starting strength gym
Page 89 of 99 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast

Thread: caveman goes for 5/3/1 for 300/400/500

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Friday 4/12/19
    Bodyweight 211.7 (mostly due to some GI issues last night)

Deload day

Bench - 185 for 10 and 10.
    OHP - 95 for 10 and 10
    Incline dumbbell bench - 45 for 8 and 60 for 12 and 12

Hammer curls - 20 for 20
    Tricep rope - 80 for 30
    Lat pull downs - 120 for 15

Static handstand hold for as long as possible

Just trying to get some blood flowing with a bit of a pump without aggravating my elbows. Seemed mostly successful.

Monday 4/15/19
    Bodyweight 212.something. Did OK over the weekend and then succumbed to some stress eating and drinking.

Squats - 330 for 8. Squats felt pretty good. I think I had the strength for two more, but I was definitely running out of breath.

sumo deads - 345 for 10. Decided to up the weight by 5 pounds and ended up doing 10 anyways. That was fairly close to my limit though, so will be a little bit more conservative in the jumps month to month from now on.

Did some static hangs. My left hand cannot hold my bodyweight for any length of time at all. My right hand can do 5 seconds or so. Some chalk would definitely help. that chin bar today was pretty slick for whatever reason.

no accessory work today, needed to get back for a meeting.

Might join a friend at a strongman gym in a couple of weeks. I think that would be fun.

Tuesday 4/16/19
    Bodyweight - 210.8 (intentionally had a small lunch and dinner) and the scale rewarded the relatively hungry evening

Bench - 240 for 8. Pretty sure I could have done 9, but no spotter and it wasn't worth the risk.
    OHP - 142.5 for 8. Not sure if I could have got one more. Was definitely running out of gas.

Push press - 185 for 3 after an initial miss. I should probably start warming up the push press with whatever the workset is for that day.

A bunch of accessory stuff:
    hammer curls - 20 for 20
    tricep rope - 80 for 30
    farmers walk with the 110's, normal circuit, with a static hold after I got back to the dumbbell rack
    Lat pull downs - 135 for 8 (used a different bar attachment, meh).
    Static handstand hold
    Inverted rows - 10
    Ring chin ups - 3 Arms were pretty much done at this point.

Random observed dumb stuff at the gym in the last two days.
    Yesterday, Clown #1 is benching in front of the power rack. This allows him to use the j-hooks, but necessitates him asking for a spot because he is going to try and rep out 185 until failure at about 6 or 7 reps. I think to myself why not push the bench back about 12 inches and use the safeties? Or just fawking bench one of the two benches! Fortunately, for me, I do not have an approachable demeanor by default, so I am generally not asked to participate in this nonsense.

Today, Clown #2 has his gym bag and gigundous water thermos staged by the bench with a whopping 175 on the bar. He is no where to be found. About 20 minutes later he strolls by and sits on the bench, rummages through his bag and then gets up to hit more machines. About 15 minutes after that he comes back to take some weight off the bar and knock out a set of 135 before getting up to do more other work all the while keeping the bar loaded and his stuff close by. What a giant douchebag! Fortunately, there are two benches, even though the one he was using is slightly more my preference because the hooks are just a tad lower.

Thursday 4/18/19
    Bodyweight 212.6 (apparently gained everything back that I had lost, hmph)

Deads - 360 for 10. These felt pretty good. Not as good as the last time I pulled, but good... Getting close to not being able to do 10.

Squats - 320 for 8 and 8, and then 300 for 8. First set was beltless, 2nd was belted. Then my buddy said something about 320 and I said no, it's only 300. Then he looked at me funny and counted it out for me. Duh! No wonder it was so fawking hard! Good news is that I set a beltless volume PR and I don't need to modify the program because I was questioning this programming because I felt horrible after the 2nd set of 8. Just awful.

Managed to do some lunges before heading out the door. About half as far as last time, though I was twice as tired so I think evens out.

Friday, worked out at home because work was closed today.

Bench 215 for 8, 8, and 8. New J-hooks are working out great for bench! Love it.
    OHP - 125 for 8, 8, and 8. last reps were really tough on sets 2 and 3.

pretty sure accessories were:
    hammer curls - 19 for 20
    Tricep rope - 40 for 30

Dumbbell rows - 46 for 8, 65 for 8.

After that was done, I finished working on my dip bar attachment. I did a few reps to test it out and its way better than version 1.0, though that version was much less invasive to my equipment, but I'm way passed that now.

Monday 4/22/19
    Bodyweight 215.5 (no idea what happened here, gained 3 pounds in one day and haven't given it back yet and haven't even binged on anything). I did measure my waist Sunday morning at 39.5", which is about what it was last year this time when I was weighing in at 205'ish.

Swapped things around today, because my right glute has been super tight and I wanted to give it one more day to calm the f down. Plus my arms felt fresh, so why not?

Bench - 265 for 6. e1RM of 308. These felt pretty good. Bench has come around nicely recently.

OHP - 155 for 6. e1RM of 180. Also solid work. Getting an OHP of 200 is still a goal of mine, though I was hoping that accomplishment would also have correlated with my body weight press.

Passed on push presses today. I think those are tough on my joints and I don't want to overdue it on those, though I do like the overload.

Accessories:
    Incline dumbbell presses - 50 for 8, 65 for 12.
    Hammer curls - 20 for 20
    Tricep rope - 80 for 30
    Lat pull down - 135 for 12
    Inverted row - 9

Decent arm and lat pump after this. Mission accomplished!

Tuesday 4/23/19
    Bodyweight 214.0

Worked out at home because I was busy during lunch.

Squats - 365 for 5. Felt heavy, but I think I had 1-2 more in the tank.

Sumo deads - 375 for 8. These felt good. I'm pretty sure I could have ground out 10 if I had too. I didn't want to push too hard, because I haven't decided if I'm going to switch back to the normal routine on Thursday and Friday or reset it over the weekend where there is one more day of rest.

Toes to bar - 10
    Hanging knee raises - 20

Tabata burpees - something like, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 0, 4, 5. It was awful.

Thursday 4/25/19
    Bodyweight 213.3

Decided to revert back to the normal schedule of upper body vs lower body, because I thought that deads and squats would be faster than benching and OHP because I had a meeting to go to immediately after the gym.

Definitely not feeling fully recovered though, and the tightness in my right glute was back.

Deads - 395 for 7. Did not feel on point today. Was going to just do the minimum and stop at 5, but I decided to press on and stop at 7 instead of going for 8 like I did last week.

Squats - 325 for 5, 5, and 5. Decided to round down to 325 instead of up to 330 based on how deads went. The weight was relatively easy, but felt awkward. happy to get my 3 sets in and done without an injury.

Decided to do a quick farmers walk with the 110's before leaving. It's difficult to keep up on the "extra" things I want to do...

Friday 4/26/19
    Bodyweight 213.5. Dinner was very late last night and I had some extra snacks before hand. did play some b-ball with my son at the park so I was hoping that would cancel each other out.

Bench - 245 for 5, 5, and 5. Was only supposed to be 240 for volume day, but plate math and what my buddy was lifting made this weight more convenient. Felt heavy, but I could do all reps in on breath.

OHP - 140 for 5, 5, and 5. These also felt heavy, but moved fairly well.

Accessories in rapid fire fashion
    Hammer curls - 20 for 20 and then 10
    Tricep rope - 90 for 30 and then 20
    lat pull downs - 135 for 8 and then 120 for 8
    Standing straight arm pull downs - 45 for 6 and 6'ish. Not sure what these are called. someone recommended doing them to help with muscle ups. these definitely lit up my triceps!

Finished with pushups - 25 (feet about 2in higher than hands)
    Hanging knee raises - 20

Had a huge pump after this, elbows felt a little unhappy after bench and OHP but feel fine now so I think this strategy of pump/blood flow is working.

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday 4/30/19
    Bodyweight 214.4

Had to double up today because yesterday was a no go. I'm repeating last week to make joining my friend at the strongman gym in two weeks more manageable.

Squats - 365 for 5. Felt heavy, but the bar speed was pretty consistent from start to finish. Just slow.

Sumo deads - 375 for 8. These felt pretty easy. A couple felt a bit forward. I think I could have hit 10 for a true max effort.

Bench - 265 for 6. I thought these felt good, my buddy said that they looked hard. In any event, they felt easier than last week, and I think I could have gotten one more for 7. Was running out of time and wanted to get right into OHP.

OHP - 155 for 5. Not too much rest here and the last one was a bit of a grinder.

Bench bothered my elbows just a bit today, but in general I am feeling pretty good. My right glute has finally stopped being so tight.

Page 89 of 99 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast