starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garb's Quest for Power

Default Garb's Quest for Power

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been creeping from a distance for some time and decided to make my move and add another log to the pile...

Introduction
    I'm 26, 5'7" and currently weigh in slightly over 180. I live in South Jersey (those from jersey know what I'm talking about) and have been lifting (again) since about February. I started SS in the middle of March and switched to TM in August.

I just started doing 1x3 on Intensity Day but will probably switch back to 5's by the end of the year. I lift on Tues, Thurs and Sat.

Goals
    I would like to squat 355, bench 285 and deadlift 390 for triples by the end of this year. I'd like to bring those numbers to about 405/315/455 by the end of next year (2014).

Current Lifts
    As of yesterday:
    Squat 335 x2 followed by a single
    Bench 265 x3
    Deadlift 370x3
    Press 140 3x5
    Power clean 170 5x3

Volume Day

Squat: 290 5x5 Much better tonight, I failed on my third rep on sat. I believe it was from going too deep which caused everything to loosen up out of the bottom. I tried to focus more on my setup and easing into the bottom...ha!

Bench: 230 5x5

Clean: 170 5x3

Squats felt great, pretty sure I like nothing better than doing squats for volume. Although that relief p*ss between sets 4 and 5 on bench comes in at a close second. Power cleans were a mother f***** tonight. To top it off, I locked my keys in my car. It's raining up here in the northeast. Hour and a half later...fml
    Last edited by Garb; 11-27-2013 at 08:19 PM.

My gym was closed yesterday (like it was some kind of holiday) so I took the day off. It would have been recovery day anyway and the only real lifting would have been press/pull ups. I did lift a fork to my face and indulged in some wine.

PR's tomorrow.

So I've been doing some browsing around the forum, and noticed that the only people doing triples (1x3) on intensity day we're woman. I can't help but think that the decision to switch from 5's to 3's was the wrong choice and a bit of a copout. I think I going to switch back to 5's at my last successful attempts.

If anyone out there has an opinion, please share. Am I overreacting?

Intensity Day

Squat 335 1x3, followed by a single

Bench 270 1x3

Deadlift 375 1x3

Felt good today. My last rep of squats felt high (can't be sure as I lift solo) so I racked, reset and followed up with a single.

Squat 292.5 5x5
    Bench 232.5 5x5
    Clean 175 5x3

Very solid tonight. Squats felt great and very light tonight. Bench was a little tougher, really and to push that very last rep.

Squat 235 2x5
    Press 140 3x5
    Pull-ups 10,9,4

So the wife decided that she wanted to learn how to squat today and joined me for my workout. Started slow then gradually added the bar. I tried to explain it like Rip does, but I'm definitely NOT the same caliber coach. Took a while but she started to get it. Last couple sets with just bar were pretty good with form, tho she was a little high...but considering she's never had weight on her back before and I suck at explaining technique, I thought she did great. We'll see how long her enthusiasm for lifting lasts when she has to sacrifice spin class.

Squat 340 1x3
    Bench 275 1x2
    Deadlift 380 1x3

Felt like a beast today. Squats were great, definitely left some in the tank..easily could have gotten one or two more reps. Failed on my third rep on bench. Next week I'm going to drop to 250 for a set of five and move up from there. Last rep of deadlifts was slow, but I managed to lock out no problem.

Squat 295 5x5
    Bench 235 4x5, 1x4
    Clean 175 2x5

Had an issue at work today that I couldn't stop thinking about. I attribute my last rep fail on bench to lack of focus. Was also running late on time so only two sets of power cleans. But excuses are excuses so enough bitching from me.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 297.5 5x5
    Bench 235 5x5
    Clean 175 5x3

Got it in today. I've been throwing around the idea of competing in a powerlifting competition February 8. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to compete, but I just can't help myself. I'm going to see how my next intensity day looks and re-evaluate my thoughts.
    Last edited by Garb; 12-16-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast