starting strength gym
Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Thread: caveman goes for 5/3/1 for 300/400/500

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Did bench at home on Saturday 7/27/19
    Bodyweight was 207.something that day.

Bench - 250 for 5 and 5. Paused first reps. Then 245 for 5 still with a pause on the first rep. Man that pause really sucks the life at me. I did fool with my setup a bit and found that I can plant my butt better on the bench by using the uprights to move my shoulders towards my feet while on the bench. Before I was just using the uprights to help set my upper back by pinching my shoulder blades together. I will try and take some video later to see if I get more height on my arch, but regardless, I didn't need to "relax" to get my butt to stay in contact.

OHP - 135 for 8, 115 for 5, and 95 for 8'ish (don't remember). Pretty much EMOM as burnout type of set.

Hammer curls - 19 for 20

chins - 1 (arms were dead)

Pushups - 30.

Today, Monday 7/29/19
    Bodyweight 206.5 (doing good, but it is getting tough never being full). Still trying to hit 205.x before leaving on vacay 8/1. At this point, I think 205.95 counts!

Squats - 375 for 5. hard but doable. I had a weird niggle in my low back going into this, that really made me nervous. turned out to be a non issue, but I didn't care for it.

Sumo deads - 405 for 5. 365 flew up, but these were hard as fawk. I wasn't sure if the last one was going to go.

Farmers walk with 110's. Not bad. left hand was struggling, possibly due to bad hand placement.

Chins - 5.

All in all not bad, considering I started this session absolutely starving. Once I got going it became a non issue.

Tuesday 7/30/19
    Bodyweight 205.65! Success! Any more loss before the trip is gravy! Mission accomplished.

Bench - 225 for 11, 5 and 5. Had to use the bench in the xfit room. First time on it and it just felt awkward. Got it done though. Didn't want to go heavy because I'm super worried all of a sudden about pulling a muscle before the trip. so I'm pretty much done after this workout, as we leave in 2 days.

OHP - 135 for 5, 5, and 5. That was harder than I expected, though that's pretty much where a tough volume day should be seeing that 155 only went for 4 last week at home. Meh.

Ring chins - 5

Hammer curls - 20 for 20

I'm not sure what I will change if I sign up for the meet after the trip. I will be continuing to try and lose about 2 pounds per week to make the 183 class and therefore am not expecting any strength gains from now until then. I will also be coming of a 3 week hiatus, which will make gaining strength that much more difficult and behind schedule. I think the "correct" long term outlook is to make the 183 class no matter what and then stay in that weight class and compete at states in March, which will give me enough time to build back up to what I am capable of take some state records. Squat is 424, bench is 275 and deadlift is 479. I can beat all of those now, but who knows what I'll be able to do 20 pounds lighter. I should like fantastic though, which will be a nice change...

Tuesday 9/3/19

Trip has come and gone, and so did a month of not lifting. I tried to lift a bit in Singapore, but the heaviest dumbbell in the gym was 20kg.
    Current body weight is 198.3lb. Which is just about the half way point to make my goal for the meet in November. The good news is that this number has been relatively stable since getting back, and I am done with jet lag now, and I have gotten the first few crippling workouts out of the way since returning.

On Saturday, I worked up to the following:
    squats - 315 for 1. this was pretty hard, actually. Not sure I could have gotten 365. Yuck!
    Deads - 365 for 1. I was not able to pull this DOH, broke the floor but had to set it down before lockout because my grip was not up to the task. However, I was able to pull this with a hook grip and it wasn't that painful at all. Need to start incorporating hook grip with my seriousness now if I hope to pull with that grip instead of mixed at the meet.
    Bench - 225 for 2. this wasn't too bad.
    OHP - 135 for 2. hard. Yuck.
    Chin - 10. That was actually pretty easy. Yay for losing body weight to make things easier.

I tried to squat yesterday but couldn't get past 135 because my legs were just too sore and even though I did extra sets with the bar, 95, and 135 it just wasn't improving. Called it there.

Today I did the following
    Bench - 225 for 5, 5, and 5. Last set of 5 was hard enough that I needed to take a breath after rep 4.
    OHP - 115 for 5, 5, and 5. Also not super easy.

Hammer curls - 20 for 20. Not that bad
    Tricep rope - 80 for 30. burned so much!
    Lat pull down - 120 for 10. Surprisingly not that bad.

I am hopeful that I'm not too sore after this, but I do have a rest day tomorrow, but I could definitely feel my pecs getting sore while benching. Elbows felt fine, though my wrists and hands need to get used to supporting that weight again.

I will see how the rest of the week goes. If I'm able to start lifting without debilitating DOMS then I will start doing the program that I was on earlier this year, Texas method with rotating weeks of 8, 5, and 2 rep sets. I will have the 2 rep week coincide with the week of, or week before the meet to try and get a little peak going. The primary goal is to make the weight class, 183lb, and not set any meet PR's, which in theory should be possible, but is still unknown because I do not yet know where my strength levels are at, and how much they will change up or down by losing another 15 pounds. Gotta start somewhere!

Thursday 9/5/19
    Bodyweight 197.something. I don't remember, just that it was less than 198. I need to check the calendar and figure out how much weight I need to lose each week in order to hit my goal for the meet...

Squats - 315 for 5, 5, and 5. OMG, these were hard and unpleasant. I almost quit after 2 sets. I don't remember what I promised myself as a reward for doing the 3rd set.

Deads - 365 for 5. Wow. I could tell my quads were fatigued AF from the squats. The good news is that I didn't pass out.

I had forgotten what it feels like to not feel in control of the weights. It sucks. I can see why people give up.

5 pull ups. Fairly easy, but I could tell my elbows weren't too happy about this, so I stopped. I will try, to add these in more often.

My right hip/low back felt a little funny during squats. Hoping it's a non issue, but I'm prepared to call the chiro tomorrow if still feels weird tomorrow.

Friday 9/6/19
    Bodyweight 198.3 (I think part of that is from whatever is making my legs so sore today, the other part was from a larger than usual after work snack)

Legs are sore AF today. I was hoping to be done with this by now...

Bench - 230 for 5, 5, and 5. This felt way better than Tuesday's effort. Both in relatively ease and also being in command of each rep.

OHP - 125 for 5, 5, and 5. Started to run out of gas on the last set, but got it done.

Hammer curls - 20 for 20
    Tricep rope - 80 for 30
    Lat Pull down - 125 for 12 (more like 11.75, last rep did not touch my chest)
    Incline dumbbell press - 50 for 12
    Inverted row - 10'ish
    Hanging knee raises - 20

Almost back to normal. My work capacity isn't there yet, and I am definitely weaker than 1 month ago. But feel like I'm ready to start pushing a little harder next week.

Monday 9/9/19
    Bodyweight 199.0 (not good, but not entirely unexpected as I have always gained a few pounds when starting back into a weight training program. I also started creatine again which is reported to add water weight, though I usually haven't noticed that too much). I did sign up for the meet on the 17th of November, so I basically need to lose an average of 1.6 pounds per week, every week until the meet. I'm going to try and lose 2 pounds per week for the first few weeks so that I can build up a bit of cushion as the meet approaches and as losing weight gets more challenging as I thin down. We will see how it goes. I am tired of being hungry all of the time...

Squats - 295 for 8. This was surprisingly easy, so I was going to do another set of 8, but after doing 3 I realized that I wasn't prepared for that and called it. I'm not sure if the squats were easy because of the new SBD sleeves I had on, if the new SBD belt helped, or if I was just getting back to where I was in terms of pre vacation strength. At this point, it doesn't really matter, and I plan on using the competition legal equipment up until the meet date to become more familiar and comfortable with it.

Speed Deads - 275 for 5. I was planning on doing sumo today, but my partner came today and already had the bar loaded up, and I didn't feel like bringing over a more friendly sumo bar (i.e. less aggressive knurling). So I decided to do speed deads and get some practice time with my hook grip. These seemed pretty snappy off the floor, as they should for something this light. Hook grip was solid, but my thumbs are definitely sore now. I am giving myself about 2 weeks to get used to pulling hook grip and if I can't handle it by then, then I will start practicing top sets with mixed grip. Just need to make sure that I can pull what I can and not have it be grip limited.

Front squats - 185 for 5. Planning to add these back as an accessory movement. Quads are weak and upper back feels like it is collapsing during squats. These have helped in the past.

A little bit of static hang work. My left hand grip has fallen way behind my dominant hand. It's embarrassingly weak in comparison. Lame...

Tuesday 9/10/19
    Bodyweight 199.0 (wow, I was pretty strict yesterday, that sucks)

Bench - 225 for 9 and then 5. Pretty happy to get 9 as a first go. It's weird how even during that set I could feel the life draining from my arms after each rep. it never comes back. This is not how it used to feel. Hoping that changes as I get back into the swing of things.

OHP - 135 for 6. Not bad. Trying to get some baselines for next week. I'll need to put together some sort of training program that peaks for the meet.

Hammer curl - 20 for 20
    Tricep rope - 90 for 30
    chins - 5
    Pushups - 20
    lat pull downs - 120 for 12

Most things feel heavy and awkward even though I'm moving them for decent reps. It's getting better each trip back to the gym so I am hoping next week I'm ready to start pushing a little harder set after set instead of just the first one.

Sunday 9/15/19
    Bodyweight hovering in the low 198's. Need tomorrow to be in the 197's to be on pace for meet day.

Missed Thursday and Friday because of work/family stuff. Made up the days on Saturday and Sunday at home.

Saturday
    Deads - worked up to 405 for a double with hook grip. That's a hook grip PR. I had the strength to pull a 3rd but I no longer had the fortitude to handle the discomfort of that grip.
    Backoff deads - 365 for 5 with straps. Then 315 for a couple with a DOH grip, including a static hold for as long as possible on the last one. A little disappointing that 405 for 5 is no longer gimme.

Squats - 365 for 2. Hook up my velocity meter for these because I was curious about depth and also wanted to start tracking bar speed so that I can hopefully see some improvements in speed even if I am not increasing the weight. Unfortunately, a meter was not required to determine that these were slow AF. It's very disappointing to know that squatting over 400 may not be in the cards for the meet.
    Backoff squats - 315 for 5. These were pretty much a 5RM for today.
    BackBackoff squats - 275 for 5. These were easy, much faster, and consistent speed for all 5 reps.

5 pull ups a short rest and then 5 chins.

Then did 15 seconds on 15 seconds rest for hanging mixed grip, switch sides, DOH grip and chin grip. Mainly trying to stretch out my arms and shoulders so that I can pull mixed grip without twisting my body. Should double as grip work too...

starting strength coach development program
    Sunday

Bench - 275 for 0. I did put a short pause in here, but I thought for certain I would get this for 1 with 1 in the tank. Nope, barely got it off my chest and it just stayed there.
    Then did 255 for 2, with a pause on the first rep, and it's doubtful that a 3rd would have gone.
    Backoff bench - 245 for 3, 225 for 5. Jeebus! Everything felt heavy. this was just depressing, though in a motivating sort of way. Kindof...

OHP - 135 for 5. Barely!

Dips - 10. Decided to do these instead of more OHP work. These were easy. Didn't quite do full range of motion because I think if I go too deep it causes tendinitis in both elbows. I don't have time for that now or ever!

Pullups - 5.

Also somehow I appear to have bruised my right hand pointer finger. Not sure how that happened, so I am refraining from additional grip specific work until that feels better.

I think I need to reevaluate the program I came up with last week. I can't hit those numbers yet...

Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast