starting strength gym
Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899

Thread: caveman goes for 5/3/1 for 300/400/500

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey man!

Actually thought of you the other day as I was bringing my suit pants to let the hem out a smidge so that it doesn't look like I'm wearing high water mid walking stride.

Where are you at these days?

Tuesday 2/4/2020
    Bodyweight 199.2

Still lacking motivation. Skipped yesterday, wasn't able to bench or OHP without pain.

Did SSB squats though I think the transformer bar was transformed to a different angle that made it dig into my neck. Didn't feel great.
    SSB - 315 for 3 and 3. Used a belt this time.

Then a bunch of screwing around to burn time while my gym buddy benched and pressed. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    Hey man!

Actually thought of you the other day as I was bringing my suit pants to let the hem out a smidge so that it doesn't look like I'm wearing high water mid walking stride.

Where are you at these days?
    Hey hey! About two years ago, the grant supporting my research was closer to its end than beginning (it wasn't my grant, just something I was attached to when my predecessor left for a tenure-track position at a major research university), and I had to be brutally honest with myself re: whether or not I wanted to be a lab guy the rest of my career. I ended up switching to a startup that makes tissue engineering instrumentation, ostensibly on their applications team but since we're a small operation, we all wear many hats. I travel in a sales capacity sometimes, on top of traveling to support our users, so that's been hampering training a bit, but it could be worse. This also meant a relocation to Boston, since that's where all things biotech are centered, but since I'm doing the no-wife-no-kids thing for now it wasn't a big deal, except I had to trade in a really energetic gym for one that's decidedly slower.

What are you up to?

I'm like the antithesis of your life right now. Married with kids who are now almost teenagers and seemingly needing more attention then ever. Boston is a great place. I have never lived there, but I have been a few times when I had a friend that was living there. I prefer it over DC, but I think each place has its own merits.

As for me, I have decided to turn down my professional ambitions and let my wife run wild with hers. But i've taken that extra time to focus on the kids and projects and not lifting. I tweaked my shoulder when preparing for a meet in November and it still isn't quite right, so I've finally started focusing on fixing that problem because it was interfering with almost everything in the gym. I think some friends are doing another meet this summer, so I still have some time to get my shit back together and put up some PR's then. Though I set the bar pretty high for myself at the last meet. In the 83kg class, I squatted 430, benched 281, and pulled 485. I would like to squat 440 (200kg club!), bench 3 bills and pull 500 in a competition setting. I am lacking some motivation at the moment, but I think once my shoulder starts feeling better I will be able to get back in to it pretty quickly. A little warmer/dryer weather will help boost my outlook too.

Glad to hear from you, and hope that you stay in touch!

starting strength coach development program
    Things went to hell and a hand basket pretty quickly after that last post. It's almost exactly 8 months after that post and quite alot has changed.

My globo-gym closed its doors permanently. I quit my job so that I could focus on helping my kids through school, which so far has been entirely at home. I took several, maybe more than that, months off of lifting because of lack of interest, opportunity, and any other excuse that you would like to insert. About a month ago, I started lifting again in my garage gym, which had been over taken by a couple of woodworking projects. Somehow, I tweaked my back, which made it impossible to deadlift or front squat without feeling like I was going to hurt myself. Stretching only made it worse, but I think I have finally trained around that problem and was able to deadlift 185 and front squat 185 without any noticeable discomfort.

Now that I have some momentum built up, I am going to go back to the 4day split that I was doing before and saw great results with. Hopefully, the 2nd run is just as amazing.

This is where I'm currently at
    Bodyweight 220 (yikes, not super happy about this, but we all have to start somewhere...)
    Bench - 250 for 5, 5, and 5
    OHP - 150 for 5, 5, and 5
    Squats - 315 for 5, 5, and 5
    Deads - unknown
    Sumo 0- unknown

I am also going to try and bump the RPE's down from 9 to 8 in general, to try to minimize burnout/injury/etc... I'm not getting any younger and restarting the lifting after such a long time off was difficult to say the least.

I don't currently have any meaningful goals, which is kind of a problem. Honestly, I think if I could lift what I'm lifting now and be 20 pounds lighter, I would be pretty happy. Probably need to cut back on the after dinner drinks, but I'm not ready to do so...

Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899