starting strength gym

Thread: Leumas' ultimate log of ultimate destiny

Post Leumas' ultimate log of ultimate destiny

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Switching over from the general section.
    M/35yo/5'11"/240

Here's my old log: Leumas' training log

Starting my 7th week of Texas method. Think I'm also going to tweak notation:
    Weight, sets x reps

Squat 355 5x5
    Bench 290 5x5
    Power Clean 225 2x3

Not much to say about squats. Some d-bag was doing curls in the power rack...
    Bench--think I've finally gotten the back-arch thing down, and I can tell it's made a difference. Today was a 5x5 PR but it feels like it's been getting easier.
    Ran out of time on the cleans, realized I was going to be late for work.

Light day.

Another 5:30AM session, cause I'm playing a gig right after work, so I'll be busy from about 7:30AM till 9PM. Long-ass day.

Front Squat 255 3x5
    Press 170 3x5
    Power Snatch 150 3x5
    Weighted Pull-up 10 3x5

Was planning on doing FS triples but they were going up easy so did sets of 5.
    Press was an absolute battle. Had the shakes so bad I almost dropped the bar. Debating whether to go to 2.5lb increments or wait till I stall.
    Starting light on the weighted chins, making sure to come to a dead hang on each rep.

Probably shouldn't have done this.

Realized I was not going to have time to train tomorrow so decided to do my intensity workout this evening. Technically it's been 36 hrs since my last session, plus I get the bonus of reduced perceived exertion in the evening as opposed to morning.
    Here are the results:

Squat 385 1x5
    Bench 315 2x3
    Deadlift 445 2x3

I had actually decided to break squats up into two triples today, but after 3 reps I knew I had 2 more in the tank so I went for it.
    Bench was tough. This is the only lift that seems to go better for me in the morning.
    Deads were raging. Once again, first triple went smoothly enough but the second was a bit of a grinder. Didn't even try to set that last rep down gently, just let the thunder roll.

This is week 8 of TM; not sure how long I'll be able to keep this up without changing something. The volume day is just a bit much.
    (Yesterday)

Squat 360 5x5
    Bench 295 2x5, 280 1x5, 265 1x4
    Power Clean 225 3x3

Squat all-time 5x5 PR.
    After 2nd set of bench, knew I wouldn't be getting 5x5, so I decided to employ drop sets based on RTS. Can see it's going to take some getting used to.
    Cut power cleans to 3 sets bc I was just done and my form was sucking.

"Light" day (yeah right)

Front Squat 260 3x5
    Press 175 1x4, 155 2x5
    Pull-ups 20 3x5
    Power Snatch+BTN Push Press 3x1

Front Squat is holding so far, though I could tell I was breaking down a little by the last couple reps of the last set.
    Press just wasn't there today. Might start rotating that one out.
    The little complex was just for something different, and I really enjoy BTN Push Presses.

I've been reading a lot about the RTS method and thinking about incorporating that into my training, but I want to try to ride out the Texas method as long as possible.

Oh, BTW: realized I made a small miscalculation in converting kg-lbs on Monday's power cleans. Apparently I did 112kg which is about 246lbs, not 225. No wonder they felt so slow.

Yesterday: intensity.

Squat 390 1x5
    Bench 320 2x3
    Deadlift 450 2x3

Bench was another grinder. Second set actually seemed easier--maybe I'm not warming up enough.
    On the last set/last rep of deads, I heard/felt a loud pop. Startled me so bad I dropped the bar (I was close to lockout at that point, so I counted it). My first thought was "OMG I've slipped a disk, or torn something..." Turned out it was just old-man joints cracking, didn't feel any unusual pain after the set. Guess I need to make it a point to foam-roll all the snaps and crackles out before next time.

starting strength coach development program
    Didn't start my workout until 8:30 PM, which is at least 3 hours later than usual. Had an extremely taxing weekend, not much in the way of recovery.

Squat 365 4x5
    Bench 295 3x5

This is all I had in me. These are still volume PRs at these weights, but I just didn't have the 5 sets. Had some neck pain while warming up power cleans so decided to skip them.
    This may be my last week on TM. Thinking of moving to an RPE-based 4-day/week program.