edited by caveman; 01-28-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo

Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast