starting strength gym
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength Cult

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tcul1972 View Post
    Good job on the first meet. Hope you don't mind if I follow along to see you get that 1000 total and eventually the 1300. Also, at 42 years old, I am sad to hear that 43 is an advancing age
    dont mind at all-- honored actually

I joke about my age... I actually feel much better at 43 then I did in my 30s. I saw your log-- I used to smoke cigarettes too. So by the end of my 30s I would wake up coughing up little hard balls of phlegm and I would have chest pain. I quit about 5 years ago, So really I feel like I am 20 again and plan to be stronger at 50 than I have ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    dont mind at all-- honored actually

I joke about my age... I actually feel much better at 43 then I did in my 30s. I saw your log-- I used to smoke cigarettes too. So by the end of my 30s I would wake up coughing up little hard balls of phlegm and I would have chest pain. I quit about 5 years ago, So really I feel like I am 20 again and plan to be stronger at 50 than I have ever been.
    I am with you. Even in my current funk I am healthier than I have been since my late teens/early 20s. good job quitting the smokes. July 15th was 8 years for me.

Monday Aug.18

Squat
    WU

285 x 5 x 3

Bench
    WU
    192 x 5 x 5

BB Rows

135 x 10 x 3

felt good, nothing special. weight felt light but I'm still a few weeks away from PRs. I wanted to do some chins but ran outta time. Need to get a little more efficient

Wed. Aug. 20

squat
    wu
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5

Press
    WU
    135 x 3 x 5 (Planned to do 3 sets of 5 but on the first set I knew I wouldnt get 5 so I switched to trips)
    95 x 8 x 2

chins
    BW X 3, 3

Felt good today but not very impressed with my press. But, whatever, I know what to do. I am going to run trips until I stall and then re-set and get 5s. If it doesnt I will figure out a way to get in more volume. I am light weighed in at 214 this morning. I had my sister-in-law staying at my place for the last few days definitely interrupted my eating routine. Going down the shore this weekend. Things will be a little screwy but everything will be fine if I start eating again.

Wed. Aug. 20

squat
    wu
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5

Press
    WU
    135 x 3 x 5 (Planned to do 3 sets of 5 but on the first set I knew I wouldnt get 5 so I switched to trips)
    95 x 8 x 2

chins
    BW X 3, 3

Felt good today but not very impressed with my press. But, whatever, I know what to do. I am going to run trips until I stall and then re-set and get 5s. If it doesnt I will figure out a way to get in more volume. I am light weighed in at 214 this morning. I had my sister-in-law staying at my place for the last few days definitely interrupted my eating routine. Going down the shore this weekend. Things will be a little screwy but everything will be fine if I start eating again.
    The press is by far the lift that my weight loss affects most. I'd be lying if I said I really understood why. Don't worry about it, get your heroic eating back on track, and you may even find that you can hit 5's without too much trouble at your next work weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    The press is by far the lift that my weight loss affects most. I'd be lying if I said I really understood why. Don't worry about it, get your heroic eating back on track, and you may even find that you can hit 5's without too much trouble at your next work weight.
    that seems right.. eating is the key. I am about 215 right now. I would like to walk around at 230 so I am shooting for a lb or two per month for the next year or so.

Aug. 22 Friday

squat ID

WU
    305 x 5

Bench
    wu
    202 x 4

Deads
    wu (hook grip)
    320 x 5 (over/under grip)

ignorant stuff = for chest and arm pump

played around with the hook grip on deads. Not too bad. my training partner effed up his shoulder and we think it was from using the over under grip on deads. So he is trying out the hook grip and I am going along in solidarity.

Squat felt good. Nice and heavy. Immediate goal is 315 x 5 which will be a rep PR-- 2 weeks. Wanted to get my pump going so I did some incline db bench and some curlz.

Taking the family down the shore tomorrow... I wont be back till tuesday. There is a crossfit close to where I am staying I might try to train there on monday.

MOnday 8/25

on vacation but trained at Atilis GYm in Wildwood... nicer than my home gym

squat
    290 x 5 x 2
    290 x 1 (my hamstring kind of popped so I stopped there... felt funky a few times afterwards but apparently no permanent damage)

Press
    WU
    135 x 3 x 5

cut it short since vacation

Wed. 8/27 (back home)

Squat light

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5

Bench
    194 x 5 x 5

BB Rows
    155 x 8 x 3

incline DB press for pump
    40s x 12
    45s x 12
    50s x 12

Going down the shore after work on Thursday... I'll probably get to Atilis's again on Friday... wont be able to train on labor day. I am going to come up with a plan aftre vacation so I can hit some big PRs around my 44th birthday in February

MOnday 8/25

on vacation but trained at Atilis GYm in Wildwood... nicer than my home gym

squat
    290 x 5 x 2
    290 x 1 (my hamstring kind of popped so I stopped there... felt funky a few times afterwards but apparently no permanent damage)

Press
    WU
    135 x 3 x 5

cut it short since vacation

Wed. 8/27 (back home)

Squat light

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5

Bench
    194 x 5 x 5

BB Rows
    155 x 8 x 3

incline DB press for pump
    40s x 12
    45s x 12
    50s x 12

Going down the shore after work on Thursday... I'll probably get to Atilis's again on Friday... wont be able to train on labor day. I am going to come up with a plan aftre vacation so I can hit some big PRs around my 44th birthday in February
    Awesome that you're lifting on vaca bro. Great work. You'll nail some PR's well before February with that kind of commitment!

starting strength coach development program
    Nice job Keith. You'll crush your PR goals in Feb!

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast