starting strength gym
Page 88 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: caveman goes for 5/3/1 for 300/400/500

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Missed Monday because I had an appointment that conflicted. Doubled up today instead.

Squats - 325 for 8. not too bad, definitely hard to breath at the end even with the looser belt.
    sumo deads -330 for 10. I smoked these. I could have done more but was getting winded by this point and had already surpassed the goal of 8.

Bench - 235 for 8. Not bad. Probably had one more in the tank.
    OHP - 140 for 8. Was supposed to do 137.5 but was feeling pretty good today and decided to roll with the bigger jump. Maybe one grinder in the tank. It would have been close.

Farmers walk with the 110's. Killed it, which is good because I could see a few people side eyeing me...

Thursday 3/28/19
    Bodyweight 211.3 (was 209.8 yesterday)

Deads - 350 for 10. Felt a bit off all during warmups, but the workset felt great.

Squats - 295 for 8, 8, and 8. First two sets were beltless, and I belted up for the 3rd set and that made a huge difference in being able to keep my form on point.

Farmers walks with the 110's again. Was feeling spent going into this and I wanted to see how I fared. I would say it was a bit better than the effort on Tuesday.

Buddy had to get back to work. Will try to do some chins or rows or something this evening. Want to get more work in for back and biceps...

Moved Friday's day to Saturday, so I could socialize with some coworkers.

At home,
    Bench - 230 for 8, 8, and 8. Pretty easy until the last set.
    OHP - 126 for 8, 8, and 8.

Tricep rope - 40 for 30 and 20.

Dumbbell rows - 46 for 8, 65 for 8.

Static hang for 60 seconds and then 30 seconds after a rest period.

Monday 4/1/19
    Bodyweight - 212.5. Can't seem to string more than a few days together before making some counterproductive choices... the weather is starting to get warmer and most of my new shorts I bought last season are uncomfortably tight, so that is some added motivation as well...

Squats - 360 for 5. Felt a weird little pop in my right knee during the warmup at 315. that made me nervous, and I thought about calling it there, but it seemed fine afterwards so I decided to push on. These felt pretty solid, right knee wasn't quite right, but I'm not able to tell you what was wrong about it. Last rep was a little wonky, but the first 4 felt like I had imagined they should.

Sumo deads - 360 for 8 and then 365 for 5. Apparently math is hard. Was supposed to do 365 for 5, but ended up loading up 360 because I had in my mind that 3 plates and a quarter added up to 375. I also knew that 2 extra 10's would only be 355 for so we added 2.5's because two 10's and a 5 would be the same as a quarter and that's 375 which is more than I wanted. Um yeah... So after I crushed 360 for 8, I decided to load up the appropriate weight and get the 5 I was supposed. These still went up relatively fast, but no where near as crisp as the previous set.

Farmers walk with the 110's. Did a different route which is only marginally longer. However, stopped at one end because it was getting hard. I felt like it was going to be a problem because my hands were all jacked up from yard work/chores this weekend.

Will try and do something this evening at home. Not sure if it will be HIIT, or chins, or... need to start burning some extra calories

Tuesday 4/2/19
    Bodyweight 212'ish, bit of a nonstandard morning

Bench - 260 for 6. These felt good. Elbows so far are only a little cranky here and there, but no issues once I get warmed up so far. Yay! My upper back niggle is also gone, so OHP doesn't cause any discomfort anymore.

OHP - 150 for 7. Oh damn, I crushed these. I think a grinder to make 8 would have gone, but was more than happy with 2 more than needed.

hammer curls - 20 for 20

incline dumbbell bench - 50 for 8, 60 for 15

lat pull downs - started at 135 for 5 and my buddy lowered the pin one step after each set of 5 all the way down to 30 pounds. It was awful, but hopefully beneficial.

Static handstand hold - 30 seconds.

Bit of sadness for the day - "deadlift monster" as my buddy and I have named him was back in the gym today and was deadlifting in front of the rack instead of on the deadlift platform. After his second set of 455 for 5, the deadlift police came by and told him that he needed to do those on the platform as that was what it was intended for. He says, "no problem". Picks up the 455 and walks it over and onto the platform about 20 feet away. then pulls his 3rd set a few minutes later. I have done 455 for 3 in the past and I sure has hell wasn't going to walk around with it! It's always good to be reminded that you are no where near as strong as you think you are...though it is sad.

Thursday 4/4/19
    Bodyweight 212.5 I am getting stronger and maintaining the same bodyweight so I guess that is some sort of progress...

Deads - 385 for 8. I'm always surprised at how much better the deadlifts when taking off my shoes for the last warmup and workset.

Squats - 325 for 5, 5, and 5. No issues here. The last deadlift rep drained me even though it wasn't a grinder. Took a while to get through warmups and feel ready.

Static bodyweight one arm hang for a few seconds. which was more than I thought I could do.

8 ring pull ups. last one was a questionable

Friday was a cluster because of work. Lifted at home on Saturday because I fell asleep on the couch before I made it into the gym on Friday night.

Bench - 235 for 5, 5, and 5. these felt pretty solid.

OHP - 135 for 5, 5, and 5.

Then decided to get a little extra work in with some push presses. 155 for 2. 185 for 1 and then 200 for 0, 0, 1. Sniffed a little ammonia for the first time in a long time and even though I missed the first few pushes with 200, I felt like I had it in me. 3rd time was a charm and locked that mother out. Woohoo. That's the most I've ever had over head. probably shouldn't be too stoked about that, given that I did try and strict press 185 not too long ago. haha, anyways, push pressed 225 seems like a good short term goal to have.

Then came inside and did 40 pushups.

Monday 4/8/19
    Bodyweight 212.6

Squats - 395 for 3. Felt decent. I think I could have done one more for sure.

sumo deads - 405 for 5. Yeah buddy. Was going to stop at 3 but I knew I had 4 and then I just wanted 5. I've done it before, but it's still a big milestone for me.

couple of one handed static hangs that didn't last long at all.

Then 7 ring pull ups.

lats were still sore from pushups on Saturday.

Tuesday 4/9/19
    Bodyweight 212.something

Bench - 285 for 3. Yay! e1RM over 300 for the first time in a while. I'm happy about that.

OHP - 165 for 4. Last one was a real grinder. Still a pretty solid effort. Possibly a e1RM PR at 180. Not sure.

Push presses - 185 for 3 and 3. These bothered my elbows a little bit. I need to work on using my legs to help cushion the descent.

Tricep rope - 80 for 30
    Hammer curls - 20 for 20
    Lat pull downs - 120 for 10 or maybe it was 12.
    Dumbbell row - 50 for 10 and 10
    Static hang - 60 seconds

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday 4/11/19
    Bodyweight 212.7

Deads - 395 for 1 with DOH grip. Just starting to open up at the top. Getting 405 is close, maybe even possible now with a better bar and some chalk. Then did 425 for 5. Was only scheduled to do 420 for 2, but I knew the extra 5 pounds wasn't going to be a problem and last weeks effort suggested that getting 4 or 5 should be reasonable. Warmups were moving really quickly today. Usually warmups feel like ass and then the last warmup set feels OK and the workset feels good. Today I was on point from the empty bar.

Deload starts now
    2ct Beltless Paused squats - 225 for 8, 5 and 5. Bar was slipping so started cutting the sets short to keep elbows happy.

Lunges the length of our farmer walk circuit. Didn't seem bad at the time, but my quads are on fire now.

Page 88 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast