starting strength gym
Page 95 of 99 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast

Thread: caveman goes for 5/3/1 for 300/400/500

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Missed on Thursday because my back was in bad shape. No idea really what the problem was. Saw the chiro on Friday and it was only a bit better. lifted on Friday at home. Just a bunch of paused bench reps at 225.

Sunday lifted at another gym with some friends but stayed super light because my back still felt caddywhompus. did more paused bench rep stuff at 225 though, and a bunch of upper body accessory work.

Now Monday, my back feels pretty good, but my left shoulder is screwed up. I think the paused bench and extra frequency pissed it off. Saw the chiro again and it's a bit better but still far from functional. ugh.

On Tuesday 10/8/19 went to the globo and decided to do some squats.
    Bodyweight this morning was 195.3. Still making progress, but I will most likely come up a bit short to hit 183 on 11/17. A water cut may get me there, but I've never done that so I have no idea about how much weight that will take off for the weigh-ins. The plan stays the same regardless, get as light as possible for the meet and then stay near that weight forever or lose the last few pounds to live around 185 as a reasonably well built old fart.

Squats - 355 for 5. Squats felt great today so I decided to up the weight a bit from 335 which is what was called for. I probably could have managed 365 for 5 today, but I didn't want to get overly aggressive with how many things have been bothering me and also aware that I am dropping a far bit of weight from week to week. Very pleased to hit this set today.

Decided against pulling, even sumo, because I wanted a few extra days for my back to finish healing, from whatever pissed it off before.

Loaded up the safety squat bar, SSB from now on, because I wanted to do some more squats, and didn't think that front squatting would be good for my left shoulder.
    Worked up to 225 for 5, 8, and 8 all beltless. No idea, how these are supposed to compare against front squats or back squats, but this didn't feel terribly easy, so I think it was OK.

Farmers walk with the 110's. No problems with grip, though it did feel heavy in my hands.

Standing lunges while holding 35's in each hand. 10x per side.

Decent day considering the circumstances. Been fighting way more injuries/niggles than I am used to... just trying to keep doing the best I can.

Been a mishmash of training trying to work around schedules, injuries, etc...

On Friday I pulled 405 for 1, 1, 1, 1, and 1, EMOM with the hook grip. Still feels awful, but with some tape and trying to place my thumb carefully, it is no longer like absolute torture. Still fairly terrible though.

I had to cut the session there because kids...

On Saturday, I squatted 335 for 4, 4, 4, and 1. Form didn't feel great, left shoulder didn't like being stretched that much, and my back was starting to feel tender, so I shut it down instead of trying to force the issue.

On Sunday, I benched 185 for 10, all touch and go to test out how the shoulder was feeling. Once I got it warmed up it wasn't too bad. The pause at the bottom seems to bother me the most and it also seems like the more tired I get the more I tend to let my shoulders round over to help get the bar moving from the chest.
    Finished with some hammer curls and tricep rope, and push ups.

Skipped Monday because I wasn't feeling ready to do anything useful in the gym. Shoulder was tight and back was feeling wonky again.
    Tuesday 10/15/19
    Bodyweight 194.3, falling behind schedule and so will be attempting to do a water cut to make weight for the comp. Goal is still to be sub-190 the week before the meet and lose the last 6-7 pounds with water/sodium/carb manipulation. I'm good with whatever, I look and feel so much better at this bodyweight and with time feel like I can be as strong as I was at 210.

Today I was feeling pretty healthy and I also realized that I am 1 month out from the meet. So I decided to make this a heavy day, and will start rehab/volume work later in the week and will do a normal 4 week block to peak for the meet.
    Squats - 405 for 2. Heaviest I have squatted in a long time. I definitely could have hit this for a triple. That puts me in record contention.

Backoff squats - 315 for 6. Just wanted to get a little extra volume in.

Sumo deads - 405 for 2. Man 365 felt so good, that I thought I would rep this out. But the reps at 405 were slow and ugly so I called it at 2. Meh. Not a competition lift, meh.

Bench - 265 for 2. Touch and go reps. First rep was awesome, 2nd rep a felt my shoulder starting to complain so I shut it down, but both reps were good speed. Definitely had 1 maybe 2 reps in the tank. This also puts me in record contention, though I still need to spend some time with pausing, but need to be careful to stay healthy.

Accessories
    hammer curls - 20 for 25
    tricep rope - 90 for 30
    lat pull downs - 135 for 12
    static one hand hang, about 5 seconds each arm. My left shoulder wasn't particularly fond of this so it was probably a little less than 5 seconds.

Forgot to mention that on one of the weekend days, I did some rolling thunder grip work. I think I only worked up to 105 for doubles. Don't remember know.

Today was a good day in that it gave me some confidence to move some reasonably heavy weight for me at the lightest I've been in a long time. One month out and then I'm getting pizza and beers!

Thursday 10/17/19
    Bodyweight 194.0

I am about 4 weeks out from the meet and it just doesn't feel like I have a good momentum going. My left shoulder is still not right, and with the various hip/back/glute issues, I just haven't had as much consistency as I'm used to. I was going to do a normal deload day today which gives me 4 weeks to do one of my normal blocks with a mini peak for the meet. But I'm not feeling confident about where my deadlift is and what grip I'm going to use to pull it. The state record is 479, and it seems like a stretch that I will be able to pull that on meet day.

So instead I did:
    Squats - 315 for 8. Was planning to do 10, but the bar was sliding down my back and I was starting to bang it off the safeties in the hole. Decided 8 was close enough and moved on. I definitely could have done 10 though.

Deadlifts - 405 for 1 hook grip, 425 for 1 hook grip, 425 for 1 mixed grip. Deads really weren't feeling that great, but once I took of my squat shoes and belted up I felt like I had a much more powerful start position. I pulled the 405 and that went up fast enough that I knew I could pull 425, so I pulled that with a hook grip. The pain wasn't that horrible, however, at the top the bar was definitely coming out of my hands. It's true that I was not using chalk, no tape on my thumbs, and the bar doesn't have the greatest knurling, but that was definitely disappointing that it was not rock solid in my hands. Originally, I was going to do a backoff set around 365 to get a little more easy volume in, but then I decided I should try and pull with a mixed grip and see how it compares. I haven't pulled with a mix grip in years and I am definitely worried about bicep ruptures and how my supinated hand can sometimes pull me crooked at the start. The good news is that in the start position I did not feel any weirdness in my shoulder, and I also felt like I was fairly symmetrical. I have always done a pretty good job of locking out my elbow and I hope to keep doing that. In any event, this pull seemed just as fast at the hook grip pull, with the added benefit of without the discomfort of the grip I can focus more on the lift while it is happening and I was also able to hold the bar at the top for much longer than I could with the hook grip. So I think I have decided at this point that I will use a mixed grip at the meet, but will probably still keep messing around with hook grip because I think it would be better in the long term. I think I could have pulled the 425 for a triple, so that puts my e1rm right around 450 to 460, which also lines up with my 405 for 5 a few weeks ago. Like I said the record is probably not going to happen, but pulling more than 440 will beet my last competition and that was on a deadlift bar and a bodyweight of 196 pounds, so I am in good shape for a meet PR.

Did 8 pull ups before heading out. Will try and do some hip stretches tonight as well as more grip work to make sure that I can hold on to whatever I decide to load up in month.

Monday 10/21/19
    Bodyweight 193.6

Tried to bench over the weekend, but didn't get past 185 because my shoulder didn't feel that great. Been trying to massage it and stuff, but it's not getting much better, so I have scheduled a massage for tomorrow to try and open it up some more.

Squats - 365 for 5. these felt heavier than I would have liked, but I could have done one more if I need to. Probably didn't help that my rack position didn't feel that great because it was putting a lot of pressure on my shoulder.

Sumo deadlifts - 385 for 5, with straps. Pulled 365 for my last warmup with DOH grip with no problem.

Safety squat bar - 225 for 8. Wanted more volume, but was running out of time so I just warmed up quickly with the bar and let it rip.

Will try and do some additional grip work tonight and some more hip mobility work as well.

Skipped bench on Tuesday and replaced it with a deep tissue session on my shoulder. That was unpleasant. It's better, but still not normal...
    Thursday 10/24/19
    Bodyweight 193.6

Squats - 385 for 3 and 3. Then decided that my form was breaking down, upper back rounding out of the hole and dropped the weight.
    Backoff squats -365 for 3. In general, i thought these all moved pretty well. I'm pretty sure that I could have grinded out 5 reps at 385 for an all out set. it's weird, it felt heaviest unracking it, but squatting it wasn't that bad...

Deads - 405 for 3 and 3. Mixed grip for all sets. left hand was failing me on the 3rd rep, plus I didn't feel super confident in my form today so I called an end to that weight.
    Backoff deads - 365 for 3. these were significantly easier. Held the last rep for a bit for some additonal grip work.

Trying to get some extra volume with heavier weights to try and get a bit of a supercompensation for the meet. Not sure it will work out given how beat up I have been feeling for a while now. I'll keep banging on it though. Realistically, I can hit the squat record. the bench record is also mine if I can get my shoulder happy. Deads is the only one which is currently a bit of a stretch. need to lose a few more pounds in the next few weeks and then hope that a water cut works for me...

Friday 10/25/19
    Bodyweight 192.7 (It will be such a monumental milestone to hit something less than 190.0!)

Bench - 185 for 3, 225 for 3, 185 for 3, 3, and 3. Shoulder was largely pain free, but at the first hit of discomfort I shut down each set. Unfortunately, 225 felt heavy. Main goal is stay healthy. Honestly, shoulder feels the best it has since it started bothering me.

Didn't bother trying OHP as the range of motion isn't there yet.
    Incline dumbbell press - 45 for 10, 55 for 10 and 15. Trying to get blood flowing and some additional volume for bench.

Hammer curls - 20 for 20 (easy)
    Tricep rope - 90 for 30 (hard)
    Lat pull down - skipped, it caused pain to get into position
    Farmers walk - 110's to cardio room and back with a hold back at the rack. (easy'ish)
    Inverted rows - 10 (hard, but zero pain)
    Pushups - 30 (just starting to get hard). Sick pump bro.

Monday 10/28/19
    Bodyweight 192.7

Squats - 405 for 3, 385 for 3, 365 for 3. 405 for 3 felt pretty good. I think I had at least one more in the tank and grinding out a 5th one seems like it could have gone either way. In any event, that puts me ahead of where I thought I was and in a good place to hit 425 at the meet. Did some back off work for extra heavy volume.

Deads - worked up to 315 for 2. Was planning to do some "speed" work at 315, but these just felt awful, so I called it so that I can have a good effort on Thursday's session.

Inverted rows - 12. These were pretty explosive, surprised myself actually.

Will try to add some grip and core work this evening, but I wouldn't hold my breath as I have bazillion things going on at the moment.

Priority at the moment is that I want to lose 3-4 pounds in the next 2 weeks, so I need to dial up the strictness a bit to lose more than the 1lb/week I have been averaging for a while. Definitely some recomp going on as I have what appear to be bumps where abs are supposed to be...

I have been lifting. Just been generally busy and not logging.

I did a kind of mock meet at home where I know what the weights way.
    Squats did 365 and 405 for singles. The 405 was harder than I expected, and I didn't want to force the issue so I called it there. That was a little disappointing...

Deads - 405 for 1 moved relatively well, and in general I felt like I was getting in a good strong start position so I decided to keep going. 436 for 1, moved well enough that I ultimately decided to try and go for a little more. Loaded up 455 (which has an actual bar weight of 458.1) and that felt pretty close to a max effort lift. I'm pleased that this went up. I've only lifted this much in my home gym once before and that was at a much higher bodyweight. I'm also pleased that my grip was solid with no noticeable finger opening or other shenanigans. Comp day might go something like 400, 440, 480. 480 is for the record and I agree that I will have to be having an awfully good day for this to go up. If 440 is a grind, then I will go for something more modest.

Bench - I worked up to 265 for a paused single. My left shoulder is still screwed up, but fortunately, benching with reasonably strict form seems to be OK for the moment. then I did 245 for touch and go 3, and then 225 for another 3.

starting strength coach development program
    today Monday 11/4/19
    Bodyweight 191.1

Squats - 405 for 2 at the globo. then 385 for 2, then 365 for 3.

Deads - 365 for 3 or 4 singles with 60-90 seconds rest approximately.

in general, I felt achey all over and just didn't feel fresh. I blame this on sneaking in an extra bench session last night at home to try and increase the frequency seeing that volume and intensity have been lacking because of my worries about my shoulder. I did 245 for a paused single. Which felt decent. And then without much rest did 225 for 8 touch and go. then some hammer curls, and then 30 pushups inside for some additional blood flow.

If my elbows are achey tomorrow, I might push this one day, though I'm not sure. I may also just go light and grease the groove. I'd like to get one more week of some heavy intensity before resting, mostly, the week of the competition.

Page 95 of 99 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast